Popular Tags: [View All]
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow geeks,
Recently I've developed a liking towards miniatures ,and currently I'm eye-ing on 5 Sci-Fi style games , and decided to buy 1.

However ,I'm having a hard time deciding on which to get ,given that either one of these games cost an arm and a leg , and IMO 1 of such games is enough for my collection.

Here is the list of the games I'm interested in :

-Doom: The Boardgame
-Hybrid + Hybrid Expansion 1: Nemesis
-Space Hulk (third edition)
-StarCraft: The Board Game
-Monsterpocalypse

Having never played any of these games, I humbly ask fellow geeks who have an idea on these games for comments .

All comments are welcome (including suggestions of other similar games )

Thanks in advance for all the help given laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I've played StarCraft and Space Hulk, so I can comment on those. Starcraft is definitely a longer game running from 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the experience of your players. Space Hulk is a decidedly shorter game, with each scenario running between 45 mins to an hour.

Component-wise, Space Hulk easily takes the cake, and in fact, is probably the most well-produced board game in the world. The plastic figures are so detailed, and the board pieces so thick and embossed that you'll feel immersed in the theme right away. Starcraft, however, counters with having a lot of varied units. If you're a Starcraft fan, you'll be pleased to know that all the units are there, and this not only makes the game look really cool, but makes it fun to play.

Starcraft definitely scales better, supporting 2-6 players. Space Hulk is definitely a 2 player game. I've heard of variants, but I've never tried, and have no incentive to.

Gameplay wise, they're apples and oranges. Starcraft is a strategic game, where victory or defeat is determined a lot of starting position, army composition, economy, technology, and so on. Victory conditions unique to each race are available to increase the level of conflict, and to speed gameplay. Space Hulk is very much a tactical game. It's a very tense game, with dice rolling aplenty, but there's strategy too. Where to place your marines, who to place on overwatch, and conserving command points mean that there's a lot of consideration. The game also comes with 12 missions, adding more variety to the gameplay.

Overall, I enjoy both games immensely. For a multiplayer experience, I go for Starcraft or Twilight Imperium, but I definitely turn to Space Hulk or Battlelore for 1-on-1 games. In short, different games for different occasions.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply . ^^

Being a fan of both warhammer and starcraft , it's making the decision all the harder cry I understand that both Starcraft and SpaceHulk plays differently ,with spacehulk more similar to DOOM /hybrid .

As such,may i ask how many variety of units does SH has ?
As I know there aren't much variety in marines, but i have no info regarding the genestealers .
Being a fan of variable unit selection, this is a big factor for me when choosing games, as I find playing the same units over and over again shows limited replayability ( I might be wrong )

It is because of this I included both DOOM and Hybrid into the list, as they seem to have more units to choose from .

Still,thanks for your explanation on both the games, it has help me a lot in understanding the games laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Space Hulk has your basic space marine with storm bolter and power fist, a sergeant with a power sword and storm bolter, a sergeant with a thunder hammer and shield, and a librarian. The only variety genestealers have is that they also have a broodlord.

Starcraft definitely has a lot more different types of units, but I don't know if that contributes to the re-playability. I've certainly heard stories of people playing their 1st edition of Space Hulk to this day, due to its solid mechanics. A better example would be that I took roughly 30-40 minutes explaining the rules of Starcraft, with constant referrals back to the rulebook for clarification. It's a game with a lot of little rules to remember. Space Hulk, on the other hand, took me 15 minutes to teach, and certainly less need to look back to the rulebooks. It's a lot of intuitive and tight, in my opinion. I'm always the guy teaching my players how to play new games, and Space Hulk was definitely one of the easiest to teach.

However, it is pretty satisfying learning the strategies of the different races in Starcraft, and building different units in response to other player's developments. I'd say the soul of the original PC game is definitely there.

