Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card states "if you receive 2 Wealth levels or a Treasure in any one encounter, you lose this status."

Does a city card die-roll result count as part of "any one encounter"? We ruled that it didn't, but I wasn't sure. It seems odd that gaining a treasure while out and about in the steppes of central Asia makes you no longer envious of others, but getting one in the streets of Samarkand has no effect. Just wondering what others think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that gaining a treasure would always count. The "in one encounter" refers more to gaining two wealth levels than to specifically requiring an encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
The card states "if you receive 2 Wealth levels or a Treasure in any one encounter, you lose this status."

Does a city card die-roll result count as part of "any one encounter"? We ruled that it didn't, but I wasn't sure. It seems odd that gaining a treasure while out and about in the steppes of central Asia makes you no longer envious of others, but getting one in the streets of Samarkand has no effect. Just wondering what others think.

Which card allows you to re-roll city card rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
From the rules:
Quote:
4) Resolve Your Encounter
After moving your Character (or choosing to remain in your location), you will have an encounter.
Draw the top card from the Encounter deck and resolve the encounter indicated on the card.

Thus, rolling on a City Encounter card is an Encounter.

I understand it differently: the encounter takes place prior to the city card play. You move, you draw an encounter card and resolve it, and then you (optionally) play a city card if you're in the appropriate city by rolling a die and seeing what happens. What happens is that you may get an encounter (the cards refer to them specifically, e.g. Ape Island), a wealth level, a treasure, a skill, etc.

If you look at the player mats, the city card "phase" is called out separately. So the question remains: is the city card die roll an encounter (and thus qualifies for gaining treasure or wealth during an encounter) or is it not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:

I don't know what you're referring to with this. I didn't write anything about a re-roll, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caveat: I've only played this twice, but it's been within the last two weeks, so the turn of events in the games are still fresh in my mind, and I'd like to think I've got a firm grasp on the rules and such.

Regardless, and FWIW, I'd tend to think (and play/rule) that gaining a treasure from playing a city card after your encounter (which is the only time you can play a city card, and as others point out, is completely separate from the encounter phase) would not satisfy the requirements of losing the Envious status.

Of course, the golden rule for the game is "Whatever makes for the most entertaining story, makes for the best game.", so I think that while your ruling is a fairly clear interpretation of the rules, your counterpoint to why it should be any different gaining a treasure in Samarkand versus out in the steppes of Asia is pretty logical too.

So, YMMV for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
Anjohl wrote:

I don't know what you're referring to with this. I didn't write anything about a re-roll, but maybe I'm missing something here. :what:

Oh, I misread "Die-Roll". That being said, the resolution of the city card would be part of an encounter IMHO, thematically it fits. And as the designers say, with a game like TOTAN, you need to interpret the rules, not nitpick them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrhaydel got it right. Rolls on the city card occur after encounters. With that said, the intent of envious seems to be "gain a treasure or two wealth levels [from the same source]".

So the city roll should work in my opinion if two wealth levels or a treasure are gained. However, collecting 1 wealth level from two different sources - for example, collecting one wealth level each for the use of Scholarship and Magic to cure other player's conditions in the same space - wouldn't work. Think of it this way, your character is really envious of people who seem to "have it all" and only a really big score is going to remove that perception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.