David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these common squads or uncommon figures? My Underdark master set came with some color stickers used to differentiate different uncommon units from one another. If it's a common squad of 3 or 4 you could use a marker on the bottom of the figures to differentiate with a small mark or initials. Or, likewise pick up some small colored stickers and apply one set to each squad, then remember you had the blue squad and your friend has the yellow squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has never come up at my house. Using the same units in different armies doesn't appeal to me, or to the folks I play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, quick, and non-permanent solution is to put a small rubber band around the "feet" of the figure(s) for one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy something like these to put on the top of bases:
http://www.mapshop.com/sticker_dots/sticker-dots-medium-f.ht...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Daves
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
It has never come up at my house. Using the same units in different armies doesn't appeal to me, or to the folks I play with.

This mirrors my case as well - I don't play tournaments, and we play that when someone drafts an army card, they're the only ones who can use that particular card.

The original master sets came with a small sheet of dots that could be used to identify a person's figures - I'm sure a sheet of small colored dots from the local office supply could work if you don't mind removing them every game (assuming a shared figure supply). The rubber band trick sounds like a good idea if you can find ones that fit the different base types (of course in a game with more than 2 players, you'd also have to find colored bands or take the time to marker-color a handful of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our house games we never duplicate figures. At tournaments I've played in this hasn't come up much. Mostly we just keep track and there are rarely very many common figures. In one game we each had 2 or more squads of rats so we just kept them facing towards each other to differentiate. I think I've done this with other figures as well but in some cases the facing of the figure can be pretty importand so it is not perfect, but it certainly works fine for the rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules for Swarm of the Marro, on the last rule on Page 14:

"Marking Your Figures: If you are playing with mutiple sets or expansion sets, you may want to use a permament marker to initial the underside of your figures' bases to remember who owns which figure."

This is phrased more for two different pepole sets, but also applies to your question.

But I don't like using same units in different armies like Sphere, so we choose that as a Draft Rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrqwerty wrote:
do you put like little hats on them or something?

I've read through the entire thread now, and I'm still chuckling about this line (and imagining marro wearing little hats!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the "blind" version. All my figures have my initials stickered underneath. If we can't remember who's is who's we take a peak under the figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as all your figures are facing your opponent and his are facing you, you should be able to figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nyys wrote:
As long as all your figures are facing your opponent and his are facing you, you should be able to figure it out.

This sounds like a good solution, but in the reality of the game it is not always optimal figure positioning to have your guys facing towards your opponent. Turning them this way or that may offer better concealment behind cover, or better line of sight on a target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Even though I do have stickers with my initials on the bottom of every one of my figure's bases... I resist marring them with a permanent marker on the top side - besides devalueing them from a collector's stand point, it would be just wrong to have marred marro.

However, at the tournaments that I have attended there are always several players who have devised similar armies with some identical figures to bring to the table. I've never seen it become a serious problem, we usually just keep them facing toward your opponent. But if you insist on having a method to differentiate between yours and theirs I would take the rubber band idea one step further...
jimmcmahon wrote:
Simple, quick, and non-permanent solution is to put a small rubber band around the "feet" of the figure(s) for one player.

...a little more expensive and a lot more noticeable are the fabric coated elastic bands that girls put in their hair, I believe they are called "scrunchies" and they come in various sizes, colors, and are readily available at most major retail outlets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far as I've seen, scrunchies are actually quite large and fabricy. I think you just want elastic hair bands or even rubber band bracelets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not concerned with permanently marking the bases, you could paint the rims of the bases different colors for each squad. Nail polish works really well for this as it's cheap and comes with a built in brush that's exactly the right width for the task. The results look pretty sharp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could pick up a roll of base stickers via ebay.

So one squad of marro is stading on grass, the other on rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.