In short, both are good, and I love them to bits. Get both if possible. They serve different niches in any collection, so there's no redundancy or overlap if you have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
go for starcraft - you're buying two games in one:

- StarCraft: The Board Game
- StarCraft: Tactical Miniatures Combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
go for starcraft - you're buying two games in one:

- StarCraft: The Board Game
- StarCraft: Tactical Miniatures Combat

Never heard of StarCraft: Tactical Miniatures Combat before,is it a fan made variant ?
How is it played ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd say that you should at least consider getting 2 of those games, since yes, they are completely and entirely different...

But as for which to buy: I haven't played Hybrid or Monsterocalypse, but of the remaining I'd say Space Hulk and Starcraft are both good games you probably won't regret buying. Doom is, to be honest, a bit of a turd, the game "works", but the scenarios and some of the mechanics are completely in favor of the Invader player. FFG released different rule modifications as difficulty levels, but I'd given up on the game even before I found out about that. If Doom sounds good to you, rather get Descent, it's still not really balanced, but most definitely better balanced than Doom (And it has more expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
Recently I've developed a liking towards miniatures ,and currently I'm eye-ing on 5 Sci-Fi style games , and decided to buy 1.
[... ]given that either one of these games cost an arm and a leg[...]

Hi.
Some comments:
It really depends on what your priorities are. You have to balance the "coolness of minis" versus "game style". Those games are somewhat similar but play differently (I only played 3 of the 5 but I guess the BGG reviews for the remaining 2 are rather accurate).
If your primary objective is to paint über-cool minis, it already narrows your choice to Hybrid & Space Hulk (depends on your taste).
If the games mechanics, duration, etc, are important, just browse the reviews to make a choice.
If cost is an issue, it rules out Space Hulk immediately (IMO ridiculously overpriced), while the 4 others are reasonably priced or even rather cheap.
I'd personnaly recommend Doom for the following reasons, but I'm biassed :
- good quality minis (not awesome though)
- tons of plastic & cardboard for a rather cheap price
- simple rules, good replayability
- plays rather quickly
- 4 players (6 with expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies laugh
Roolz wrote:
genesyx wrote:
[... ]given that either one of these games cost an arm and a leg[...]

Hi.
Some comments:
It really depends on what your priorities are. You have to balance the "coolness of minis" versus "game style". Those games are somewhat similar but play differently (I only played 3 of the 5 but I guess the BGG reviews for the remaining 2 are rather accurate).
If your primary objective is to paint über-cool minis, it already narrows your choice to Hybrid & Space Hulk (depends on your taste).
If the games mechanics, duration, etc, are important, just browse the reviews to make a choice.
If cost is an issue, it rules out Space Hulk immediately (IMO ridiculously overpriced), while the 4 others are reasonably priced or even rather cheap.
I'd personnaly recommend Doom for the following reasons, but I'm biassed :
- good quality minis (not awesome though)
- tons of plastic & cardboard for a rather cheap price
- simple rules, good replayability
- plays rather quickly
- 4 players (6 with expansion)

1st to clear it, I don't mind if the minis are not uber quality, as i can't really paint myself ( i know the basics ,but not till expert extend ) .Basically I'm basing my purchase more on gameplay and replayability

As for pricing ,suprisingly , In my country,there aren't much board game sellers ,and the shop i buy games from sell
Space Hulk at the same price as Hybrid + Nemesis Expansion and
Starcraft the same price as DOOM + expansion (cheaper than the above)
and Monsterpocalypse being the cheapest ( maybe ? )

As for gaming , my group usually consist of only 2 people ,sometimes up to 4 ,so number of players won't affect much.

I compare DOOM to SpaceHulk to Hybrid, as I find them having the same idea in gameplay ,with StarCraft being more of a placement and strategical game .

A question though , In these games, which of it has the highest luck factor ?
i prefer games that have less luck factor , or at least ,that good luck isin't all the thing you need to win . (well,obviously all good rolls will DEFINITELY win you the game,but please , more than 70% of your rolls are 6 ? That's impossible )

Another factor that i put into considerate is variable character power .For me, more unit/abilities mean more strategy/replayability available.Having loads of different units / abilities under your disposal is kinda important for me .
In this catagory ,SH definitely lose,as I heard it doesnt have much variable in unit choice. Whereas SC,having almost all their units, have an edge (not sure about others though )

Still ,I give my most sincere thank you for all those who help me on deciding the game for purchase . It's still a few days before I need to place my order, so I'll still investigate more so I wont regret my purchase cool

Comments are still welcomed though,still need some time to think out the perfect game =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Olin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first choice out of the 5 you're considering would have to be either Space Hulk or Monsterpocalypse.

