Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard that this game had one major flaw in that there is really only one way to win. I wanted to get your opinion if this is true or not. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
basilmichael wrote:
I have heard that this game had one major flaw in that there is really only one way to win. I wanted to get your opinion if this is true or not. Thanks in advance!

There are a multiplicity of ways to win.

Final scores end up around 80-90, usually.

The most you'll get from any one "action" is 50.

Any remaining actions all will provide at most 5.

Your score is basically the sum value of your entire game play.

In fact, I know of few other games with so many components to your final score.

That said, there are some basic strategies that result, but they are flexible and well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen final scores into the 130 range. So yes, there are multiple paths for the one victory condition: Have your best performance beat everyone else's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edgar
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
basilmichael wrote:

I have had half a dozen games with friends. I have been really impressed with its replayability and the number of alternate strategies to win. After the last session we sat over a coffee and compared strategies and alternatives for the next game - each of us had a different approach.

I'm impressed enough with the replayability to go out and get my own copy to play at home with my family.

It is a bidding game with a moderate level of complexity - if bidding games aren't your preference then that might be a drawback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
basilmichael wrote:
I have heard that . . . there is really only one way to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mikula
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
basilmichael wrote:

This is a devilishly hard statement to argue with. If by "only one way to win" you mean "put on a big performance with as many bonuses as possible" then yes, that is the only way. But that statement is as meaningless as saying that the only way to win at chess is to checkmate the the other player's king.

Colosseum is a very tactical game. Yes, all the players are more or less going to take the same path through the game (expand your arena, put on bigger shows), but what makes the difference is knowing just the right amount to bid or when is the right time to give up that star performer. It's the sum of a bunch of little choices that distinguish the winner from those who come in behind him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.