Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. I thought TGS was good, and RVI definitely completed the excellence of the game for me. I'm of course going to jump for BoW, but I wouldn't mind if the series wrapped up around there. Looking forward to owning the complete collection. So, anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piri kou
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what i have understood, this is the final expansion... Of the current "story arc".

It has been said (or rumored) that Mr Lehmann had other ideas of alternative mecanisms that he could include in some expansions. However, these new expansions wouldn't be designed to run with the tree current expansions, but onyly withe the base game, introducing an alternative version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjarne Aagaard
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann has stated, that this is indeed the final expansion.
If new expansions where to be published, it would be starting a new arc, using only the base game (Race for the Galaxy), and expanding from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baagaard wrote:
Tom Lehmann has stated, that this is indeed the final expansion.
If new expansions where to be published, it would be starting a new arc, using only the base game (Race for the Galaxy), and expanding from there.

More expansions will turn it into a LCG... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new story arc from the base set would be interesting.

I too hope it's coming to it's conclusion. I'd hate to see this great game grow into a complex mess.

I know the new set will have more cards to cycle through the deck faster but tbh, I'm still a little worried that the new expansion will be a little unwieldy. Hope I'm wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I noticed in a few games we played yesterday with all expansions, is that the game now really does feel as if it ends too soon. It seems like you can't get all the cards out that you need to form a coherent tableau before someone else has won with a quick development strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

More expansions will turn it into a LCG... shake

Not without it being a trademark violation. At least in the USA, where "LCG" is for Fantasy Flight Games only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the storm gathering, and being right there on the brink, I was hoping we'd actually get to the war at some point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
With the storm gathering, and being right there on the brink, I was hoping we'd actually get to the war at some point

This is also something else I was thinking; I'd have thought that the previous expansion should have been called "The Brink of War" (as that implies *almost* at war) and the upcoming one to be entitled "Rebel vs Imperium" (as that implies *at* war). The timeline's all screwy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
This is also something else I was thinking; I'd have thought that the previous expansion should have been called "The Brink of War" (as that implies *almost* at war) and the upcoming one to be entitled "Rebel vs Imperium" (as that implies *at* war). The timeline's all screwy! :p

Or maybe the next arc would be titled Race for the Galaxy: Total War. hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
monteslu wrote:
With the storm gathering, and being right there on the brink, I was hoping we'd actually get to the war at some point :)

This is also something else I was thinking; I'd have thought that the previous expansion should have been called "The Brink of War" (as that implies *almost* at war) and the upcoming one to be entitled "Rebel vs Imperium" (as that implies *at* war). The timeline's all screwy! :p

It will all make sense when the new Race for the Galaxy: Time Agent arc begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium was originally intended to be the finale but the publisher asked for another expansion. The streakiness of such a large deck was becoming a problem (see the meld explore power that was deemed necessary in RvI), but Tom thought that there was just enough space for one more, with ways to cycle the deck and lots of cards that can be used for multiple strategies.

You can see that in the Search action of the Prestige Search card (which basically finds a card for just about any strategy you could be pursuing), Alien Oort Cloud Refinery (windfall of any colour, able to connect produce/consume powers from different colours and an Alien card to boot), Galactic Scavengers (allowing you to save up specific cards that are necessary to your strategy), et cetera.

Playing the base game once in a while, I'm struck by how simple it is compared to all the different ways you can interlock your tableau together in the more recent expansions. I'm curious as to how much more rivalrous the game will feel with more frequent takeovers (and the ability to block takeovers) and the Prestige leader race with the Brink of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
There will be no further expansions in this arc, "The Descent into War".

Whether there will be another arc is undecided at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 400 games...I still get the "Just one more game"-feeling. Dang it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
There will be no further expansions in this arc, "The Descent into War".

Whether there will be another arc is undecided at this time.

The release of a designer's preview making TBoW jump to top hotness should be a clear indication to RGG that the RtfG franchise still has longs ways to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

Or maybe the next arc would be titled Race for the Galaxy: Total War. hehe

hmmm......I think 'Race for the Galaxy: Total War. hehe' is perhaps not a good title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
promuso wrote:
hmmm......I think 'Race for the Galaxy: Total War. hehe' is perhaps not a good title.

If you don't like word War, maybe Race for the Galaxy: Total hehe will be better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm currently spending $25 / year on Race for the Galaxy.

I would happily spend $100 / year, if the content were produced at the current levels of quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Lear
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would happily spend $100 / year, if the content were produced at the current levels of quality.

Count me in. I would appreciate some form of organised play in addition to that. But that's not going to happen I fear.

Perhaps RftG will grow up to become a major franchise like Magic ;)
I would like to see that.

For now I'm quite content with what I've seen from the BoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a new arc, I'd expect some of the cards from the first arc to sneak in there. For instance, Improved Logistics would be a pretty silly card to recreate, and it adds a lot to the game as is. Sure, there could be a 4 cost development with a +1 look power and the settle power, but that would be pretty unnecessary. I'd also expect the same shift away from produce/consume 2x to appear.

How can it be wrong to speculate about an unplanned set of expansions when it feels so right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Stunna, funny you should mention that, as I seem to recall Tom opining that the game-mechanical justification for the new arc was the incompatibility of Improved Logistics with whatever other idea he had swishing around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Stunna, funny you should mention that, as I seem to recall Tom opining that the game-mechanical justification for the new arc was the incompatibility of Improved Logistics with whatever other idea he had swishing around.

I don't recall ever saying that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Feels weird to have a different story arc with the initial game. Seems to me a better option is to make a new game altogether even they both share game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
Feels weird to have a different story arc with the initial game.

From a story point of view, the base game just sets up a starting situation: jumpdrive is discovered and a bunch of different races and groups start rapidly colonizing the galaxy. They run across a bunch of scattered alien races that are very specialized and share some genetic material (the Uplift races); they also run across clues and artifacts suggesting that some "Alien Overlords" once ruled the galaxy and have now vanished (all the ***Alien*** cards). Some of the expanding groups form a Galactic Imperium try to control other groups and races; this leads some of them to rebel.

From this basic situation, it is easy to imagine several different stories:

* The expanding groups and races run into an already existing, strong galactic empire.

* The ***Alien*** Overlords return (and, possibly, they are upset).

* A vast, mysterious artifact or planet is found, which needs to be explored.

* The expanding groups and races settle, prosper, and begin to form empires, which bump into each other, compete, and slowly drift into war.

The last story formed the first expansion arc "The Descent into War". The others could easily form other arcs. Your mileage, of course, may differ as to whether you find any of these stories compelling or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a thematic stand point, the Return of the Overlords (RotO), would be fun. I'm sure from the perspective of many players, the ALIEN race is one of the things they wish was more fleshed out.

However, from a cool mechanic stand point, the vast, mysterious artifact/planet sounds awesome. Would cards representing this thing go to some weird central tableau affecting everyone? This could be really different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.