Space Hulk is one of my favorite games. It's one of the most atmospheric and tense games of all time. The scenarios provide a host of interesting and diverse challenges. Highly recommended.

Monsterpocalypse is another type of beast. It's easily one of the most complex and deep games I've ever played, despite its beer and pretzels exterior. A skillful player will almost always win over an unskilled player, but there is enough of an element of luck involved to still keep it interesting. Regarding expense though, I'd have to say that might very well be the most (not the least) expensive alternative, at least if you want a minimum of two complete and well-balanced armies. But it is an outstanding game, to be sure.

Doom & Starcraft are really good games, but IMHO not quite in the same class as the above mentioned games.

I have yet to play Hybrid so can't comment on that.

All in all, I have to recommend going with your instincts. I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of the choices, so go with what seems to appeal the most to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:

1st to clear it, I don't mind if the minis are not uber quality, as i can't really paint myself ( i know the basics ,but not till expert extend ).

All of this games can be played with unpainted minis (exc. Monsterpocalypse that are pre-painted), but their minis really beg for painting, that adds a real plus to gameplay experience.
Have you considered Claustrophobia ? (it's not sci-fi but I think it fulfills most of your other specs).
genesyx wrote:
Basically I'm basing my purchase more on gameplay and replayability

I've played SH, Doom, Starcraft, they're very different but have all a high replayability. I guess it's the same for the 2 others.
genesyx wrote:
and Monsterpocalypse being the cheapest ( maybe ? )

Being collectible, I'd expect it to be the most expensive in the end (maybe I'm mistaking but all collectibles I know end up being a kind of "cash black hole")...
genesyx wrote:
As for gaming , my group usually consist of only 2 people ,sometimes up to 4 ,so number of players won't affect much.

In that case, maybe aim for 2-p only games ?
genesyx wrote:
A question though , In these games, which of it has the highest luck factor ? )

I'd say the 3 I've played (above) have a similar luck factor, no real difference.
genesyx wrote:
Another factor that i put into considerate is variable character power .For me, more unit/abilities mean more strategy/replayability available.Having loads of different units / abilities under your disposal is kinda important for me .

I don't fully agree (i.e. different units don't mean more strategy/high replayability), but anyway, Doom has an interesting power system (marines draw a couple of ability cards from a deck so they dont have the same powers, and it changes from game to game). For the other games, abilities alre linked to each mini/faction.
In the end, I think the 5 games in your list are all good (but different), so you can't really go wrong. Good luck in picking the "perfect" one !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:

I compare DOOM to SpaceHulk to Hybrid, as I find them having the same idea in gameplay ,with StarCraft being more of a placement and strategical game .

A question though , In these games, which of it has the highest luck factor ?
i prefer games that have less luck factor , or at least ,that good luck isin't all the thing you need to win . (well,obviously all good rolls will DEFINITELY win you the game,but please , more than 70% of your rolls are 6 ? That's impossible )

I can't comment on Hybrid, but on Doom vs. Spacehulk, while both involve dice rolling a plenty, I would say that SpaceHulk is probably a little less luck dependent. Under the stock difficulty rules and a competent invader, the marines will take a beating and need good luck to survive. If bad Ammo rolls go against them, then it can get ugly fast.

That's not to say it isn't fun... when playing as a marine in the game, I just make the assumption that I'm going to die, and my goal is to survive as long as possible.

