Popular Tags: [View All]
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is my best card idea thus far by far! It's not overly powerful, but I can see it having some nice player interaction. Perhaps using it to stop a Sea Hag or Witch deck? Or maybe someone is buying out all of the Provinces? Players can fight over which pile to block eachother from, and it is affordable enough for anyone to be able to buy. I can't see anything negative about it (except for having to have an extra token). Opinions? Is this a win or a fail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of an extra token blocking a pile of kingdom cards without giving users curses.... but I don't think it's a card I would buy. In my opinion it's only usefull when an opponent is playing a certain strategy and you want to block him/her. Maybe if you'd make it a cost 3 card with something like +1 action or +1 coin it would be more interesting.
In this form as it is right now, it's only interesting to buy 1, when another player already bought 1 and is blocking a card that you need.

Now that I think of it ....... it sure is worth play testing :ninja:

right now the pendulum is more pointing towards win :star:

just my 2 coins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you mean the 10 Kingdom cards or do you want the card to hit all cards in the Supply (Gold, Province, etc.)?

I think some interesting variant cards can come from this idea. Nice job expanding Embargo to explore other areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought he ment all cards.
Quote:

Or maybe someone is buying out all of the Provinces?

But that wouldn't work with the rules I think. Players wouldn't be able to take curses when someone plays a witch. Nor would they be able to get a copper when they don't have enough coins to buy anything.
I'd say it works best with Kingdom cards and positive VP.

edit: the card says kingdom pile, so it won't prevent someone from buying out all of the Provinces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about any card costing 3 or more? Would also keep it from self blocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

That would solve all issues indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
monteslu wrote:

What's wrong with it self-blocking? If it's self-blocking, it's also not doing anything other than self-blocking, which means its only impact on the game is that whoever bought a copy to self-block with it now has a dead card in their deck. That hardly seems game-breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
monteslu wrote:

What's wrong with it self-blocking? If it's self-blocking, it's also not doing anything other than self-blocking, which means its only impact on the game is that whoever bought a copy to self-block with it now has a dead card in their deck. That hardly seems game-breaking.

Nothing wrong with it. Just seems like it would be less fun if it was blocked. Especially if the one card owner didn't want to unblock it. Though it might be an interesting strategy to keep it blocked until near endgame then switch to a province if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashtool wrote:
Did you mean the 10 Kingdom cards or do you want the card to hit all cards in the Supply (Gold, Province, etc.)?

I think some interesting variant cards can come from this idea. Nice job expanding Embargo to explore other areas.

Yeah, I meant any supply pile, but I couldn't think of the word, "supply" when I was creating it.

I'd probably use it to block Silver right off the bat just to make it a bit more challenging for people to get money into their hands. Then they'd have to buy a Guillotine to move the token, or they could try to tough it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
Interesting. Just wanted to note that blocking a GAIN can be harsh on some boards.

Swindler has the potential to be devastating if the province supply is blocked. Its a pretty rare case, so I'm not saying it affects the card negatively, but I do think its an interesting potential interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

If it can only block cards costing 3 or more, it can't block itself, 'cause the card itself costs 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Embargo, as interesting as it appeared to be, turned out to be a very rarely used card.

This card is like Embargo on steroids. It seems interesting, but I think a very quick playtesting round would show that its highly disruptive yet almost impossible to be used in a way that would creat an advantage for the player using it.

Also, purple bold text? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Embargo, as interesting as it appeared to be, turned out to be a very rarely used card.

This card is like Embargo on steroids. It seems interesting, but I think a very quick playtesting round would show that its highly disruptive yet almost impossible to be used in a way that would creat an advantage for the player using it.

Also, purple bold text? Why?

I find Embargo to be fun. I usually won't go for unless someone else starts it. Last time I played with Embargo, on turn 3 someone Embargoed the Silver. There were very few cards that gave extra coins, so I embargoed the Pirate Ship. We ended up using all 10 of them, it was crazy, but fun.

Disruptive? There's nothing like learning to play the game with a new strategy.

Purple because it's my favorite color. And the bold is to make it easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwommy wrote:

Purple because it's my favorite color. And the bold is to make it easier to read.[/b][/COLOR]

Well my favorite color is red, and huge letters are even more easy to read.

However something tells me this would be a pretty bad idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.