Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Caravan» Forums » General

Subject: What incentive is there not just to lay down as many cards as possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The bonus for going out is pretty intense, and we found in the couple of hands that we played that it's not at all difficult to get a sequence of 7 or 8 [or more!] cards, especially given the lenient wild card rules.

I don't see any incentive at all for not just playing as many cards as you can piece together at a time, even in the case that there are Aces turned up to indicate "pain" suits that would count in end-game scoring.

Am I missing something, or is our play style just not suited to the game? It just seems like it was over too fast, with not a whole lot of substantive decision-making or incentive to attempt such decision-making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"...especially given the lenient wild card rules." Wild cards still have to be the right suit. So not only do you need a specific Ace or Crown to fill the gap, some gaps can't be filled by wild cards at all. In my experience you don't always have a 7 or 8 card caravan.

If you use up all of your Aces and Crowns making long caravans, you won't be able to get the lead back to play your last cards. After your long caravan, your opponent can beat it with a bandit. Then they get to lead. You'll still have some cards left, but you may never get to play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since you comment, but I was thinking about this again.

As it is, the player who goes out scores five points plus two for each card left in the opponent's hand.

The game would change a lot without the five point base; that, if it were simply two points for each card left. Then the economy (taking or avoiding cards) much more significant, but getting rid of cards would still be important.

That seems worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.