Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fan-created Expansion. Dominion: Venture rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me what you guys think!

Quote:
Name: Hitman
Card type: Action/Attack
Cost: 6
Text: Trash this card then choose up to two opponents, skip their turn.


Quote:
Name: Healer
Card type: Action
Cost: 6
Bonus: +1 Card +1 Action +1 Buy
Text: Trash one cruse card from your deck or discard pile


Quote:
Name: Gatherers
Card type: Action
Cost: 6
Text: Trash a victory card in your hand gain a victory card costing 3 more


Quote:
Name: Cursed Travelers
Card type: Curse/Action
Cost: 5
Bonus: -3VP +1Action +3Cards
Text: If this card is trashed gain a curse card


Quote:
Name: Cursed Ship
Card type: Curse/Action/Duration
Cost: 5
Bonus: -2 VP +1 Action
Text: Now and the start of your next turn +2Cards


Quote:
Name: Hunter
Card type: Action
Cost: 4
Bonus: +1 Action
Text: When this card is played discard an estate card from your hand, if so +2 coin +1 Card, if not gain an estate card.


Quote:
Name: Cattle
Card type: Action/Duration
Cost: 4
Text: Now and every turn after, you may trash one card from your hand, if so +1 Card, if not trash this card and gain a curse card.


Quote:
Name: Mercenary
Card type: Action/Duration
Cost: 3
Bonus: +1 Action +1 Card
Text: Now and the start of your next turn your opponents discard one card from their hands. There can only be one Mercenary in play at a time.


Quote:
Name: Reuse
Card type: Action
Cost: 3
Text: Gain a card from the Trash pile


Edit 2:removed broken cards and changed card type to include action w/ the duration
Edit 3: I play tested the bolded cards tonight and found cattle was WAY to powerful and imma try it with only +1 card, Gatherers played how i would expect a 6 card to play, Cursed ship was to powerful too so imma try it costing 5
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
Tell me what you guys think!
I think you just made a bunch of really unbalanced cards, pretending that they work when in fact they follow very few of the basic tenets of the game's design, and then posted a thread about it, calling it a fan expansion without doing any of the work necessary to actually call it a fan expansion.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Undrdatree wrote:
Tell me what you guys think!
I think you just made a bunch of really unbalanced cards, pretending that they work when in fact they follow very few of the basic tenets of the game's design, and then posted a thread about it, calling it a fan expansion without doing any of the work necessary to actually call it a fan expansion.


Unless you can't read in addition to being belligerent i am not a "game designer" and made no claims to be. Just trying this out.

I didn't pretend they are anything but ideas. so i have an idea, give me some help. Where can they be balanced? So when i write fan expansion i meant i am a fan and i put some card ideas down, and there were more than ten so i said expansion. so be helpful!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cattle, Timber Mill, Cursed Ship and Mercenary can never be put into play. That kinda limits their usefulness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
Cattle, Timber Mill, Cursed Ship and Mercenary can never be put into play. That kinda limits their usefulness.

I'm confused (obviously) why can't they?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
JackRudd wrote:
Cattle, Timber Mill, Cursed Ship and Mercenary can never be put into play. That kinda limits their usefulness.

I'm confused (obviously) why can't they?


Because they don't have the appropriate type. Cards that can be put into play in your action phase must have the ACTION type; cards that can be put into play in your buy phase must have the TREASURE type; cards that can be put into play in your opponents' action phases must have the REACTION type. These cards do not have any of these types, and thus have no way to enter play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destry Miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
Undrdatree wrote:
Tell me what you guys think!


I don't think you spent any time thinking how the cards will actually play out.

Quote:
Name: Hitman
Card type: Action/Attack
Cost: 7
Text: Choose up to two opponents, skip their turn.


Too overpowered at any price. If you can draw your deck in a 3-player game, you can stop them from getting a turn till the end of the game.
Quote:

Quote:
Name: Cattle
Card type: Duration
Cost: 4
Text: Now and every turn after, you may trash a card from your hand, if so +1 Treasure +1 Card, if not trash this card and gain a curse card.



