Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: New Geekdoo TOS, yay! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Did you read the TOS?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, of course.
16.3% 16
Yes, most of it.
16.3% 16
Skimmed it.
32.7% 32
Heck no.
29.6% 29
What's a TOS?
5.1% 5
Voters 98
This poll is now closed.   98 answers
Poll created by MisterBond
Closes: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 am
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I prefer TNG.
13 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TNG = Tongue and Groove?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to BGG General
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it and it includes one of the vilest provisions common in ToS agreements.

They (and anyone that acquires/succeeds them) claim the right to change the agreement without notice and that you are bound by that new changed agreement even without knowing about it. This is a reprehensible thing to even consider including in an agreement, and frankly should not even be legally allowed, although one can only hope it proves as unenforceable as it really ought to be.

You really can't bind people to agreements they haven't seen, without their approval, and trying to do so is pretty offensive, legally and morally.

Shame on you, BGG. Shame on you, and on whomever you had write this.
16 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
Shame on you, and on whomever you had write this.


Eek! This is why I should always have other people read these things for me...

I agree, though, that no court of law anywhere ever would buy that clause.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:
and Company X purchases BGG's IP and that picture is still on one of their hard drives, that picture of my family can be used by Company X for pretty much anything, including advertising, without my permission.

And ANY derivative works they might make with/from that photo (or game design, or art project), for any purpose.

BGG could now legally license use of the entire photo archive. To anyone. For any purpose. It's like we just became a stock photography archive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
xethair wrote:
Shame on you, and on whomever you had write this.


Eek! This is why I should always have other people read these things for me...

I agree, though, that no court of law anywhere ever would buy that clause.


I would look around at other TOS that say the exact same thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I would look around at other TOS that say the exact same thing.



I need to be more careful about quoting parts of inflammatory comments that I only partly agree with.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of TOSes have that kind of clause, but a lot of waivers are much broader than is actually enforceable. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case here, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I would look around at other TOS that say the exact same thing.

So, you feel "others get away with it" is a valid excuse? That makes it ok? Why should we ask to be respected or given the slightest rights in a legally binding contract with a site that exists on our contributions and support?

So you think it's ok that anything you've uploaded can be repurposed by BGG or relicensed to anyone else without your permission, including if you remove it from BGG? The ToS clearly says that they can retain but not display anything you've removed from the site, and you already agreed to striking that "but not display" clause any time they get the whim to do so (without notice or the ability to end your agreement), or someone that takes over the site's ownership somewhere down the line.

You think it's ok to be bound by any revisions to the contract, without notice, even were you to delete your account? Most ToS with this kind of infinitely broad scope for change at least allow you to end your agreement or allow you to stop using the site and thereby not accept new changes. This contract specifically states you accept changes merely by them changing the agreement, not by any action such as logging in to the site or continuing to have a user account.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This was exactly why many people didn't want this change in the TOS. BGG now basically owns everything posted here by users, can license it, can repurpose it, etc., without the original submitters permission.

I foresee content quality dropping off significantly as people that developed something that could even remotely make them money in the future no longer will post it here.

If anything, I would recommend people DON'T post it here and only link to a copy on a personal website so they don't lose control of whatever they created.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
So, you feel "others get away with it" is a valid excuse? That makes it ok? Why should we ask to be respected or given the slightest rights in a legally binding contract with a site that exists on our contributions and support?

So you think it's ok that anything you've uploaded can be repurposed by BGG or relicensed to anyone else without your permission, including if you remove it from BGG? The ToS clearly says that they can retain but not display anything you've removed from the site, and you already agreed to striking that "but not display" clause any time they get the whim to do so (without notice or the ability to end your agreement), or someone that takes over the site's ownership somewhere down the line.

You think it's ok to be bound by any revisions to the contract, without notice, even were you to delete your account? Most ToS with this kind of infinitely broad scope for change at least allow you to end your agreement or allow you to stop using the site and thereby not accept new changes. This contract specifically states you accept changes merely by them changing the agreement, not by any action such as logging in to the site or continuing to have a user account.


This is something that needs to be addressed by the owners of this site.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.