Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Missing Parts in a new game - what is acceptable practices for the Company? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Gonser

Spokane Valley
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last 15 years in the hobby I've only made two purchases where parts/contents were missing from the game --- and that includes used purchases. I've outlined two of my experiences below --- but am more curious to hear of others' experiences.

Scenario 1 -
5 Wood blocks are missing from GMT's Command & Colors Ancients. A phone call to GMT was received by a pleasant woman who apologized, asked for my name and address and verified the parts with me. 2 days later a padded envelope arrived with 15 wood blocks.

Scenario 2 -
21 cards, from XXXXX's POPULAR GAME are missing. A phone call to XXXX is an IVR nightmare that ends up with me pressing #3 for customer service and receiving a automated response that the fastest way to receive missing parts is to email them.

I promptly send the email on Wednesday morning advising of the missing pieces. 24 hours later I receive an email advising that it is strange that those parts are missing as they aren't packaged in a manner that would allow that to happen. However, they would be put in the mail anyway. They would be mailed tomorrow (Friday) and should be received in roughly 4 days from shipment - before next weekend.

Comparisons
XXXXX's response within 24 hours is within my acceptable guidelines, but if the missing pieces aren't mailed until the 3rd day, then the 24 hour response is really 48 hours. But the real issue here is that in speaking with GMT I was treated as a customer. I received an apology and their response was fast and courteous. With XXXX, I was almost questioned regarding my claim and received no apology.
Now if XXXX package arrives and they've included a free game or two, I'll apologize -- but even then.. What is acceptable?

Questions
How common of occurrence is this in the industry?
What is an acceptable process? time frame?
Does this impact your future purchases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Goosekeeper wrote:
In the last 15 years in the hobby I've only made two purchases where parts/contents were missing from the game --- and that includes used purchases. I've outlined two of my experiences below --- but am more curious to hear of others' experiences.

Scenario 1 -
5 Wood blocks are missing from GMT's Command & Colors Ancients. A phone call to GMT was received by a pleasant woman who apologized, asked for my name and address and verified the parts with me. 2 days later a padded envelope arrived with 15 wood blocks.

Scenario 2 -
21 cards, from XXXXX's POPULAR GAME are missing. A phone call to XXXX is an IVR nightmare that ends up with me pressing #3 for customer service and receiving a automated response that the fastest way to receive missing parts is to email them.

I promptly send the email on Wednesday morning advising of the missing pieces. 24 hours later I receive an email advising that it is strange that those parts are missing as they aren't packaged in a manner that would allow that to happen. However, they would be put in the mail anyway. They would be mailed tomorrow (Friday) and should be received in roughly 4 days from shipment - before next weekend.

Comparisons
XXXXX's response within 24 hours is within my acceptable guidelines, but if the missing pieces aren't mailed until the 3rd day, then the 24 hour response is really 48 hours. But the real issue here is that in speaking with GMT I was treated as a customer. I received an apology and their response was fast and courteous. With XXXX, I was almost questioned regarding my claim and received no apology.
Now if XXXX package arrives and they've included a free game or two, I'll apologize -- but even then.. What is acceptable?

Questions

From anecdotal evidence gleaned from this site I get the impression that GMT are often guilty of posting games in which the contents have missing components. I would presume that this is because they are a small company with a minimal staff and this is an occasional error in quality control. From my own perspective, the first game I ever bought from them, Onward Christian Soldiers, had an incomplete deck of cards and an Email to the company received a swift apology and a few days later I received a complete deck.

The point I am making is that if GMT make this sort error on a regular basis, and I believe they probably do, then it is obviously in their own best interest to rectify it as quickly and apologetically as possible - to do otherwise would inevitably sink a company that operates on such obviously restricted budgets. This is not, however, a criticism of GMT - I think they are a wonderful company blatantly staffed by enthusiastic and customer-minded staff and while making these mistakes in the first place dents their reputation slightly their wonderful customer service is a nice compensator.

