Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Greenhalgh
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks ago, I took a trip with my fiancée and a few of my cousins to visit my grandparents in Nampa, Idaho. Even though I would only be gone for two days and was swamped with homework, I couldn't resist stuffing Carcassonne, Red November, and Ticket to Ride: Europe in my duffel bag. After dinner on Saturday night, I asked my grandparents if they would play Ticket to Ride with my fiancée and me. Our family reunions are typically full of games, especially bridge, but my grandpa was concerned that this would be "one of those Greenhalgh games that gives you a headache." To complicate the issue, my fiancée had never had a fun time playing Ticket to Ride and was only willing to play because she and I had just played Carcassonne, we agreed that Red November wasn't going to fly, and she really, really loves me.

My fiancée and I explained the rules and we got started. Grandma had a few questions, but she seemed to pick it up pretty quickly. Grandpa had a tougher time. Despite repeated warnings that his destination cards were to be kept secret, he kept flipping his over to ask us what he was supposed to do. On top of that, Grandpa couldn't always tell the colors apart, so he would show us his hand to clarify what was what. By the end of the first turn, everyone at the table knew what Grandpa had in his hand and what he was trying to do with it. This helped him out, because we ended up walking him through most of his turns.

It was a little tougher for me, because not only did I go right before Grandpa, but we were also both building track from Western Europe through Denmark up to Scandinavia. Should I leave him cards that he needed at the expense of my own hand? Should I wait and let him claim a route that I already had the cards to? I tried to be nice, but I ended up being removed from the will a few times anyway.

Once we got Grandpa up on his feet, things started to get really interesting. I developed a master plan to complete both of my tickets with one continuous route, earning points for both tickets and no doubt the points for the longest route. To seal the deal, I hoarded my cards and claimed the eight-train, 21 point tunnel route from Stockholm to Petrograd. Then, the game got heated. Grandpa blocked Grandma's only chance of getting to Lisbon, provoking a cry of “You stinkpot!,” which my fiancée and I now repeat every time one of us hurts the other in a game.

I got antsy about my dearest taking the routes I needed, since we were getting pretty close, so I started to claim any route that she was near. After a few tries of doing this, I realized she wasn't heading in the same direction that I was, so I relaxed a little bit. She responded by claiming the stretch of four cars I needed for my master plan to unfold. I didn't have enough cars to go around, so I settled for a train station and we made petty little claims until the game ended.

Poor Grandma had picked up the game so quickly, but had to use all three of her train stations to complete her tickets and wound up in last. Grandpa, on the other hand, had managed to take and complete an extra ticket while my fiancée and I were bickering over routes in the east, and surged right ahead. My fiancée and I were a little taken aback and started to worry a little as we counted our own points. We both ended up beating Grandpa, but just barely! That little stretch of four cars that my dearest snatched right from under my nose determined the game. Not only did it give her seven points that I would have liked, but it gave her the longest route that I had been ogling.

My fiancée really enjoyed playing with my grandparents (winning probably helped, too) and yesterday she confessed that she likes Ticket to Ride now that she knows what's going on a little better. I had a great time too: playing with family (and future family) is probably the best way to play this game (and many others!). However, the best reaction came from Grandpa, the player who had had the most trouble getting started. For the rest of the night he was asking me how he could get a copy of the game and lecturing me on its potential in a geography class (Grandpa taught high school). His best line, though, came the next morning:

“I had the strangest dream that I was buying railroads in Russia!”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's the best story about Ticket to Ride I've ever read.

Thanks, I really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride got me into gaming, and Ticket to Ride: Europe quickly became and still is, my all time favorite board game!!! Great Story, it is great that you got your grandparents to play, I had a hard enough time trying to get my parents to play and understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed to all opinions expressed in this topic.
Ticket to Ride is a really great game, a sucessful recipe to an hour of fun. More importantly, a great game that got what it takes to gather around the table every member of the family regardless age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greenhas wrote:
Then, the game got heated. Grandpa blocked Grandma's only chance of getting to Lisbon, provoking a cry of “You stinkpot!,” which my fiancée and I now repeat every time one of us hurts the other in a game.

Oh man this is funny, my wife and I loved this part. I have got to try to play a game with my grandpa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Greenhalgh
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarviskj3 wrote:
greenhas wrote:
Then, the game got heated. Grandpa blocked Grandma's only chance of getting to Lisbon, provoking a cry of “You stinkpot!,” which my fiancée and I now repeat every time one of us hurts the other in a game.

Oh man this is funny, my wife and I loved this part. I have got to try to play a game with my grandpa.

Thanks for commenting! I'd forgotten that I posted this, and reading it along with your reaction made it all the better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.