With space hulk, you can expect (with some variance between the missions) that its closer to a fair fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Let me say this for Space Hulk: sure, there's tons of dice rolling. Tons. However, I'd say that your ability to roll 5's or 6's is overshadowed completely by your ability to analyze which key corridors are important, skillfully using command points, risk assessment, and knowing which units to protect. I'd also say the replay value is quite high, as you have 12 missions, and 24 plays in total if you play both sides. Also, there's a decent-sized community creating new missions. (not as large now, due to the controversial GW purge of fan-created content)

Also, Monsterpocalypse is a collectible miniature game, so it's one of those games where rare units would dominate more common ones. Mechanically sound, I bet, but you'd want to invest enough for 2 or more balanced armies.

Starcraft is definitely a lot of fun. You could always try different races, strategies, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert 723
msg tools
mb
Spacehulk thumbsup

Doom thumbsdown based on my looking at the box but not playing it.

Monsterpocalypse - hard to say. It's an awesome game but has suffered from mistakes in marketing and planning such that I'm not sure if it will survive. I have a bag of duplicate Minis for example; wasted money. Each of their expansions has been poorly done: one gave you a few little minis instead of two big minis (with the excuse the the little ones assembled into a large one if you used your imagination) and the other expansion gave a "collectable building" instead of another large mini. Their idea of collectable buildings is painting the same mini two colors and giving it different point values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys thanks for all the comments ,really did a big help here ^^

Currently ,I already excluded monsterpocalypse from the list, since it's a CMG and it's gonna cost me more than the other games if i wanna have 2 equal force , hence a big money pit zombie

On the other hand ,I'm still undecided on the others ,although space hulk does seem to reign higher than the others ,with hybrid undecided

Current list in order
1- Space Hulk
2- Doom wild - hybrid + expansion
3-Starcraft exterminated - Monsterpocalype

A question for all DOOM:TBG experienced players though , is it necessary for me to buy the expansion to make the game worthwhile , or the base set is enough ? robot
(exmple : no of scenarios , character available etc )

I'm placing my orders tomorrow , so there's still 1 more day for me to decide
However, if nothing pops out , I most likely be choosing Space Hulk .

p.s. : How many scenario / genestealer type does SH 3rd edition has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:

Current list in order
1- Space Hulk
2- Doom wild - hybrid + expansion
3-Starcraft exterminated - Monsterpocalype
A question for all DOOM:TBG experienced players though , is it necessary for me to buy the expansion to make the game worthwhile , or the base set is enough ? robot
(exmple : no of scenarios , character available etc )
[...]
p.s. : How many scenario / genestealer type does SH 3rd edition has?

For Doom, it's absolutely not necessary to buy the expansion, though with the base game I'd strongly advise you use the game erratum/FAQ (fixes a couple of bugs that correct unbalance issues). The expansion is very good (erratum included, new decks, extra minis, etc) and not very expensive, but not a must have IMO (you could buy it later). Regarding scenarios they're all availaible here in the files section (plus there's plenty of fan-made scenarios).
For SH I guess experts will answer you quickly .
PS: Doom & SH are different, but since you play mostly 2 players sessions I feel SH or Hybrid might be more suitable (Doom plays perfectly with 2 but I think it's more enjoyable with 3-4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Johnson
United States
Seguin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd place Space hulk as #1, followed by Starcraft.

You do need the expansion for Doom. I want to like doom, the minis are great, the components are top notch. However the gameplay is tedious. After a few multi-hour sessions we put it back on the shelf and no one is willing to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
it's absolutely not necessary to buy the expansion
rsjrev wrote:
You do need the expansion for Doom

To settle this, lets say you need half the expansion, the hardest is to chop minis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
A question for all DOOM:TBG experienced players though , is it necessary for me to buy the expansion to make the game worthwhile , or the base set is enough ?

Doom is fine without the expansion, unless you want to play Deathmatch (which I'd rather not, since Deathmatch doesn't involve monsters).

Between SH and Doom, SH is pretty much two-player, while Doom is 2-4.

I think Kai's suggestion is best, though! Two games for the price of one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert 723
msg tools
mb
If you want to play Deathmatch, buy Frag by Steve Jackson games. It's fun to play and is basically Doom Deathmatch on a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.