Mr. Bunny
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Siam – Review
(Originally posted on BoardGame-Reviews.com)

King Of Siam is an area control game designed by Peer Sylvester. It is currently published by Histogame.

King Of Siam

* Designed by: Peer Sylvester
* Published by: Histogame
* Number of players: 2-4
* Playing time: 30 min
* Player ages: 12+

A Quick Overview

It is 1874 and the king of Siam (now Thailand) has introduced some contentious reforms resulting in a struggle between three factions, the Malays, Lao and the Royalists.

To stay strong between the colonial powers of the British Empire and French Indochina, King Chulalongkorn must ensure that unity is preserved.

Players use action cards to move factions into and out of the eight Siam provinces and ensure that Siam isn’t colonized. Each card played gives a player influence in one of the three factions.

The winner is the one with the most influence over the winning faction.

Game Play

Each player is dealt the same number of cards. From these cards, the player has, on his turn, a choice to play an action card or pass.

If an action card is played, the action is taken and the player then removes a follower from any province on the board.

The provincial struggle is ended when all players pass in succession. If there is any tie between the three factions, the British arrive and forcibly take control.

The game ends immediately when the British control four provinces or after eight provincial struggles.

Observations

I bought King of Siam because it is not a widely available title and it had strong recommendations from fellow boardgamers.

It is a mentally involved game and doesn’t provide the necessary fun for me. Thankfully, it is also a very short game and can be played in about 20-30 minutes.

The scoring in this game is key to play. And the better you understand it, the better your chances of victory. Also, of the games that I have played, there have always been ties so it is also best to understand the tie-conditions too.

All in all, it is an elegant series of rules and winning conditions that make this a clever game.

Unfortunately, it is not my kind of game.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
usagi-san wrote:

King Of Siam is an area control game designed by Peer Sylvester. It is currently published by Histogame.

King Of Siam

This isn't entirely accurate. "Area control" implies the players are trying to control areas for their own Victory Points or whatever. In KoS, the goal is to have the most cubes of the color that controls the most areas in the end.

It's a subtle distinction.

Sorry you don't like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bunny
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the difference. Subtle yes

And I had wanted to like the game but it is much too much. I like "heavy" games but this is more convoluted than I am comfortable with.

I am sure that it will find a good home when I send it away.

Have a great day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that might have been made clearer in the review is this mechanic:

You use your actions to try and influence what color controls an area. When you play an action, you have to take a cube. So, if you play an action in which you are trying to get Blue to take over a province, you want, if Blue wins to have the most blue. But if you take a blue cube off, you will decrease Blue's chances later on. Often times it means taking a cube from the province you are meddling in and that would mean something other than blue!

This, based on my experience, is the heart of the game. And you're right, it's a lot. But it's fun in a difficult way. This is one of the few games we play where my friend's ordinarily dominant son doesn't dominate us with consistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you didn't like the game. I'd put this game on par with such distinctive company as Die Macher and Java, Caylus and Imperial. KoS tickles my brain in much the same way that those games do but in only 20+ minutes of time, it sees a tonne of playtime and a tonne of love by my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinicius Yuiti Takaki
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve playd this once (as much as many other games) and it hasn´t played for me either.

Maybe if I get some more games under my belt it might get better.
On the plus side, it IS a fast game (unless someone has AP...)

Great, short text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.