Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
127 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 2010 War of the Ring Online Tournament: Preliminary Round & R2 Pairings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Both R1 preliminary matches are complete. Deadline for R2 winner's bracket matches is April 26 19!

Greetings Players,

The tournament will now officially start. Because we are using a double elimination format, the 34 player bracket requires a preliminary round of two matches before the majority of matches are played. These initial pairings are as follows:

1) Andrew Poulter v. Thiel Schuhart Matthieu Rolin
2) Cameron McKenzie v. William Towns

The first name plays Free, the second plays Shadow. You have two weeks to complete these matches and email or post the results here on this thread. You can also post any questions here. The losers of the above matches receive round 2 byes, the winners play games 17 and 18 below.

Also on a voluntary basis we are collecting the game logs created by the Java program for each match. Please email these to Kevin W. at kwojtasz @@@ roadrunner.com.

The R2 matches will start as soon as the above games are finished. The pairings are as follows:

3) Amado Angulo v. G Brown
4) Rafamir v. Michael Sosa
5) Randy v. Simon Thornton
6) Dave65 v. Veldrin
7) Darth Revan v. Scott Burns
17) Winner of (1) v. Sean McCarthy
8) Mike M v. John Murdock
9) Kevin Woj. v. Alija Vila
10) J Wire v. Kevin Warrender
11) Christopher Yaure v. Joe Fling
18) Jose Barreto v. Winner of (2)
12) Magic Gecko v. Muhamed Vila
13) Ty Hansen v. Aron Phillips
14) Bruce Skurrock v. Jim Spoto
15) Bertrand v. Nick Case
16) Zimonyl Archibald v. Gabriel Alonso

in each case the first name plays Free, second plays Shadow. I suppose many of you can start your games now rather than wait until R1 is finished since it will not impact most matches.

Good luck gentlemen! And remember, there are no points for second place....

Please post the results here in the following format:

1. Match # & name of opponents
2. Who won & on what turn.
3. What victory condition was achieved
4. Corruption level of ring bearers at game end
5. Position of fellowship in Mordor (step #) or number of regions distance from declaring in Mordor.
6. Shadow VPs
7. Free VPs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The website for the tournament is http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwojtasz/WoTR/wotr2010spring.htm...

Please email your completed game logs to my email at kwojtasz@ roadrunner.com so I can update the winners and losers and move them along on the brackets.

Thanks and good luck everyone!
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Phillips
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty. Ready to hit it! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Towns
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great to me. Hopefully my opponent and I can play our match this weekend so this tourney gets going. Thanks to the organizers for running this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius fixed the link in the old thread, but here it is again for convenience, in case anyone needs quick access to a stripped down how-to for playing on the Java client.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/214498/quickie-guide-to-...

Good luck everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
Nope.

So, When does the next one start?

He rolled well.
He drew better.
He played best.

Well done.

The winner of this event will get The Online World Champion Belt, in the mail.

Mark it and send it to the next guy.

Hope you like it. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Greetings Players,
15) Bertrand v. Nick Case

Anytime anywhere, only the Good can win !
Waiting for your availability Mr Nick Evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
next games start up when both opponents are paired after wins/losses and their side is determined. so after I get the log file email and update the webpage to show where people move to in the next round.

I believe each person plays the side they played the least.

Not sure exactly the plan if people meet which have played the same sides the same amount of times. Odd/Even roll? (Rolling person d6, if it's odd they are SP, if it's even they are FP?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok we are newbies and we try to connect to each other and constantly fail.

Nobody listening. Any hint for us ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Use the website www.whatismyip.com to get the host's IP address (if you are behind a router the game will not show your "real" IP).

2. Download Hamachi (a program that lets you create a small personal network in which one can host the network and the other can join, this also gives you a working IP even if you are behind a router). Get it here: http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are really newbies.

I have opened Hamachi and it gives me an IP. What's next ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are there Thanks Veldrin !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help!

Remember to save your game regularly in case something happens.

Happy Gaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbit badly hunt....
Lots of Orks patrolling in Moria...
Try to save Master...
They accept Smeagol helping in Moria...
Smeagol helping fellows not to separate and get lost...
Master abandonning Smeagol in Moria again...
Gollum getting revenge...
Later...Later...
Precioousss with dirty elve of golden forest...
Waiting...

Quick Shadow advancing,..
Fire in the South, white fortress besieged
Ranger king came with dead men...
Pfff...

