Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I am planning to make some improvements to the plays system, mostly for logging plays, but possibly for displaying play stats as well.

So what is on the top of the wish list for improvements to this system? Here is what is on my list so far:

Easier adding of users to plays--a better search tool, a clickable list of previously added users, and possible geekbuddy integration.

Better Twitter integration, so that you don't have to log into twitter every time to tweet your plays.

Similarly, improved Facebook integration.

Some graphing of your play history/statistics.

Cloning of plays to make entering similar plays easier.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to sort a list of games by last time played would be cool. Like, being able to list my owned games and quickly see what I have or haven't played recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there could be a played/unplayed type box... like previously owned.

That way I can look at all my played games.

If you log a play of a game, it automatically clicks "played." Or something like that.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Quick list of previously played games. I think many people tend to play games from a smaller set.

- Number os plays should not be in the "more" section.

- Fully opened popup should be positioned so it's not outside the display.

- Clean up the look and make it "consistent" with the site.

- A tough one. I often play many games late, and end up entering them after midnight. It would be nice to not have to set the date for every single one. I have no suggestions for solving this, but would like to see it discussed.

[ - I would prefer that you guys spend your efforts fixing the main menu than fixing relativelt tiny stuff like this. ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G.
United States
Toney
Alabama
flag msg tools
FINISH HIM!
badge
Go Tigers!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely anything to make recording the plays easier/quicker should be top priority. I also really like stats and graphs etc, so I think that would be cool as well, but not above improving the interface.

In the order you've listed, here would be my priority list.

Cloning of plays to make entering similar plays easier.

Easier adding of users to plays--a better search tool, a clickable list of previously added users, and possible geekbuddy integration.

Some graphing of your play history/statistics.

Better Twitter integration, so that you don't have to log into twitter every time to tweet your plays.

Similarly, improved Facebook integration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps counter intuitive, but I'd like to decouple the date from my plays. I recently decided to add all my plays to the site (for a variety of reasons) but darned if I know (or care) when my 100+ plays of Twilight Struggle in 2009 were.

I only care about how many times I play a game in a year, but beyond that, don't need or want a specific date attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd really love to be able to copy a play someone I played with entered into my games played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop people logging 50,000 plays in a single hit!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/171
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a way to optionally tie the play to a session report and/or an uploaded photo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Stop people logging 50,000 plays in a single hit!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/171

Eh, what's the point. You're not going to be able to stop people from making stuff up. I think the idea of letting people disable the date so they can log their approximated 700 plays of Magic: The Gathering from before they started logging games (or what have you) without screwing up the database would be enough.

I'd focus on things that make it more useful to an individual user rather than things that make the overall plays database "better" because there's always going to be a large and unknown amount of bad data in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:
i'd really love to be able to copy a play someone I played with entered into my games played

Or just a way of indicating "I played this too" which would add both to their played record and create a matching one in your plays (both of which would ideally be updated if a third person added themselves to either one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Being able to sort a list of games by last time played would be cool. Like, being able to list my owned games and quickly see what I have or haven't played recently.

Yes! This! Being able to say "show me everything I own that I haven't played in 6 months" would be cool. Seems like lowish hanging fruit too (says the guy who knows nothing about database programming).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Harald
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been discussed many times before, but my main wish for play logging is to be able to log which expansions have been used in a given play. Ideally when recording plays I'd get a list with checkboxes of the expansions for the game. The end result would be that both main game and expansion would get a play but total played games would only increase one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

BaSL wrote:
This may be mentioned somewhere else, this may be work-in-progress, this may even be something I've missed, but still:

As we can log almost everything now (as far as Games Played goes), why not show everything? I want to find out how many games of Agricola I won. Where we've played the most PowerGrid games. Who played the most Tier auf Tier with me. All this info is recorded, but I can't acces it.

Suggestions:

* A list of winners.

Be able to click a game and see a list of winners of all the plays I have logged. With a checkbox to exclude solitaire games.

Tic Tac Toe:

1. Aldie* 21 of 21 games
2. chaddyboy_2000 11 of 11 games
3. BaSL 11 of 45 games
4. Derk 2 of 13 games

*(yeah, these are random names by ABCD)

* A list of places.

Where did we play this game most?

Power Grid:

1. Aldie 17x
2. BaSL 17x
3. chaddyboy_2000 15x
4. Derk 13x

And what game did we play most at this or that place:

At BaSL:

Phoenix 19x
La Città 18x
Caylus 16x
Wallenstein 15x

* And who played all these games?

Chinatown:

1. BaSL 85
2. Aldie 51
3. chaddyboy_2000 50
4. Derk 47

* Scores

What are the average scores for winning this or that game? What does this or that player score in all his Puerto Rico games? What is my Agricola high score?

* And I want a pony.

And I probably missed a few things. Is something like this going to happen in the future?

Even more: http://geekdo.com/thread/360274/games-played-what-next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CellarDoor wrote:
It's been discussed many times before, but my main wish for play logging is to be able to log which expansions have been used in a given play. Ideally when recording plays I'd get a list with checkboxes of the expansions for the game. The end result would be that both main game and expansion would get a play but total played games would only increase one.