The flipside, of course, is the company that rarely has to deal with such a problem. They are likely larger and don't make such errors very often and so when they do it is the first reaction of the staff to be incredulous and suspicious. Rightly, this leads to feelings on the customer's part that they have been poorly treated.

It is certainly an interesting thing to ponder the fact that you would rather deal with a company that makes mistakes but treats you well than with one that rarely does but treats you poorly. I think I would rather deal with a GMT-esque company, though.

To err is to be human but rudeness is unforgivable.

OP - you really should post the name of the company, though. Your post has implicit criticism of GMT, however fond you or others may be of them, and to allow another company to remain anonymous in the face of similar criticism negates much of the impact of this thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a new wargame from company Y. A counter sheet, and some combat tables were missing. It took two e-mails and a phone call over a month time frame to get a reply. They sent the counters.

It is a small company, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I bought another new wargame from them. Two counter sheets missing. Over the course of three months I made about six e-mails and two phone calls. Finally I got a hold of a woman - she said they had sent the counters and they must have gotten lost in the mail. They would send another set. I waited a month, never got the counters, sent a final e-mail reminder, and gave up.

I've never did and never will buy from that company again. Surprisingly they are still in business.

If anyone is interested in the name of the company, send me a geek-mail (I'm not going to slam them publicly; I know there are others who enjoy their products.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Goosekeeper wrote:

Scenario 1 -

Scenario 2 -

Comparisons

Questions

I think both scenarios are acceptable, and scenario 1 is an example of above and beyond. Companies do wind up fielding a lot of fake 'oh no! pieces are missing!' requests that are in actuality 'oh no! I spilled soda on these cards!', and I'm sure larger companies wind up with more. It's okay to be skeptical, so long as they weren't rude. If your pieces are replaced, that's what matters in the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Gonser

Spokane Valley
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
OP - you really should post the name of the company, though. Your post has implicit criticism of GMT, however fond you or others may be of them, and to allow another company to remain anonymous in the face of similar criticism negates much of the impact of this thread...

CJ - Point taken.

My description of GMT wasn't meant to be negative criticism and since Company B hasn't completely resolved the issue I'll hold off on naming them until they've brought the issue to resolution. i.e if the parts show up on Saturday or are accompanied by a letter with an apology or heaven forbid they don't show up before next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Not acceptable: providing no way to contact them, ignoring attempts to contact them or not rectifying the situation in a reasonable amount of time (which will vary depending on circumstances).

Acceptable: being professional in tone, having a procedure for getting replacement parts and actually following through with the parts on their dime.

Appreciated: being fast and friendly!

Customer service tends to be pretty variable in our niche, especially with the smallest publishers. Even relatively big guys can take some time. I had parts from FFG that took about 4 weeks to get, but I knew it was because they were swamped and accepted that. I still consider their service to be quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both situations sound fine to me. While it is always better to speak to a live person, it's not always practical these days. I'm sure the person responding to your e-mail was thinking out loud more than anything, and not doubting you. They sent you new cards, right? So take it with a grain of salt. And nitpicking over 24 hours versus 48 hours is a little overkill. Responding to your e-mail and learning about the problem within 24 hours is good enough. For all you know, they had to go to a warehouse to find your extra parts, and that took another day. The end result was good in both cases, so I don't see a reason to complain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In both cases the response sounds acceptable to me, Although depending on the tone of the response from the second company, it could be considered rude.

I have had three occasions to deal with customer service at game publishers. The first was Rio Grande, the second was Days of Wonder, and the third was Mayfair.

Rio Grande: After 2 games of Notre Dame I noticed I was missing a blue cube. Did I lose it or was it missing when I got the game? I didn't know. I emailed Rio Grande and told them I was missing a cube, and that I didn't know if I lost it or it was not included. I asked if I could purchase a replacement. Jay emailed me back within a day and said he would send me one free of charge, but he was out of the office for two weeks and could not send it until he got back. Two weeks later I received a padded envelope with the cube.

Mayfair: I purchased a copy of Starfarers of Catan from Ebay. It did not include the silver adapter rings for the rocket boosters. I emailed them and told them I purchased a used copy and that I wanted the rings. Despite the fact I purchased it used and that it was out of print they sent the pieces.

