Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is Dixit pronounced? Is it like "fix it", but with a "D"? Or is it more like dee-sheet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The word comes directly from Latin, in which the pronunciation would be the first example you list: "Diks-it" or "Deeks-eet" (depending on how snooty you want to sound)

Even in French (significant, since the game was originally published in French), the pronunciation still follows the Latin and enunciates the "t", which would otherwise be silent:
http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/dixit

Perhaps someone associated directly with the game can comment, but until then, I'd feel pretty safe with this pronunciation....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, it literally means "[he/she/it] says", if that makes any difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I've been meaning to ask this same question.

We tend to call it Dix-it (like "fix-it") in our group, but at one point we wondered if it was pronounced like the word "deceit", which would fit the theme of the game.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It rhymes with "Fix it"

I just hope nobody asks about how to pronounce "Cyclades".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse C
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This all makes more sense than the the definition someone in our group found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dikshit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Madden
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested in the Latin: "Dixit" is the third person perfect of "dicere", to say. So the translation would be "he [or she] said". And it rhymes with "fix-it" in both classical and ecclesiastical pronunciations.

Now, if I could just get my hands on the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dazeysan wrote:
This all makes more sense than the the definition someone in our group found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dikshit

you must have a poker player in your group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still a rubbish name though. 'Dicks it.' Someone always brings that up.

Latin isn't automatically pretentious if you choose a stupid-sounding word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Flames of Azure wrote:
It's still a rubbish name though. 'Dicks it.' Someone always brings that up.

You're the only one I remember bringing it up... I guess you are that "someone" who always brings it up. Ipse dixit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel B
France
Paris
flag msg tools
I'm just a villager! Believe me!
mbmbmbmbmb
In French, it's "Deeks-it".

I concur it comes from Latin and mean "(s)he said". Moreover in French (I don't know if it is used like this anywhere else), it's an old-fashioned way of telling you're just quoting somebody else (a bit like "sic" means you didn't correct a bad spelling).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
It rhymes with "Fix it"

I just hope nobody asks about how to pronounce "Cyclades".

Every now and again, I'm tempted to keep you busy by starting, "How do you pronounce ... " threads on other Asmodee games.

Claustrophobia, for example.

The only thing that stops me is the sure knowledge that you would get even with me at GenCon.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Lustig
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I just had someone tell me: "it's French, pronounced like the English 'deceit'."
I was overjoyed at the revelation that now the title was a great play on words, apropos to the game, for an English audience too.

Sadly, it appears they were wrong. The French "Deek-sit" is still better than how we were pronouncing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O'Neil
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emperors_spork wrote:
Interesting. I just had someone tell me: "it's French, pronounced like the English 'deceit'."
I was overjoyed at the revelation that now the title was a great play on words, apropos to the game, for an English audience too.

Sadly, it appears they were wrong. The French "Deek-sit" is still better than how we were pronouncing it.

The French pronunciation is the same as classical Latin. The first 'i' in the perfect tense of 'dico' is long and the 'i' in the 3rd singular ending is short. With continental vowel quantities, that's basically 'deek-sit.'

But if most people say 'dick-sit,' I'm cool with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.