BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Did anyone read the user agreement before they clicked agree? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if so, could you summarize it in 10 or less words?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't read. Summary: "Don't do Bad Stuff"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desferous wrote:
And if so, could you summarize it in 10 or less words?

I think the site owner should summarize it.
I hate updated terms with no indication of what has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Valonis
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to read it; gave up about halfway through. Must've failed my endurance check. I seem to recall something about, "You agree to not summarize this agreement on pain of death or Monopoly, whichever is less appealing." You know, typical legalese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun, don't be a dick. -Wil Wheaton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read it. Hope there's nothing in there about pints of blood or repossessing my car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read most of it. 8 word summary:

Everything users might whine about isn't our problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I read most of it. 8 word summary:

Everything users might whine about isn't our problem.

Addendum to summary: "Everything users write is ours. If you don't like it, don't click and don't show your face 'round here no more."

"Everything users write is their own. We just get to use it however we want. If you don't like it, don't click and don't show your face 'round here no more."

So here I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the language which holds the board harmless from any postings, I would like to point out the following --

You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. By uploading User Submissions to Geekdo, you hereby grant Geekdo a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the Website, website extensions, and the business of Geekdo and its successors and affiliates, including without limitation for promoting the Website in any media formats and through any media channels.

The problem with such language is that it contradicts itself. Rather than a "first time world publication right", Geekdo retains a "perepetual license to use, ... adapt, modify." If that is not an absolute assignment of rights, I do not know what it is ...

Then again, I do not expect to retain any rights from my postings anyway, but the sheer length of the disclaimer should be enough to cause disquiet among the user base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have time to read it. I had to get back to my BSG PBF game.

Speaking of which, I'm off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Thomas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE BGG and don't mean this as an affront to anyone here (except perhaps overzealous members of the world's second oldest proffession: lawyers) but it is a sad, sad comment on the state of our society when we need pages of legalese to participate in any type of community.

As a matter of fact, it kind of goes against the whole idea of a community...
but such is the world we live in.
Darn shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... *Reads*

If you put something up on the geek, don't be surprised if somebody:
- Notices it.
- Uses it.
- Modifies it.
- Rips the heart out of it and then writes it CORRECTLY to THEIR uses.

crycrycry
DAMN YOU PEOPLE! DON'T READ STUFF I POST ON THE INTERNET!

IT'S PRIVATE!!!

*updates facebook page*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
JuggernautJ wrote:
As a matter of fact, it kind of goes against the whole idea of a community...
but such is the world we live in.
Darn shame.

Nope.

All communities work on the basis of agreements and resulting coordination among their members. Contracts and ToS agreements are just codifications of those agreements. Like any/most contracts, they help both parties stay straight and on the right track.

-- JCL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we are all breaking the ToS just by viewing this page Since the page is downloaded to your PC each time it loads.

5. Geekdo Use: Permissions and Restrictions
Geekdo hereby grants you permission to access and make personal use of the Website as set forth in these Terms of Service, but not to download or modify the Website or any portion of the Website except with express written consent, provided that:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
I didn't read it. Hope there's nothing in there about pints of blood or repossessing my car.

Read every word. Too bad Wendell didn't because there is a provision that Wendell has to donate 2 pints of blood.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
tcanderson71 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Read every word. Too bad Wendell didn't because there is a provision that Wendell has to donate 2 pints of blood.devil

And submit to random urinalysis. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you kidding me?

Derk is my home boy.

and Aldie is my be-yotoch.

Me? I have no idea what these terms mean.

I just like playing games.

You worry about the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Theys
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read parts of it.

Half-way through it dawned on me - this is all legalese. WTF am I donating money for to this site for? So Aldie can hire a lawyer to write stuff like that? Here I thought it was for maintaining servers, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandelion wrote:
I read parts of it.

Half-way through it dawned on me - this is all legalese. WTF am I donating money for to this site for? So Aldie can hire a lawyer to write stuff like that? Here I thought it was for maintaining servers, etc.

...says the guy with 2-year old patron badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the part that mattered:

4. Geekdo User Submissions

A. You may upload and/or may have uploaded forum threads, forum replies, reviews, session reports, GeekLists, photographs, files, hyperlinks, ratings, tags, comments, and other visual or textual content to Geekdo (the "User Submissions"). You represent and warrant that none of your User Submissions are illegal, obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of any intellectual property rights, injurious to third parties, or otherwise objectionable to Geekdo in its sole discretion, including but not limited to commercial solicitation, mass mailings, political campaigning, chain letters, or any form of "spam" (as determined by Geekdo in its sole discretion). Geekdo does not provide for any confidentiality with respect to any User Submissions. Geekdo reserves the right to remove or delete User Submissions without prior notice.

B. You shall not upload User Submissions containing material that is copyrighted, protected by trademark or trade secret, or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permissions from their rightful owner to post the material and to grant Geekdo all of the licenses granted herein.

C. You shall be solely responsible for all of your User Submissions and the consequences of uploading them. You represent and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Geekdo to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, and all other intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions, to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service. You grant Geekdo the right to use your name and account username in connection your User Submissions.

D. You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. By uploading User Submissions to Geekdo, you hereby grant Geekdo a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the Website, website extensions, and the business of Geekdo and its successors and affiliates, including without limitation for promoting the Website in any media formats and through any media channels.

----
Everything else was written for the other lawyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Potapoff
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ya it is annoying to have to agree to a new TOS when there is nothing to help spell out what was changed. I read through it but I have no idea how the TOS is different than the previous one. Nothing stood out as being really bad in it but then it was all legalese so how would I know if there is anything bad slipped inbetween all of the roundabout text?

When a site owner decides to update the TOS would it kill them to write up a nice summary on the side while they did it so that they could produce something that tells you what has been changed?
It always makes me feel like they are trying to hide something or pull a fast one when a TOS is updated with the new TOS displayed in full with nothing telling you what has changed, a TOS that is written entirely in legalese and you are forced to agree to it before continuing onto the site. So somehow you are supposed to read the large document in legalese and somehow figure out if you object to the changes enough to stop going to the website.

For all I know somewhere hidden in all of that is permission to take our private information and sell it to advertisers and I just happened to miss that squeezed between the standard drivel that most TOS throw into in legalese that is barely comprehensible to the standard user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this should be a poll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Maksimik
United States
Liberty
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
D. You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. By uploading User Submissions to Geekdo, you hereby grant Geekdo a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the Website, website extensions, and the business of Geekdo and its successors and affiliates, including without limitation for promoting the Website in any media formats and through any media channels.

So you retain all of your ownership rights. But then it goes on to state that you grant Geekdo do anything they want to it.
So what exactly does the ownership thing mean again???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretended to read it, does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even read this thread...not sure why I'm posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.