Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few questions after our first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. So we played our first Conflict of Heroes game ever and few questions came in mind. Let me start by saying that Im sure some of these are answered in the rulebook, but lately Ive looked through it so many times that I just seem to be blind for those parts, so bare with me. modest

Mines:

1# When a tank drives into a mine, after the resolution can the tank move the rest of its movement if its still functional? Or does it have to stop on the hexagon.

2# Are the mines removed from the board only when they are shot off? Or are they removed after a unit steps on it and it explodes.

Tanks/ Vehicles:

3# When a tank moves, can it pivot at every hex it goes into, or only after all the moves? Question came up when player wanted to first move a hex forward, and then backwards, it would be allowed if the tank can pivot on every hex it enters.

4# Can infantry move on a vehicle and load itself on it by paying the open terrain movement cost, or does the vehicle have to do it? In the rules it says only that the vehicle moves onto the same hex as the unit so it would seem to be so. (It just would seem wise that the infantry could do this themselves too).

Shared activations / group movement

tshh.. I dont know why this part of the rules is so hard for me. Im probably just thinking too deeply about it.

5# If I use CAPS to fire (or move) with a group of three, I can still activate them separately isnt it so? But if I use AP:s and group-move/fire that means they form a group with the same AP-pool, and I have to mark them all as spent after the AP:s run out?
So group-actions automatically form a group, with a shared AP-pool for all the participants?

For our first game we had four players, so we played the firefights 13 and 14 as one big game. Not a great one to start because of its complexity, but we did allright and learned a lot. Today we are having another go at it. This is my first real wargame so im not too familiar with the concepts hence the questions. Everyone enjoyed the fight so its a great game.

Anyone know which firefights you could play side by side other than ff:s 13 and 14? (components wise). I mean if you would like to play 2 different fights at the same time.

Any help and clarification is greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So we played our first Conflict of Heroes game ever and few questions came in mind.

Looking at your questions, I would not recommend a firefight with mines and armored vehicles for a beginner. You'd better learn the basics with pure infantry and then move on to more complex scenarios.

Quote:
1# When a tank drives into a mine, after the resolution can the tank move the rest of its movement if its still functional? Or does it have to stop on the hexagon.

It can continue moving.

Quote:
2# Are the mines removed from the board only when they are shot off? Or are they removed after a unit steps on it and it explodes.

Mines (marker) stay on the board until they are succesfully cleared by artillery/mortar fire or foot unit fire (see 18.5). So, a minefield can explode unlimited times, any time an applicable unit enters, it can go off again.

Quote:
3# When a tank moves, can it pivot at every hex it goes into, or only after all the moves? Question came up when player wanted to first move a hex forward, and then backwards, it would be allowed if the tank can pivot on every hex it enters.

A unit can pivot every time immediately after it enters a new hex (as part of the movement). This includes bonus hexes for vehicles. So, a tank moving one hex plus two bonus hexes can pivot three times, once after every hex.

Quote:
4# Can infantry move on a vehicle and load itself on it by paying the open terrain movement cost, or does the vehicle have to do it? In the rules it says only that the vehicle moves onto the same hex as the unit so it would seem to be so. (It just would seem wise that the infantry could do this themselves too).

Infantry can not move onto a vehicle by itself, it is a group action which needs participation of the vehicle. You can either do a shared activation (vehicle + infantry) or do CAPs-group-action or card-group-action or group-opportunity-action (read 17.0 and 9.11 for more details). This applies not only for loading a unit, but also for the transport and unloading.

Quote:
5# If I use CAPS to fire (or move) with a group of three, I can still activate them separately isnt it so? But if I use AP:s and group-move/fire that means they form a group with the same AP-pool, and I have to mark them all as spent after the AP:s run out?

Yes, using CAPs on units does not make them used, those units are still fresh and can be activaded individually or shared later. You got it.

Quote:
So group-actions automatically form a group, with a shared AP-pool for all the participants?

As you wrote above yourself, a group action can be done in more ways than by spending pooled AP points from units which are group activated. You can also do a group-CAP-action, play a card as a group action, or do an opportunity group action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomyrgon wrote:
Hi. So we played our first Conflict of Heroes game ever and few questions came in mind. Let me start by saying that Im sure some of these are answered in the rulebook, but lately Ive looked through it so many times that I just seem to be blind for those parts, so bare with me. modest

Mines:

It can continue its movement provided it hasn't been destroyed, immobilized, etc.

Quote:

Only after they have been specifically destroyed / shot off. It's a full mine field, so a mine going off does not mean the entire mine field is gone.

Quote:

Tanks/ Vehicles:

Good question. My gut feeling would be no, they can't pivot until their movement is final, but I'll have to ask Uwe to be sure.

Quote:

Loading and unloading is a group action, so in reality, both units pay the cost. Essentially it takes up the time of both the vehicle and the foot unit, so it must be a group action.

Quote:

Shared activations / group movement

tshh.. I dont know why this part of the rules is so hard for me. Im probably just thinking too deeply about it.

Yes, you have this right.

Quote:

Anyone know which firefights you could play side by side other than ff:s 13 and 14? (components wise). I mean if you would like to play 2 different fights at the same time.

There's a new firefight that will be available in the near future that's designed around this idea - it's pretty sweet and I think you'll like it. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Volckaert
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tomyrgon wrote:

Check out the Chercasskoye Firefight Campaign on the academy website http://academy-games.com/firefights-a-updates/firefights. It features 4 beginner to intermediate battles that can be played at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the responses. Seems like we played it right then, just had some doubts about myself. modest

And yeah Yalnin you are right, it would not have been my first choice also as a firefight but we had four players wanting to play the game, so I just read the rules pretty thoroughly and tried it. Progress was slow ofcourse, but then again I now have three buddies who know how to play the game. whistle

And yes Im looking forward for the upcoming firefights, and Il definitely check that Chercasskoye out. Thx for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.