Subject: Will this game still be around in a year? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep passing this game at the FLGS, thinking that I'll buy it at some point when I actually know people who will like to play it. But lately I've had this nagging feeling that Twilight Imperium might be going out of print. What's the word on this, are they still printing TI or should I get it as soon as possible, even if it will be ages until I get to play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it goes out of print it won't be permanent. I'm pretty sure they'll keep reprinting it as long as print runs run out, It's one of their flagship games. The only way I see it going permenantly out of print is if they make a 4th edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only get this to the table once or twice a year, when I find somebody to play it with but it's totally worth having in my collection.

Also I would get the Shattered Empire expansion, it takes the game from an 8 to a 10 IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just Buy it you won't regret it .

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is, money is sort of tight, and there's other games that actually will get played, like Runewars or Descent. I'll pick up Twilight Imperium once I have moved house and drummed up a group of people who are interested.

Thanks for all the answers, I'm relieved, guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
The expansion set is currently on the slate to get reprinted, and I don't think they'd bother reprinting the expansion if they weren't planning to keep the base game in print, too.

There may well come a day when this game goes out of print, but I wouldn't expect it to be next year, or for a long time to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hill
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
for a long time I thought one of the big boxes this winter would be TI4.
I played TI first edition many years ago and play 3rd now.
I think it would be hard to come up with a 4th edition for this one.
though if they did, it would be nice if 'upgrade kits' could be purchased for those who already had 3rd.
Either way just save up the cash and get 3rd with SE (yes its a lot of money) but you will end up liking it.
probably...
you might want to think of trying out a few sessions, haven't found anyone who owns ti3 unwilling to teach someone who hasn't played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
dagekko wrote:
though if they did, it would be nice if 'upgrade kits' could be purchased for those who already had 3rd.

For me, if it's something that could be converted with an "upgrade kit", it's not really worth a new edition; just make it a new expansion.

And for that reason, and because I love TI3+SE as it is, I hope there never is a 4th edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's just selfish. Who would keep you from playing the old edition if the new one came out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
dagekko wrote:

For me, if it's something that could be converted with an "upgrade kit", it's not really worth a new edition; just make it a new expansion.

And for that reason, and because I love TI3+SE as it is, I hope there never is a 4th edition!

I also would not want to see a newer edition. Just a reprint with corrections would be great but not always cost effective so I do not think we will see that. But I would like to see a complete box put out that includes everything so you did not have to buy the base game and the expansion with an updated rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
Now that's just selfish. Who would keep you from playing the old edition if the new one came out?

Why create a new edition just for the sake of a new edition? I don't think there's enough need to overhaul the game to make a new edition worth it. And doing it just to do it would probably make it WORSE, not better.

Nothing would stop me, but why create it just because you can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:

Problem is the community around the game might fork into two "branches".

That would be a shame. It sort of happened to Axis & Allies due to Anniversary edition being out of print. It is clearly the best global A&A game at the moment, but not all in the community can play it due to the price tag. So some are "stuck" with Revised, some play 1942 edition, and some play Anniversary.

Same thing when a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons comes out. Some refuse to convert, meaning lots of fan made material is incompatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

Why create a new edition just for the sake of a new edition? I don't think there's enough need to overhaul the game to make a new edition worth it. And doing it just to do it would probably make it WORSE, not better.

Profit. A la Games Workshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

Hehe, I said the same when the Third Edition was about to be released and I was right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Newsflash: Someone in my group bought Runewars, meaning that for the next months or so there won't be any reasons for me to buy it. This means that Twilight Imperium 3 plus expansion will be mine this Friday when I visit the game store. Hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
Newsflash: Someone in my group bought Runewars, meaning that for the next months or so there won't be any reasons for me to buy it. This means that Twilight Imperium 3 plus expansion will be mine this Friday when I visit the game store. Hooray!

I think you will appreciate this "random event" in the long run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

Hehe, I said the same when the Third Edition was about to be released and I was right.

Well, I personally like TI3 head and shoulders more than TI2. Both are fun, but I probably would never have gotten into Twilight Imperium with the second edition; the Third is what drew me in.

Maybe they'll find enough they want to change to make a TI4, but they've stated that TI3 is pretty much where they like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

I think you will appreciate this "random event" in the long run

Agreed. As much as I love TI3+SE, Runewars is much easier to get on the table as it plays a lot faster, while still being a very immersive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.