Yes - this!

And, I wuold also like to specify which expansion(s) I have played if the expansion is part of a bundle, ie: Alea Treasure Chest or Carcassonne King&Scout. The "funny" thing that can happen now is that the expansion is registered as having more plays than the base game - which is not really optimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I log a game played, it would be nice if my name was already added in the list of players, so I wouldn't need to add it myself.

The data field "win" should be a number instead of a check box, so when I want to store a number of the same game played, I could save who won how many instead of making multiple entries for different winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated before, I'd like to search plays by Comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Like others, I would like there to be a least recently played listing.

2. Maybe a checkbox (or some other option) indicating whether I won or lost? I don't much care which of my opponents won, so I'd just like a convenient way of keeping track of my own victories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
When you edit it asks Starting Position, yet once the edit is complete it simply says Position.

I always leave this blank, as if I simply view this completed column, it looks like it is stating the finishing order of the players.

Maybe It should simply be Finishing Positions or Ranking. You could then get rid of the Won checkbox, and just have the option to highlight the winners row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Perhaps counter intuitive, but I'd like to decouple the date from my plays. I recently decided to add all my plays to the site (for a variety of reasons) but darned if I know (or care) when my 100+ plays of Twilight Struggle in 2009 were.

I only care about how many times I play a game in a year, but beyond that, don't need or want a specific date attached.

On the contrary, one of the main reasons I log plays is to track when I played them. This gives me an idea of what times of year I play the most, and what specific games I played the most during those times. It's also nice to see when I had droughts and what events during my life those droughts lined up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

On the contrary, one of the main reasons I log plays is to track when I played them. This gives me an idea of what times of year I play the most, and what specific games I played the most during those times. It's also nice to see when I had droughts and what events during my life those droughts lined up with.

I don't want to deny you having dates attached to your plays; rather, I don't want to be forced to have a date attached to mine.

I've been keeping track of what I play, but I only "care" at the least granular level, which is the year I've played it.

Having retroactively added all my plays that I could find records for, I have, in db parlance, serious "clumping".

Saying "I played 109 games of TS in 2009" is of interest to me, but if you go look at my play stats, I've played 109 games of TS on "1 June 2009", which is completely untrue. I may well have played TS on June 1st last year, but certainly not 109 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tick box to say if a playing was "face to face" or via a PC. I would like to see users forced to label a play as either “over a table” or “through a screen”. I like to know what games folks are playing across a board, I have little interest in what is played via the PC and yet at the moment this information is lumped together.

On a slightly separate issue, I would like to see the games played list exclude information from anyone who logs a million plays for a game in one day, in fact I would like to see it exclude data from anyone who has logged more than 9 plays in a single day. Let individuals put in whatever numbers they like but don't have these extreme values mess up the communal stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon wrote:
Tick box to say if a playing was "face to face" or via a PC. I would like to see users forced to label a play as either “over a table” or “through a screen”. I like to know what games folks are playing across a board, I have little interest in what is played via the PC and yet at the moment this information is lumped together.

I second this motion. I would love to see segregated stats like this, as I too have less interest in games played via a computer.

Gordon wrote:
On a slightly separate issue, I would like to see the games played list exclude information from anyone who logs a million plays for a game in one day, in fact I would like to see it exclude data from anyone who has logged more than 9 plays in a single day. Let individuals put in whatever numbers they like but don't have these extreme values mess up the communal stats.

Though I tend to agree with you, I don't see a way to practically prohibit users from inputting whatever they want. Specifically regarding your example of 9 plays... I could easily play 9 games of Hive in one day face to face. So, that isn't a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
1) I'm not interested in logging exactly Who played a game with me, but I do make a note of How Many players there were. If it was simple to tick "x number of players", you'd generate useful data like "Caracassonne is played with just 2 players 37% of the time".

2) Before improving or expanding Twitter and Facebook functionality, how about polling us on whether we care about that? I for one have no interest in integrating either of those with my BGG experience. A better external focus would be logging from Smartphones.

3) Graphing of history sounds cool. You could get some ideas from friendless' extended stats site.

4) Not sure what the point of cloning plays would be. Play logging should be simple, there shouldn't be a need to clone from a previous play.

5) Make it simple and obvious to log Play Time (i.e. don't hide it in the More section). This would be extremely useful data, how long it actually takes to play a game. Especially if combined with #1 - how long it actually takes to play a game at each different player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:

Though I tend to agree with you, I don't see a way to practically prohibit users from inputting whatever they want. Specifically regarding your example of 9 plays... I could easily play 9 games of Hive in one day face to face. So, that isn't a solution.

If the limit was 9 or so plays per entry I think it would be reasonable. You can always create multiple entries for more plays that that. For the situation where you have played several games over a year (100+) you can always put a note in the details section.

I'm trying to imagine why logging those 100+ plays would become important all of the sudden if they weren't logged previously. It sounds more like an estimation of how many games someone thinks they played from a long time ago. In that case, I doubt this is something that would be easily forgotten; the idea that "wow, I played a crazy ton of game X back in 2002" should probably be documented else where (probably in the personal comments for the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.