Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
114 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Socialized medicine is bad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother found this on the internet. It's like a year old, apologies if it has been posted before.

This morning I woke thanks to my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly which is regulated by the US Department of Energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turned on the TV to an FCC regulated channel to see what the National Weather Service of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I watched this while eating my breakfast of US Department of Agriculture-inspected food and taking prescription drugs which have been determined safe by the Food and Drug Administration.

At the appropriate time, which I was aware of thanks to the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory, I got into my National Highway Traffic Safety Administration-approved automobile and set off to work, navigating the roads built by the local, state, and federal Departments of Transportation, stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level guaranteed by the Environmental Protection Agency. In exchange, I offered legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank. On the way out the door I deposited my mail to be sent out via the US Postal Service and dropped the kids off at the public school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work thanks to workplace regulations imposed by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and enjoying another two meals which again did not kill me thanks to the efforts of the USDA, I drove my NHTSA vehicle back home on the DOT roads, to my house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal’s inspection, and which has not been plundered of all its valuables thanks to the local police department.

I then logged on to the internet (which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration) and posted on freerepublic.com and fox news forums to let everyone know that socialized medicine is bad because the government can’t do anything right.
28 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Makes you wonder how people even managed to survive before they were paying 50% or more of their income to the various levels of government.

I think if you go back long enough, you will find that none of them did.
17 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pssh, I can build my own roads. It'll be cheap too, using dried gruel.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the government! It's just like a big brother!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I love the government! It's just like a big brother!


And it loves you Quozl!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
serdudds wrote:
quozl wrote:
I love the government! It's just like a big brother!


And it loves you Quozl!


BUt don't let it touch you, you don't know where it has been
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Oooh!!! Oooh!!! Is this the thread where I can post that letter the Canadian guy wrote about how unappreciated America is? It is? AWESOME! I'll go and Google the one from Robin Williams where he admits he's a conservative and post it as well....... Hey! Wait a minute! This thread belongs in Chit Chat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even pokemon have socialized medicine. Ash never pays a dime when he takes his pokemon to the pokecenter for treatment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but we'll pay quite a dime for Pokeymanz 5, which I would bet the cost of a 3DS and said game that it's being moved to the 3DS. :-(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The guy who wrote that failed to mention he talked on a phone that was monitored by the FBI, paid taxes to support people who were scamming the system, paid taxes to a government that refused to help truly needy people because they couldn't jump through all the hoops the scammers had mastered, had his garage torn down because he didn't get it preapproved by the zoning committee, was audited by the IRS because they lost his tax returns, was denied coverage by the VA because the DOD lost his service records, was ticketed because his kid wasn't wearing a bicycle helmet in his own driveway, had his house raided as a suspected meth lab because he bought 1 more Sudafed than was legal in his state, had his car broken into by illegal immigrants who were released from jail because his local cops are barred from cooperating with the feds, had to take in his grandmother because she couldn't afford the property taxes on the house she has lived in for 50 years, spent the afternoon waiting in line at the DMV, and was almost arrested for walking into a federal building with a pocket knife in his pocket, only had 3 channels to choose from on his TV because the government regulated broadcast stations out of existence, wasn’t allowed on a plane because he brought the wrong size tube of toothpaste, and finally had his basement flooded because the weather service on which he relied failed to predict the record rain storm.


That's right! Because people will cheat any system, we should have no system. It's much cheaper and more efficient.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But if we don't have a system, they might come to our homes and rob us! So why not shoot everyone anyway?

It makes me think of a former boss of mine, who wanted fraud prevention to be the retail store chain's number one priority. I proposed that if it really was the number one priority, that then the best thing we could do was just to close the stores: If we don't have merchandise or cash in hand, nobody can rob us.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
It makes me think of a former boss of mine, who wanted fraud prevention to be the retail store chain's number one priority. I proposed that if it really was the number one priority, that then the best thing we could do was just to close the stores: If we don't have merchandise or cash in hand, nobody can rob us.


How much cash did you safeguard?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
CapAp wrote:
My brother found this on the internet. It's like a year old, apologies if it has been posted before.

This morning I woke thanks to my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly which is regulated by the US Department of Energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turned on the TV to an FCC regulated channel to see what the National Weather Service of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I watched this while eating my breakfast of US Department of Agriculture-inspected food and taking prescription drugs which have been determined safe by the Food and Drug Administration.

At the appropriate time, which I was aware of thanks to the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory, I got into my National Highway Traffic Safety Administration-approved automobile and set off to work, navigating the roads built by the local, state, and federal Departments of Transportation, stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level guaranteed by the Environmental Protection Agency. In exchange, I offered legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank. On the way out the door I deposited my mail to be sent out via the US Postal Service and dropped the kids off at the public school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work thanks to workplace regulations imposed by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and enjoying another two meals which again did not kill me thanks to the efforts of the USDA, I drove my NHTSA vehicle back home on the DOT roads, to my house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal’s inspection, and which has not been plundered of all its valuables thanks to the local police department.