Days of Wonder: I own both Ticket to Ride and TtR: Nordic Countries. I noticed that I only had 44 purple trains in Nordic countries. You only need 40 to play Nordic Countries, but I wanted to use purple in regular TtR, which requires 45. Technically they include 40 trains plus extras. However there are supposed to be 5 extras. I email them and ask for a train. They email me back and tell me that they will not send me one since I have the "40 plus a couple extra" and that Nordic Countries was limited edition and they only have so many replacement parts. This upset me greatly and I told them that I would no longer purchase anything from their company since they were not going to send me a $0.01 piece of plastic. They then apologized and said they thought I meant a set of purple trains and not a single purple train. They said they would send the train. I never responded. For me it was too late, despite having purchased 6 of their big box games prior to this and being very interested in several others, I will not purchase any of their games again.

To sum it up, most of the major publishers are really good in my experience in replacing parts. How long it takes them to get you the parts varies, especially since several of them are very small operations personnel wise. I have been happy with the service they have given me, except for Days of Wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my GMT games have had quite a lot of extra blocks rather than too few. The Command & Colors games also tend to have extra stickers too, so even if a block is lost, then there is a good chance that you have enough stickers and spare blocks to replace it.

From the report above it also sounds that they have good customer service. Well done to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael klausutis
United States
crestview
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Guess I have been fortunate in only having encountered this issue twice. Both times were with FFG. However, their response was awesome. I was missing a single piece from Tide of Iron, sent them and email and got an immediate reply and the piece in the mail in three days. The second was with Days of the Fox, again, a single email, instant reply, and the piece was in the mailbox within days.

While I can't say if the size of the company has any bearing on the issue, but I must say that the prompt, courteous, and professional reply made for very pleasant feeling as a customer. Considering the number of pieces in both games and the fact that they are already separated from the casting sprues makes this issue an inevitability. Personally I am more than happy than doing with a business with a company that stands behind their products and take care of their customers. I have purchased quite a few of their games and all the others were complete, but I feel safe in knowing that if I have a problem they will fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawgfish wrote:
Days of Wonder: I own both Ticket to Ride and TtR: Nordic Countries. I noticed that I only had 44 purple trains in Nordic countries. You only need 40 to play Nordic Countries, but I wanted to use purple in regular TtR, which requires 45. Technically they include 40 trains plus extras. However there are supposed to be 5 extras. I email them and ask for a train. They email me back and tell me that they will not send me one since I have the "40 plus a couple extra" and that Nordic Countries was limited edition and they only have so many replacement parts. This upset me greatly and I told them that I would no longer purchase anything from their company since they were not going to send me a $0.01 piece of plastic. They then apologized and said they thought I meant a set of purple trains and not a single purple train. They said they would send the train. I never responded. For me it was too late, despite having purchased 6 of their big box games prior to this and being very interested in several others, I will not purchase any of their games again.

This doesn't sound like a big deal. You can't expect them to send a full set of trains to anyone who asks, and that's what they thought you wanted. When they realized their error they offered to send you one for free... seems like decent customer service to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
v0lrath wrote:
dawgfish wrote:

This doesn't sound like a big deal. You can't expect them to send a full set of trains to anyone who asks, and that's what they thought you wanted. When they realized their error they offered to send you one for free... seems like decent customer service to me.

Maybe it wasn't but I had already made up my mind to boycott the company. I sent the email informing them of my decision several weeks later after I had time to think about it. Maybe they really did think I meant a set of trains, and maybe that was just an excuse. I don't know and at that point I didn't care. I sent the email to inform them why they had lost a customer, not to get the train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
dawgfish wrote:
v0lrath wrote:
dawgfish wrote:

Maybe it wasn't but I had already made up my mind to boycott the company. I sent the email informing them of my decision several weeks later after I had time to think about it. Maybe they really did think I meant a set of trains, and maybe that was just an excuse. I don't know and at that point I didn't care. I sent the email to inform them why they had lost a customer, not to get the train.

