Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lars Ericson
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played CC:E a couple of times, but always sporadically. I never felt like I've gotten a good handle on the game or been able to emerse myself in the tactics and depth of the game. My plan is to recruit someone from my board game group (mostly eurogames with some strategy/conflict games) to embark on a four game venture of Combat Commander.

My request to BGGers is to recommend four scenarios that are good introductions to the game and have a high level of activity and pacing. I have CC:E, CC:M, and the Paratroopers expansion pack.

Please BGG, help me catch a new Combat Commander opponent so I can enjoy this great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:

I've taught five people how to play using the Fat Lipki scenario. I think it gives a good intro to the game without overwhelming them with too much info. Give the newb the Russians so they have lots to do.

I agree.

After playing Fat Lipki, I would go with scenario 3 (it is great for learning the basics of attack vs defense postures), and then scenario 4 (which shows artillery and ordnance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F. Santana Miralles
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One of the problems I´ve found when teaching this game, is that some people don´t like to have cards which cannot be used. I always try to choose an scenario where the new player can use artillery, to avoid the "frustration" that some people feel when they get some "command confusion" and "artillery request/denied" in a row.

I don´t think the artillery rules ad too much to the complexity of the game, and one of the main issues with the system is related to the card management, so you reduce it somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The other skill that becomes better with experience is knowing how to play the actions and orders you have that won't do too much but will get them out of your hand faster than if you Discard (particularly important when playing the Italians and French!)

Sure, a Command Confusion Order/Action is just a bad card (although not always in the Normandy scenarios!) but in general, there's usually SOMETHING you can play even if it doesn't do much, just to keep the cards moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going through Example of Play with my son (New Player):

Turn 7
Alex - Fire Action
Units in H8: 2-1-6-[2] (suppressed), 5-5-4 inf, 4-8 LMG, 4-8 LMG, 2-2-4 team (latter two appearing after Hidden Unit Action), firing at 5-5-5 inf in H4.
Firepower 7 ("squad as the Base" presumably from 5 + [2] command even though suppressed), then "+3 for the team and 2 Light MGs" for "FP 10".

How does the team count, given its range of 2?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nisada wrote:

How does the team count, given its range of 2?

If the team is stacked with the leader, all its numbers (range too) get the +2 command bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right - it's not ASL - thanks!

("I rout YOU, Pikachu")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Ericson
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:

I've taught five people how to play using the Fat Lipki scenario. I think it gives a good intro to the game without overwhelming them with too much info. Give the newb the Russians so they have lots to do.

Another scenario I like for the asymmetry is Cold Front. This one you could play twice, each taking a turn at the two sides and you get a great feeling for attack and defense.

Similarly, as you have BP1 you could try the Carentan Causeway Scenario (27, I think). Again, play twice, each taking a turn as the attacker and defender. This is a good scenario for introducing artillery as it only becomes available after a couple of Time advances, so a new player has time to review the basics before getting a new toy.

These sound like a good mix of scenarios, with high action and interesting forces/objectives. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Ericson
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd give an update. I had a chance to play Fat Lipki, Cold Front, and Carentan Causeway with same opponent over two sittings. We both had fun. My opponent's not a convert yet - he says he enjoys the game but is still trying to get a handle on the strategies and ebb/flow of the game.

We just finished playing Carentan Causeway. I played the Americans and was able to move up both roads, surviving Op Fire attacks. A melee advance into the building at #5 eliminated the Germans there and with the second wave of US reinforcements arriving, the Axis fate was sealed. Seems like a difficult scenario for the German defenders to win even with the +30 VPs at start.

Any other recommendations for scenarios with high level of activity, movement, and tactical positioning for both sides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest trying the Random Scenario Generator (RSG). My very first game was using this and it turned out to be very memorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.