Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The excellent dungeon crawl Torchlight is currently $5 on Steam. Normally $19.99. This is a great deal and anyone with a passing interest in the genre should check it out. It's not quite on the same level as Diablo 2, they had a much smaller budget to work with after all, but it's still loads of fun and ridiculously addictive.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very VERY fun game, highly recommended. Will keep your Diablo 3 lustings at bay for a wee while

~David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a warning, this is the sort of game where you have to judge if it's worth your time, and not if it's worth your money...because you will spend a lot of time on it if you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say great deal at $20, for $5 it's a steal.

If only they added multiplayer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this game is proof that Blizzard waits too long to release sequels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
I would say great deal at $20, for $5 it's a steal.

If only they added multiplayer...

They are actually currently making a Torchlight MMO, but no word yet on when its planned to be released, or how they are coming with development when I last heard about it. Can't wait though, really should start playing it again!

Actually ignore that, my back catalogue of board games to play is only matched by my back catalogue of video games to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Also, this game is proof that Blizzard waits too long to release sequels.

This game is proof?!

[whispers] Starcraft [/whispers]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice...five bucks is easy. Only problem is, when I tried the demo last time, I could not ever get it to load/play. I'll admit my PC is old but it should at least load. Then again, if I buy it now I'll have it for whenever I do get a machine that can run it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They cant make a Mac OS port fast enough! Oh how I cant wait for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be negative.

click click click, kill kill kill, repeat...item identify, sell repeat, yawn.

For free check out
League of Legends (google it)

multiplayer, over 40 different characters to play. This game has a a great team work aspect, if you don't work together you will be owned.

I have torchlight and it sits unplayed

League of Legends I have over 400 games played....at an average of 40 minutes a game....figure out how much time I spent. (since October)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to compare this to Titan Quest, which I also enjoy.

Torchlight is easy-in, easy out, quick single-player dungeon crawl.

Titan Quest is a much longer, much more immersive game with far more options.

At this point in my life, I play a lot more Torchlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game! Easily worth 5 smackers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just bought it an played it for an hour and a half. Very fun game and definitely worth the $5. Thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
I will be negative.

While I won't say you're unwelcome to be negative - I'm a pretty negative guy myself - I think that's a pretty silly criticism. We can apply your formula to many great games:

Super Mario Bros 3: tap tap tap, jump jump jump, repeat...avoid pit, stomp enemy, yawn.

Half-Life 2: click click click, kill kill kill, repeat...run around, throw physics object, yawn.

Ocarina of Time: tap tap tap, run run run, repeat...push blocks, kill enemy, yawn.

I'm not sure that there's a game out there that this formula cannot be applied to is what I'm saying. Torchlight isn't for everyone, obviously you didn't enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with sharing your opinion, but I'd appreciate it if you'd criticize with a bit more pizazz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Graham
United Kingdom
Goudhurst
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torchlight is good, honest, mindless fun. It is never going to be a classic that stands through the ages, but then it wasn't meant to be. It is essentially an elaborate tech/gameplay demo for the MMO. I don't mean to give the impression it isn't worth buying and playing, because it is. The all-important fun/dollar and fun/minute ratios are high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine recently told me about Torchlight and said it might be possible that there will be community-generated content, like mods and even a multiplayer-mode. What do you think, is that possible?

Anyway, I played the Demo and Torchlight will definitely shorten the waiting on Diablo 3. 5$ (or 4€, here in Europe) is a steal for this gem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mods: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, for some reason this time I was able to download and play the demo. Yes, it's a mindless clickfest, but sometimes those are just fun - and it's not just mindless, based on my cursory glance at the skill trees and spells. Definitely worth the five bucks.
Regarding League of Legends: I don't play well with others. I prefer single player or at the most offline co-op. I don't think I've ever partied with anyone even in Guild Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
I will be negative.

To be honest, I find it lacked being a challenge after a while. As the guy above suggests, it gets pretty monotonous after a while.

While it was cool to buy a Diablo clone for $5 (back during the holiday sale), I don't find it having much staying power. I have no regrets buying it, but there are other games more worth my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
A friend of mine recently told me about Torchlight and said it might be possible that there will be community-generated content, like mods and even a multiplayer-mode. What do you think, is that possible?

Anyway, I played the Demo and Torchlight will definitely shorten the waiting on Diablo 3. 5$ (or 4€, here in Europe) is a steal for this gem.

There are tons of mods available for Torchlight, you can find them at the link Tuuli posted or on the official message boards at http://forums.runicgames.com/

In addition to mods that improve the user interface and such, there are mods that add new monsters, add additional dungeons, add new playable classes, and things like that.

I think multiplayer is sort of the holy grail of mod-making for this game, but I doubt we'll see it, and if we do it'll be a while. But as David said above, there are plans for a Torchlight MMO eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
vinniebrasco wrote:
I will be negative.

To be honest, I find it lacked being a challenge after a while. As the guy above suggests, it gets pretty monotonous after a while.

While it was cool to buy a Diablo clone for $5 (back during the holiday sale), I don't find it having much staying power. I have no regrets buying it, but there are other games more worth my time.

This is a better criticism and I kind of a agree with you, on the lower difficulty levels especially the game can be kind of easy. I usually play on at least Hard, not because I'm a masochistic gamer, but because I find the lower difficulty levels get too easy after a while. You can also try the Hardcore mode if you're up for a real challenge, but that's a bit beyond me personally.

Also there are a few mods I play with that up the challenge a bit, one that adds new, more difficult monsters, and one that adds more named monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Graham
United Kingdom
Goudhurst
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:

Torchlight uses Ogre3d, an open-source 3d rendering engine. This means that it is very easy to modify compared to most commercial games. Having said that, adding something like network play to an existing product is a big ask. It is being worked on, but it will probably never be polished to the level expected of a commercial product. Best wait for the Torchlight MMO, that has always been the goal of the Runic games team anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Beckner
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
Purchased, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlee wrote:
Purchased, thanks!

Purchased as well....no thanks! making me spend more money. cry
If anyone hasn't tried it out, Titan Quest is an excellent Diablo clone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.