Daniel Callister
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this idea after a particularly awful game in which I had managed to acquire -21 points in disasters, 6 of these were before my first turn! I thought of the following shoot-the-moon concept for the game.

The idea is called the Job Effect (as in Job of the Old-Testament). It is an additional Development that costs $100. Once purchased it turns all of your disaster points into POSITIVE points. Thematically, it is a reward for the patience and long-suffering with which you endured your ill-deserved lot.

It really is a shoot-the-moon idea since, in order for it to pay off really well, you must really commit to it from the beginning. You really must screw yourself pretty well through out the entire game earning all disaster points you can (never gathering food, never buying irrigation, medicine, etc) and even go out of your way to roll disasters. If you are lucky enough to be able to afford the $100 Job Effect development before the game concludes, you will be a happy and prosperous man with many points, however if you fail to earn the necessary purchasing power you will find yourself so completely out of the game that tallying your score will be altogether pointless.

I'd love for someone to try this out and let me know how they like it. I attached the price of $100 just as an estimate, it may be too little especially since you will be collecting so many goods through out the game as you roll disasters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Ramey
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
This is an interesting variant, but it sounds psychologically taxing to play, given how counter-intuitive it is. I think I'd rather have a development that "erases" one's disasters but doesn't add points to the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.