I think you lost a company that makes good games more than they lost a customer. Seriously, I think your response here was wildly out of line.

Could they have read your email a little more carefully? Sure, but they may have been getting 10 requests a day for a full set of purple trains from people who knew they existed just wanted them to play with 6 (or just purple-fetishists) in TTR. Someone scanned your email, said "oh, another request for a set of purple trains," and sent the response they'd sent to everyone requesting a set of purple trains: sorry, they can't do it.

When you responded in what sounds like a fairly indignant and brusque manner, and they realized their error, they agreed to make it right, and you responded by blowing them off and now by slagging them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must concur with remarks made about GMT - their after sales service is the best I have come across. They are polite, responsive and show a caring attitude towards gamers. We are, after all, their best public relations department. Kudos to them and, in particular, Tony Curtis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thereofone wrote:
dawgfish wrote:

I've read this a couple times and have decided I can not facepalm hard enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both initial scenarios are more than acceptable.

Anytime you pick up a phone, you should expect to deal with an automated hell hole. Don't do that.

Unless company 2 advertises "replacement parts in the mail in 24 hours", your expectations re time appear to be out of line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Shaper
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Dawgfish or Clownfish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Czarnecki
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's copy of Tigris & Euphrates arrived without the small green cubes to count single merchant points. My wife contacted Mayfair Games and they immediately sent replacements which arrived within 72 hours. No fuss; no muss. Wonderful customer service from Mayfair Games and thank you to them for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denroy3 wrote:
Dawgfish or Clownfish?

I think the name calling is rude. If you think I am being an idiot for not wanted to buy a game from a company I had a bad experience with that is fine. Say that, but chill with the name calling. I have way too many games on my wish list to worry about cutting off three or four of them, because I don't trust the company to support their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think you lost a company that makes good games more than they lost a customer. Seriously, I think your response here was wildly out of line.

Could they have read your email a little more carefully? Sure, but they may have been getting 10 requests a day for a full set of purple trains from people who knew they existed just wanted them to play with 6 (or just purple-fetishists) in TTR. Someone scanned your email, said "oh, another request for a set of purple trains," and sent the response they'd sent to everyone requesting a set of purple trains: sorry, they can't do it.

When you responded in what sounds like a fairly indignant and brusque manner, and they realized their error, they agreed to make it right, and you responded by blowing them off and now by slagging them here.

To be honest other then Ticket to Ride I have been kind of disappointed in the Days of Wonder Games I have bought. The production quality is great, but mostly I am just so so about the games themselves. I just decided to spend my money on other games.

I don't think it is unreasonable for them to read the emails they get carefully. Nor do I think it is unreasonable to replace a missing part from a game. And I was not indignant or brusque with them. I made a request, and they denied it. I then, several weeks later, sent them an a polite and well written email telling them that I had a poor customer service experience with them and that due to it I would not be doing business with them anymore.

Also is it slagging them to relay truthful accounts of both good and bad customer service experiences in a thread on that very topic. The question was how do different companies handle replacement parts for games. I relayed a case where Days of Wonder refused to do so, while Mayfair and Rio Grade did not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cunkelman
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I just send off a handful of e-mails today for all the recent games I had picked up/received for Christmas and birthday that I finally got around to opening and sorting only to realize I was missing parts!

I don't have resolution yet, as I just contacted these manufactures today, but I'll start with the WHO and WHAT and follow-up in the near future as things shake out... I would like to think I'll get a response from each manufacturer within 1-3 days, and resolution (shipping missing parts) within 7-10 days. I maybe easy going, but I've also have had 2-3 of these games sitting in my closet in shrink wrap since Dec 2009! Obviously I'm not in a hurry... blush

Mayfair/Phalanx - Rise of Empires - Missing all the green cubes, 1 blue cube and a Era 1 Road chit. -Received automoated e-mail response that I will be contacted shortly.

Asmodee - Giants - missing 1 blue tribe marker.

