Subject: Chit Chat ancestry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has been researching the history of both of our families, and she's come across some interesting information.

She's discovered that my paternal side of the family goes back at least to the 1700's in North Carolina - so, our family has been in this country much longer than I've imagined.

In looking into specific individuals along the family tree, she came across an 1840 census. It appears that I might be a direct decendant of a slave owner. Another interesting item: the census also lists a number of "free blacks" in the same county during that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My ancestry: curious finds
I had two ancestors hanged in Salem as witches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found a lot of interesting things looking back at my family history. We always knew the family originated in the Carolinas as far back as 1756 and eventually moved via covered wagon to Texas. Much like yours including at least one of them was a slave owner.

I found some rather chilling things too that I had never heard of. In particular was a document that was a poem apologizing to his children for killing their mother while in a drunken rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd talk about my ancestry, but Uncle Immanuel's estate is in litigation.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've quite recently found about my second cousin, who is a Nigerian Prince.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have too old informations about my ancestors (maximum hundred years back) but I got soldiers in both World Wars - on all sides. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a case in my family of a couple called John and Sarah having a son called John who married a Sarah. Also a George who called 2 of his sons George (one of those sons is my grandad, who's still alive). Then there's a couple who had twins, one called Alice Violet, and the other called Violet Alice.

The earliest we know about for certain was born in 1799.

We have one guy who is listed as a Casualty in WW1, but he died of "Ptomaine poisoning from eating unwholesome fish" rather than any active service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we are officially NOT twins as my ancestry spans several different countries (on both my mother and father's side)!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I has an ancestor that hung witches in Salem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've traced my ancestry all the way back to my parents when they were married at some point in the 1950's. Records are spotty at best from back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I has an ancestor that hanged witches in Salem.

FTFY.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
I has an ancestor that hanged witches in Salem.

FTFY.

-DK

Wait? What?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scivias wrote:
I don't have too old informations about my ancestors (maximum hundred years back) but I got soldiers in both World Wars - on all sides. shake

At least one person with my exact name has fought in every major US military conflict. I don't know if they all died as well, like Lt Dan's kin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
My mother is a Randolph from the Virginia Randolphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Randolph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Randolph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Randolph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Randolph_Jefferson

Her father's mother is a Reed. My great great great grandfather, Elijiah Reed, founded Reedville Virgina. My grandfather tells me that there were more millionaires in Reedville at the turn of the century than in any city in the US. I'm not sure if that's a per capita number or in total but judging by the size of the homes there, I wouldn't be surprised if it were in total.

My uncle has a portait of the ship George N Reed (my great great grandfather) by Antonio Jacobsen. It's willed to me.

Also, the Dalai Lama told me, when I die, on my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Going back at least 6 generations, every person on my mother's father's family has names that start with "M."

And my paternal great-grandmother's name was Gae Olbich. It's giggle-inducing if you say it out loud.

I know very little about my father's side of the family.

His dad came from Serbia but he never really talked about his past, so that's not really available. (He died in the late 60s.) His mother was born here, but the rest of her family came from Serbia in the early part of the century.(20th, not 21st) I believe that her and her sister were born in Michigan. I know we had family in Serbia but the story goes that everyone save for one little boy was killed by the Nazis during WWII.

That's about all I'll ever know, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
The farthest that I know is that on my mother sides, two of my great uncles fought each other on the Spanish Civil War.On my father side I know that at some point one of my great great dads was the illegitimate son of a slave owner and one of his slaves :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a McLellan on my mother's side I have been informed I am a blood relative of this person: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_McLellan

She never writes, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:

It's nice that you've kept the family business going all this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And my paternal great-grandmother's name was Gae Olbich. It's giggle-inducing if you say it out loud.

You are charmingly hostile! laugh

As for me, apparently I'm related to frontier marshal Ben Thompson on my Mom's side. Haven't figured out how yet. On my Dad's side, I'm a descendent of one of the cousins of Lord William Bentinck, Governor General of India in the late 1820's. That's about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:

This is the least surprising thing I've read all day.

(Now, if you were related to the "more weight" guy, that'd be truly badass. Manliest last words ever uttered.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:

MWChapel wrote:

I have an ancestor who founded Salem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered in my research that my wife and I share a common ancestor.

We're eighth cousins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
pronoblem wrote:

MWChapel wrote:

So mine was a half joke, but mostly true.

My 4th great grandfather on my dad's side was Israel Putnam, a general during the Revolutionary War and made famous in the battle of bunker hill. Who was a 1st cousin once removed of Ann Putnam, which was one of the original accusers during the Salem Witch trials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
le_cygne wrote:

So mine was a half joke, but mostly true.

My 4th great grandfather on my dad's side was Israel Putnam, a general during the Revolutionary War and made famous in the battle of bunker hill. Who was a 1st cousin once removed of Ann Putnam, which was one of the original accusers during the Salem Witch trials.

In a shocking turn of events, I was actually telling the truth for once. There's even a statue of the guy.

And, ahh, yeah, so, sorry about those "consorting with devils" laws,* Goody Pronoblem...

*under Massachusetts Bay Colony law, based in the 17th century on British legal structure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
pronoblem wrote:

MWChapel wrote:

Funny stuff. My connection is on the maternal line. When I lived in Kennebunk my father had a golfing buddy that had the last name Mather and his ancestor did indeed sentence them to death. So time does heal all wounds.

Rebbeca and Mary... RIP.

Sarah did not confess so she was imprisoned for a year...

erak wrote:
(Now, if you were related to the "more weight" guy, that'd be truly badass. Manliest last words ever uttered.)

Law stated that you could not be tried if you refused to plead, so the remedy for that was to crush people until they did so. Makes sense, right? So Giles endured the weight for two days and never said anything but "More weight!". Yes. True badass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.