Ed
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
doofus, doofī, doofō, doofum, doofō; doofī, doofōrum, doofīs, doofōs, doofīs
badge
I'd keep my finger away from his mouth if I were you. He looks a little unstable.
mbmbmb
The latest a Seth & Grün comic made me aware of the game Revolution!. I like the idea, but the theme is a bit light and the gameplay is entirely focused on interactions among the players rather than with the game world as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that is a bit more thematic and detailed depiction of inciting a revolution?

I did a quick search for the word "revolution," but that mostly got me war games, whereas what I'm looking for would focus on the social and political intrigues of a revolution. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a combat element, and would probably enjoy it, but I would like the main focus to be on political side of it.

I'd prefer a modern setting, but that's by no means a necessity.

What I'm thinking of would sort of be akin to a board version of computer games like the Tropico series or Republic: The Revolution.

Anybody have any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'd keep my finger away from his mouth if I were you. He looks a little unstable.
mbmbmb
I'm still fairly new to the hobby, but have certainly seen that game mentioned all over the place. I haven't looked into it in depth yet, so it's probably about time I do. From what I know of it, though, I think it deals with the conflict between the US and USSR on a global scale, which is not quite what I'm looking for.

Ideally what I'd like is a game focused on perhaps a single small nation, with each player representing some faction of that nation's population, such as leaders of competing revolutionary movements, or perhaps some players as the standing government or the military.

I'm looking into Twilight Struggle now though to see if it's something I'd be interested in anyway, so thanks for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any game that fits. I will say that if anything were to be designed along the lines of what you're describing, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty on civil wars, such as Russian civil war, and Angolan civil war, but somehow no game on revolutions come to my mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it's rather obscure, it's possible that Chad: The Toyota Wars would fit your criteria - covering the civil war/revolution in Chad from the late 70s into the eighties.

Copies appear on eBay from time to time and there are a few here on BGG. One day I hope to even play my copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is there a social/political element to that Chad game? The info about it here on the Geek is certainly sparse.

Someone sent me a PM suggesting Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648. While the time period doesn't really suit my personal tastes, from what I've looked into of the gameplay so far it seems fairly in line with what I was suggesting. It seems pretty hardcore as far as depth and rules go, though, so I'm afraid it might kick my butt. I'm definitely looking into it, though, and if the mechanics sound appealing enough, they may let me look past the particular time period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
You may be interested in this one: La Révolution française: La patrie en danger 1790-1796.

It's long out of print but you can find it, albeit at an high price.

The theme is exactly what you want, six factions try to establish their version of the republic in 1789 France; the rules are not clear but not very complex too.

Twilight Struggle is an excellent game, but it's not about the political ramifications of a revolution

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok how about the slave revolt by Spartacus?

Spartacus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberté might suit you. I've never played it, but it is clearly about the politics of a revolution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really detailed, but there is certainly a high chance of one or two revolutions happening in an average game of Junta.
It has a kind of humor somewhat akin to what you'd see in the Tropico series, but as I said, it's not particularly detailed, more a Revolution themed game than a detailed game about Revolutions.

"Event: Students pass out fliers at the university.
Effects: None."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of odd, but www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1717/freedom-in-the-galaxy Freedom in the Galaxy is the only game I know that has the nuts and bolts of starting a revolution in it. While there certainly is combat, the rebel player won't be doing much military until the end (if at all.)

It's highly space opera (it's "star wars," if you squint at it at all) so doesn't fit your bill per se, but otherwise I can't think of any games.

EDIT: As other said, you may want to look at Junta. It's not exactly per se what you're looking for, but it probably resembles an actual revolution more than we'd like to admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Berwick
United States
High Point
North Carolina
flag msg tools
How about Down with the King. It is a card game, but it might be what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War or We the People: The first OP/event card driven wargames are really games about political control of the population.

1989: Dawn of Freedom which was PTP and now on GTM's P500 list is a game based on Twilight Struggle on the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
It's not really detailed, but there is certainly a high chance of one or two revolutions happening in an average game of Junta.
It has a kind of humor somewhat akin to what you'd see in the Tropico series, but as I said, it's not particularly detailed, more a Revolution themed game than a detailed game about Revolutions.

"Event: Students pass out fliers at the university.
Effects: None."

This is the first game that came to my mind after I´ve read the question.
Seems to be the only game that fits perfect!

Edit: Figures not included shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you're open to science fiction (in a long out of print game, alas), there's SPI's BattleFleet Mars, which had a pretty serious political approach, as I recall. Seems sort of inspired by Heinlein and other such political sf.

Quote:
Simulation of interplanetary conflict in the Solar system during the late 21st century. Earth is dependent on extra-terrestrial resources, the procurement of which is managed, executed, and controlled by privately-owned conglomerates.

The game concerns an attempt by disenchanted employees of the corporation living in space and on Mars to seize the means of production to gain autonomy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

From my initial glances, a lot of them look like they'll need an in-depth look to determine if they're what I'm looking for, so I'll begin that process.

Also, thanks for the suggestions of Junta! While not exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a game based on a revolution, it looks incredibly entertaining and I'm quite excited to learn more about it. If definitely seems to capture many aspects of Tropico.

Just in case there are some more suggestions out there that haven't been included yet--or in case someone would like to help me narrow down this list of games that I have to look into--I'll put forward a few more details about what I'm looking for:

-Ideally I'd like something that involves a grassroots sort of revolutionary movement, starting with a small group and trying to gain support on a national (or continental or galactic or whathaveyou) scale.

-I'd also like something that includes a mechanic of having to win over the hearts and minds of the people at large, as well as winning over certain key individuals (the latter somewhat akin to the gameplay of Revolution!).

-I'd really like options wherein you have to try to balance your goals and methods to try to gain the necessary support: "If we abandon this goal we'll alienate some of our longest supporters, but gain the support of a larger, influential group," or "If we use this unsavory tactic we'll violate one of our basic ideals and possibly lose some of our membership, but will be able to keep up the fight," that sort of thing. (I may be getting a bit too complicated for a board game with this one, but one can hope.)

Also, aside from games straightforwardly meeting these criteria, if anybody knows of a game with fairly simple rules that would provide a good base for this type of gameplay and could potentially be modified with house rules to resemble what I'm after, I'd be open to those suggestions as well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.