Asmodee - Mission Red Planet - missing almost all the counter sheets, no square or round resource counters, no destination plaques, and the 1st player/start token.

Z-Man Games - Pandemic - Both decks of cards were "crushed/folded" apparently by machine when they were plastic wrapped I'm guessing. There is also a lot of ink scrapes/scratches on the location cards. Received a response that Zev would get back to me in a couple days.

Eagle Games - Rails of Europe - missing the Railroad Development Cards, the whole deck.

I'll quote this post to give BGG readers feedback for each of these companies as they respond. I'm EXPECTING good things, we shall see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
—/A\===/A\===/A\—
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawgfish wrote:
Days of Wonder: I own both Ticket to Ride and TtR: Nordic Countries. I noticed that I only had 44 purple trains in Nordic countries. You only need 40 to play Nordic Countries, but I wanted to use purple in regular TtR, which requires 45. Technically they include 40 trains plus extras. However there are supposed to be 5 extras.

Where does "supposed to be 5 extras" come from? The back of the box clearly reads "120 Colored Train Cars," that would be 40 each in three colors which is also exactly what the rules state: "120 Colored Train cars (40 each in 3 different colors, plus a few spare)." So twice they state 40 each and then in the rules they even let you know they include a few extra.

dawgfish wrote:
I email them and ask for a train. They email me back and tell me that they will not send me one since I have the "40 plus a couple extra" and that Nordic Countries was limited edition and they only have so many replacement parts. This upset me greatly and I told them that I would no longer purchase anything from their company since they were not going to send me a $0.01 piece of plastic. They then apologized and said they thought I meant a set of purple trains and not a single purple train. They said they would send the train.

Still seems like above and beyond good customer service. They actually apologized and admitted they misunderstood your request and then still offered to send you the extra train and your response was:

dawgfish wrote:
I never responded. For me it was too late, despite having purchased 6 of their big box games prior to this and being very interested in several others, I will not purchase any of their games again.

And you also state in this thread:

dawgfish wrote:
I don't think it is unreasonable for them to read the emails they get carefully. Nor do I think it is unreasonable to replace a missing part from a game.

As I said before "The back of the box clearly reads "120 Colored Train Cars," and the rules state: "120 Colored Train cars (40 each in 3 different colors, plus a few spare)." If you would have read that carefully and worded your request specifically such as: "Could I please get one extra purple train so that I will have 45 and can use that color with my other TTR games?" I'm sure they would have offered to send the single train right away, which they offered to anyway after giving you an apology.

dawgfish wrote:
I had already made up my mind to boycott the company.

Yet you reached and hit for the boycott button? Sorry but I find none of DoW's actions that you've described even slightly worthy of a complaint and see this as just another example of their excellent customer service which I have also experienced first hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In ten years since I started gaming again, I've had two missing items from new games.
My son's Gobblet Jr. was missing one piece, Blue Orange (or is Orange Blue?) had a replacement in our mailbox within a few days.
And just a couple weeks ago the blue pig was missing from a Carcassonne expansion, I emailed immediately, had a response within a couple of hours (and that was evening PST). It took a week or two to get it, but they had said it might be 2 or 3 in their immediate response.

All in all, great service.

I've had more experience with companies sending out replacement part for lost or damaged components. I start looking for a way to purchase a new piece, and more often than not the piece has been replaced for free by the manufacturer. I wish I could recall examples... I'm pretty sure by dog destroyed a Pylos sphere when he was a fresh teething pup, and it was complete after that event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
People are getting way too het up about dawgfish's comments - fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably count my game pieces more closely to see if anything is missing when I buy them. I've had two problems with my games:

1. Z-Man Pandemic - Got two sets of yellow cubes, no sets of black cubes. I colored the extra yellow set with a sharpie and got my blacks. No problem.

2. Fundex Mexican Train Dominoes - Got 2 12/4 dominoes (one the grey 12 color, one the brown 11 color) instead of a 12/4 and an 11/4. I wrote to them several months after playing the game, trying to remember that the brown 12/4 is really an 11/4. Got no response, but did get the right piece in the mail a week later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.