Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm trying to realize my dream to be a game designer, but I have no idea where to start... So that's why I'm thinking about learning C++ and making some small things.

So anyway, is C++ a good place to start? And if so, where can I find the best tools for it?

Also, does anyone know how to achieve this dream?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a complicated question... Fundamentally, what's your goal? Are you wanting to see your own game designs in action? That's not /really/ what a game programmer does (though being a programmer doesn't stop you being a designer!). If that's your goal, there's far easier ways to go about it than learning C++. Most game designers do not know, or need to know, C++/game programming.

For learning game development or prototyping your own ideas, there's a wealth of tools/development environments/tutorials online that will help you along that path. My usual recommendations are Flash/Actionscript or Unity3D, depending on what you want to do & how you want to do it...

Flash is easy to pick up & very visual, and great for quick & dirty 2D games. There's a *ton* of tutorials & guides & examples online, though the core tools aren't free.

Unity3D is a professional quality toolset that's now available for free, with a great community & a fantastic pipeline. It's definitely a different approach than Flash, but boy, it's capable of great things. It uses javascript or C# for scripting, but again, a ton of resources online for either of those. I use Unity for my own game experiments on my own time and love it. You can rapidly bang together stuff & put it on a website for people to play.

Another option for "dipping a toe in the water" is Gamemaker - these tools look relatively primitive, but are capable of a lot of cool things in 2D & again, has a great community around it... Its relative simplicity makes it a great learning environment for budding game designers.

Of course, if you really would rather be a game programmer instead of a designer, there's a different conversation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
C++ would be jumping into the deep end of the pool.

I'd recommend flash as well.

Another interesting tool to get started with is http://processing.org/

Also, subscribe to Coding4Fun. Lots of interesting projects for all levels of programmer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Processing rocks. You're fundamentally learning Java with it though, which I guess isn't a bad thing... Just worth remembering it /is/ a programming language.

There's a good book for Processing that secretly explains a lot of core programming fundamentals in sneaky ways - Processing Creative Coding and Computational Art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm studying Games Computing at university. There's a fair amount more to game design than programming, although obviously you can always pay someone else to do those parts lol.

I found c++ pretty easy to learn the basics of. C# is good if you want to program games for Windows, and it's much easier to learn than c++, although this assumes you know a bit about Object Oriented design (or are willing to learn it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Something I've seen that caused a lot of people(myself included) some initial hardships was that they were going for too much too soon.
Just try to get a working version of blackjack or tic-tac-toe in itself can be a series of trials and errors before you create the next excellent game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
renegaderebel wrote:
Something I've seen that caused a lot of people(myself included) some initial hardships was that they were going for too much too soon.
Just try to get a working version of blackjack or tic-tac-toe in itself can be a series of trials and errors before you create the next excellent game

Yeah. You could also use something like Game Maker ( http://www.yoyogames.com/ ) to get used to how to design games. There are tutorials around for it too, it also has a built in scripting language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Flash. If you want to make a good game in Flash, you still pretty much have to learn C++, in the way of learning ActionScript which is an OO language in C++ style syntax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want to design, or program? There are a lot of skills that go into creating a successful software program (whether it's a game or an application or whatever). Learning some programming isn't a bad idea, no matter what you're going to do - at least it gives you a sense of how things work - but figure out what part of the process you want to be doing.

If you want to learn to be a programmer, I'd suggest learning the basics of a few different languages, because wherever you work might use something different from what you've learned.

(And, btw, I've heard that game companies are some of the worst for work environment - they demand long hours with tough deadlines... Just a warning.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
RE: Flash. If you want to make a good game in Flash, you still pretty much have to learn C++, in the way of learning ActionScript which is an OO language in C++ style syntax.

ActionScript is closer to Java than c++ really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.