Subject: Complexity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M D
United States
Cos Cob
CT
flag msg tools
I'm hoping someone wouldn't mind commenting on the games complexity.

1. How does it compare in complexity to CC:E?

2. How does the solo game compare in complexity to Field Commander: Alexander?

3. How long would it take to teach someone somewhat familiar with wargaming concepts?

4. Is there a lots of rules-checking necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going through the learning process right now...

1. I'd say a little less complex than CC:E.

2. Can't help you there.

3. 20 minutes or so.

4. Initially yes. There are some unfamiliar procedures which, while not hard, you tend to want to read a few times to make sure you are doing them correctly. After my second play, I've stopped checking the rules except for the Solo rules.

I'd say learning how to play the game is pretty easy, but knowing how to play well takes a few tries. The ebb-and-flow between offense and defense in this game is unique in my experience so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't compare to those games you mention, but I find the rule complexity to be pretty low. You should be able to teach the game while playing it and by the second play you're opponent will be able to play by themselves.

Really, it's just learning a few key concepts (the action-reaction flow, the way damage works and what each icon means) and you're mostly ready to play as the action cards and terrain effects are mostly self-explanatory.

Edit: I agree, the rules learning is easy but playing well is another matter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lacko Bardosy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know it helps you, but Frontline complexity is lower then Down in Flames. We affraid to go to vacation without DiF rulebook, but I can play freely Frontline without rulebook, after a few study-play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Siddons-Smith
United Kingdom
derby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bardosy wrote:
I don't know it helps you, but Frontline complexity is lower then Down in Flames. We affraid to go to vacation without DiF rulebook, but I can play freely Frontline without rulebook, after a few study-play.

I would want to take the frontline rules with me when ever i played so i could choose all those missions. Although I feel that complexity wise, DIF is easier but thats because i play it alot. I'm sure frontline will become the same. I think there is slightly more depth in frontline.

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgdpublic wrote:
I'm hoping someone wouldn't mind commenting on the games complexity.

1. How does it compare in complexity to CC:E?

2. How does the solo game compare in complexity to Field Commander: Alexander?

3. How long would it take to teach someone somewhat familiar with wargaming concepts?

4. Is there a lots of rules-checking necessary?

Thanks in advance!

1 A lot less complex

2 Never played it. Sorry

3 30 mins. Certainly no longer than 1 hour

4 To start with. Yes. After a few plays hardly at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.