I then logged on to the internet (which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration) and posted on freerepublic.com and fox news forums to let everyone know that socialized medicine is bad because the government can’t do anything right.
All excellent points in my opinion. In your opinion, what is the proper extent of federal government control? Where do you want to preserver your own dominion?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
In the past, when life was more tax-free, more people knew how to ballroom dance. They were also snappy dressers and men wore powdered wigs.

I blame the increase of taxation in the US and throughout Europe on the death of powdered wigs and ballroom dancing, using Chiddler's brand of historical logic.

Damn them!!!!

Darilian

Causation is not correlation.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Darilian wrote:
Causation is not correlation.
Just for fun with words, I will beg to differ. I trust my logically and/or linguistically trained brethren to set me straight if needed.

It seems to me that:

Causation (is not) correlation.

is very different than:

Causation is (not correlation).

which is quite untrue it seems. Causation might be correlation, mightn't it?

Mind melding really would be easier but I don't know how BGG would accommodate that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Wray is right with his play on words:

Causation necessarily implies some degree of correlation.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
What is this, Nit Pick week? shake

bye
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Darilian wrote:
What is this, Nit Pick week? shake

bye
I love you Darilian!

But I don't intend to pick your nits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
What is this, Nit Pick week? shake

bye

Good riddance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
What is this, Nit Pick week? shake

bye

Okay, you can come back now. Miss you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The guy who wrote that failed to mention he talked on a phone that was monitored by the FBI, paid taxes to support people who were scamming the system, paid taxes to a government that refused to help truly needy people because they couldn't jump through all the hoops the scammers had mastered, had his garage torn down because he didn't get it preapproved by the zoning committee, was audited by the IRS because they lost his tax returns, was denied coverage by the VA because the DOD lost his service records, was ticketed because his kid wasn't wearing a bicycle helmet in his own driveway, had his house raided as a suspected meth lab because he bought 1 more Sudafed than was legal in his state, had his car broken into by illegal immigrants who were released from jail because his local cops are barred from cooperating with the feds, had to take in his grandmother because she couldn't afford the property taxes on the house she has lived in for 50 years, spent the afternoon waiting in line at the DMV, and was almost arrested for walking into a federal building with a pocket knife in his pocket, only had 3 channels to choose from on his TV because the government regulated broadcast stations out of existence, wasn’t allowed on a plane because he brought the wrong size tube of toothpaste, and finally had his basement flooded because the weather service on which he relied failed to predict the record rain storm.
I have been waiting several years to get to do this.

*uses breath spray*

*clears throat*

*adjusts tie*


LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
The guy who wrote that failed to mention he talked on a phone that was monitored by the FBI, paid taxes to support people who were scamming the system, paid taxes to a government that refused to help truly needy people because they couldn't jump through all the hoops the scammers had mastered, had his garage torn down because he didn't get it preapproved by the zoning committee, was audited by the IRS because they lost his tax returns, was denied coverage by the VA because the DOD lost his service records, was ticketed because his kid wasn't wearing a bicycle helmet in his own driveway, had his house raided as a suspected meth lab because he bought 1 more Sudafed than was legal in his state, had his car broken into by illegal immigrants who were released from jail because his local cops are barred from cooperating with the feds, had to take in his grandmother because she couldn't afford the property taxes on the house she has lived in for 50 years, spent the afternoon waiting in line at the DMV, and was almost arrested for walking into a federal building with a pocket knife in his pocket, only had 3 channels to choose from on his TV because the government regulated broadcast stations out of existence, wasn’t allowed on a plane because he brought the wrong size tube of toothpaste, and finally had his basement flooded because the weather service on which he relied failed to predict the record rain storm.
I have been waiting several years to get to do this.

*uses breath spray*

*clears throat*

*adjusts tie*


LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT


But the US government put me on the Do Not Fly list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT


Dude, he already left. He lives in Alaska.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Dude, he already left. He lives in Alaska.
And he STILL complains about taxes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
hibikir wrote:
It makes me think of a former boss of mine, who wanted fraud prevention to be the retail store chain's number one priority. I proposed that if it really was the number one priority, that then the best thing we could do was just to close the stores: If we don't have merchandise or cash in hand, nobody can rob us.


How much cash did you safeguard?


I write, among other things, the software that the stores use, so at that time, about a million worth of inventory, and about 10-20K worth of actual cash on any given day. I was in favor of strong measurement systems that allowed us to detect fraud through software and very regular physical inventories. Instead, the head of retail wanted to make the system harder to use, even though that didn't really solved any fraud issues.

After she left, the new head of retail liked my suggestions, and using careful measurement as a deterrent to internal fraud has made shrinkage almost a non-factor.

The same things can apply to pretty much any other kind of fraud, including medical fraud: Detecting large amounts of fraud and then doing something about it tends to be more effective than using all your dollars in preventing the fraud in the first place, because if you do that, then if someone finds a loophole you'll be hard pressed to detect it before you are taken to the cleaners by the fraudster.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.