Waiting...Preciousss coming out of Forest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Towns
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cameron and I finished our game tonight. Bad news for the Shadow, as Cameron won via ring toss. Good game Cameron!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was very close. If you'd have gone for Dale and Edoras instead of trying to finish off your siege of Erebor, you probably would have pulled it off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Towns
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I didn't have the points. I still needed Helms Deep. Once I lost Saruman, I lost my momentum on that. I will go for Dale/Edoras next time though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh right. Here I was thinking that Shadow needed 8 points to win. I was totally freaking out at the end. If I had realized it was 10 I wouldn't have been so reckless with the fellowship!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Barreto
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cameron beat me handily playing the Shadow. He killed the entire elven force pool in Lorien over the course of 6 turns. He also managed to kill Strider on a mandatory random casualty. Down to 4 dice, I could not move fast enough to get to Mordor before the DEW line fell.

Well played Cameron. Looking forward to how you do in the rest of the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Hansen
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew! After a grinding 15 turn game, Thoronsul (SP) actually emerged victorious over DarthHansen (FP).

FP entered Mordor with 1 corruption and Boromir & Smeagol. Boromir died randomly, so Smeagol simply turned into Gollum. Shadow pulled 3 of 4 stop tiles, as well as other high numbers. I think he drew 9 tiles while the FP was in Mordor! FP chose not to reveal twice to reduce damage (hindsight, not the best idea), and failed altogether on an Athelas roll, and 15 or so corruption later, even with 1-2 other healing cards, Frodo could resist no longer!
We actually missed that one cannot voluntarily reveal to reduce on a Shadow Special that also reveals, so we continued on until a ring dunk did happen, but when 'Give it to Usss' was drawn, FP was at 11 and should've been moved to 12 right then, game over.

It was lots of fun and best of luck to Thoronsul in Round 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Phillips
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I just read that. That's wonderful. It was such a close game though, Ty did very well in grinding my armies down at Lorien and all over the map really. Thank you for that news! Good luck in round 2 to you as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 15 Free People Victory

19 turns ending with only special tiles, 1FP card left to draw and a unique ring destroyed.

Thanks a lot Nick for a long, eventful game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
Game 8 just ended with a Sauron corruption victory. The game was very close and unfortunately came down to straight tile drawing for a decision. However, the dark lord of Mordor (me) got the stupid filthy little hobbit to put on the ring.

Kudos to my opponent who did extremely well and also taught me how to use the client. Thanks again.

I'm sure we made several mistakes but the game was a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 4 ends with a ring dunk by Rafamir with 9 corruption and Shadow at 8 VP. Rafamir and I faced off last year also with sides reversed and both games were close. Here Shadow was one turn and a couple of dice away from having a chance at 10 VPs, with Lorien besieged and an army outside of Rivendell. I had three Shadow special tiles in the pool but they did not come up and Rafamir drew plenty of character dice to advance. There were no elven rings left, with Galadriel using two.

Looking back I think the turning point was allowing a medium sized Rohan army to escape from Helm's Deep. It had been causing massive casualties to my Isengard units and I pulled reinforcements from the Fords to Westnment not expecting Rafamir to abandon HD and give me two VPs. But he went off on an adventure, taking Orthanc, preventing me from retaking the Fords, getting the Ents to kill Saruman, then marching all the way to Dol Guldur and capturing it (I had to retake Orthanc that same turn). Those willy Rohirrim did not meet their end until their last diversionary tactics outside of Morannon, when I had to pull orcs from Osgiliath to confront them. I took some satisfaction from eradicating those pests, but all the dice I spent dealing with those Rohirrim cost me 2VPs at least. Shadow finished in control of Rohan and Gondor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very worthy rematch. Ring dunked on first action of 12th turn. The last few turns were nail biters for the Free as the last companions fell away and Shelob and other nasty tiles still lurked in the pool.

Especially good dice and defensive combat cards enabled the long adventure of my rampaging Rohirrim. The interesting aspect was working just with the starting Rohan forces consolidated at the Fords (first dice were W M H H), plus Eomer and one elite recruited into HD. I left too small a garrison when I charged off to take Dol Guldur, and Mike easily retook Orthanc before a Mighty Attack brought down Dol Guldur's lone defender.

I invested in Trebuchets in MT, Lorien, and Dol Amroth, but forgot the defenders siege superiority advantage of +1 on the first round combat roll. Nevertheless, MT would not have held out for much longer than its paltry three rounds. I was primed for a long fight with 3/2/2 plus Gandalf the White, Aragorn, and Boromir. The WK had four Nazgul and a 9/1/0 stack. But then he opened the assault by playing Dreadful Spells and rolled a whopping 5 5 6 6 6 ! I was left with 2 regulars who busied themselves measuring wood for coffins.

Smeagol smoothed the passage of Moria (I think he was the Balrog tile draw). Mike managed a nasty Gates are Closed and reveal combo as I got to Minas Morgul. Though the three tiles drawn were from the lowest value ones, it meant the Mordor pool was all 2s, 3s, 2 eyes and specials.

To round 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.