Dominion: Intrigue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Same name on reveal for Tribute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Linscott
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
What happens when two copper are revealed on a Tribute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Frosted wrote:
What happens when two copper are revealed on a Tribute?
The player who played the Tribute gets +2 coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to figure out how there could be any other answer. Maybe someone argued that, if the two cards are the same, then there are no "differently named cards" at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I am trying to figure out how there could be any other answer. Maybe someone argued that, if the two cards are the same, then there are no "differently named cards" at all?
You know, some people have difficulties with the word 'different', so it's just a matter of fact that there are people who have a hard time with 'same'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I would agree that the wording on Tribute is somewhat awkward, if you want to get all nitpicky. When you use the word different, it's kinda important to know against which you relate it to - the card does not state that the cards should be differently named against each other. Why not read it as "differently named than your uncle"?

Still, having somehow acquired a tiny amount of common sense, I would agree that two Coppers give you +2 Coins. Unless your uncle Copper disagrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Still, having somehow acquired a tiny amount of common sense, I would agree that two Coppers give you +2 Coins. Unless your uncle Copper disagrees.

In that case, shoot your uncle. :O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

What are the words "differently named" intended to convey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadw09 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

That you only get the bonus for each revealed card that is differently named from the other revealed card(s). So, if they reveal two copper, you get +2 coin, because there was only one "differently named" card revealed. But if they reveal a copper and silver, you get +4, because there are two "differently named" cards revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
chadw09 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

That you only get the bonus for each revealed card that is differently named from the other revealed card(s). So, if they reveal two copper, you get +2 coin, because there was only one "differently named" card revealed. But if they reveal a copper and silver, you get +4, because there are two "differently named" cards revealed.

Sorry, my bad. I was thinking it was +1 coin for each differently named card and was confused why two copper would be +2 coins total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
chadw09 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Now, hang on... if you reveal two Copper cards, then neither of them are differently named - each has the name of another revealed card (namely, Copper)!

I understand that it's not meant to count the second card if it's the same name as the first, but, a very literal interpretation would say that if the two have the same name, then there's no cards that are differently named from any of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taggedjc wrote:
a very literal interpretation would say that if the two have the same name, then there's no cards that are differently named from any of the others.
That may be true, but strictly speaking the rules don't say "differently named from any of the others." The only thing the rulebook says is, "You get bonuses for the types of cards revealed, counting only the different cards." Somewhat ambiguous, but it does go on to give this specific example, which leaves no doubt: "if he reveals 2 Silvers, you just get +2 coins."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.