Broken. Buy cattle/nothing first two hands. Play cattle - trash 3 estates and 3 copper and buy gold. Next hand, trash everything except Gold, and buy Gold. Next hand, buy gold, and trash cattle. Now your hand is 3 Gold and a Curse. Every turn, buy Province until you can't then buy Gold. No other strategy can come close.

Oops, misread cattle card. Never mind.

Quote:
Name: Rogue Merchant
Card type: Curse/Action
Cost: 2
Bonus: -2 VP -1 Treasure
Text: When this card is trashed +6 coin.


If there's any trasher out, this become a gold. Otherwise it will never get bought.

Edited to remove misreading of cattle card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand why you guys are being uncouth, but i'm just looking for some input. i'll look over the cards and edit them accordingly to what you have brought to my attention.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
destry wrote:
Undrdatree wrote:
Tell me what you guys think!


I don't think you spent any time thinking how the cards will actually play out.

Quote:
Name: Hitman
Card type: Action/Attack
Cost: 7
Text: Choose up to two opponents, skip their turn.


Too overpowered at any price. If you can draw your deck in a 3-player game, you can stop them from getting a turn till the end of the game.

Quote:
Name: Cattle
Card type: Duration
Cost: 4
Text: Now and every turn after, you may trash a card from your hand, if so +1 Treasure +1 Card, if not trash this card and gain a curse card.


Broken. Buy cattle/nothing first two hands. Play cattle - trash 3 estates and 3 copper and buy gold. Next hand, trash everything except Gold, and buy Gold. Next hand, buy gold, and trash cattle. Now your hand is 3 Gold and a Curse. Every turn, buy Province until you can't then buy Gold. No other strategy can come close.

Quote:
Name: Rogue Merchant
Card type: Curse/Action
Cost: 2
Bonus: -2 VP -1 Treasure
Text: When this card is trashed +6 coin.


If there's any trasher out, this become a gold. Otherwise it will never get bought.



Ohhhhh ok this is what i was meaning with this card...
Quote:
Name: Cattle
Card type: Duration
Cost: 4
Text: Now and every turn after, you may trash one card from your hand, if so +1 Treasure +1 Card, if not trash this card and gain a curse card.


thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent R.
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
On the count of three, you will want to game...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Destry was being uncouth at all. Intelligently articulated problems with some of your ideas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Oh dear.

Quote:
Name: Hitman
Card type: Action/Attack
Cost: 7
Text: Choose up to two opponents, skip their turn.


Let's see: this costs 7, it's a targeted Attack, it scales horribly, and it leads to stupidly broken infinite turns combos in two- or three-player games. And to think I wondered just how many basic design flaws could be crammed into a single card.

Quote:
Name: Healer
Card type: Action
Cost: 6
Bonus: +1 Card +1 Action +1 Buy
Text: Trash one cruse card from your deck or discard pile


Awful if Curse-distributing cards are not in play, and doesn't work properly with the game mechanics because discard piles and decks are not public knowledge.

Quote:
Name: Gatherers
Card type: Action
Cost: 5
Text: Trash a victory card in your hand gain a victory card costing 3 more


Because Remodel.dek just isn't good enough, let's make a card that does exactly that except better and has no other possible use.

Quote:
Name: Landlord
Card type: Victory
Cost: 5
Text: +1VP for every estate in the trash


Absurdly swingy depending on tableau. If no trash power is available, it's worthless; if trash power is available, it's ridiculously broken, to the point where the very idea of going for any strategy beyond BUY LANDLORD is laughable. And that's not even mentioning its problems with scaling to number of players.

Quote:
Name: Cursed Travelers
Card type: Curse/Action
Cost: 5
Bonus: -3VP +1Action +3Cards
Text: When this card is trashed gain a curse card


Because Laboratory is just too weak.

Quote:
Name: Hunter
Card type: Action
Cost: 4
Bonus: +1 Action
Text: When this card is played discard an estate card from your hand, if so +2 coin +2 Card, if not gain an estate card.


I always thought Baron was missing something, and now I know what exactly it was missing: it needed to be more like Conspirator and Laboratory.

Quote:
Name: Cattle
Card type: Duration
Cost: 4
Text: Now and every turn after, you may trash a card from your hand, if so +1 Treasure +1 Card, if not trash this card and gain a curse card.


Chapel is just too weak. It makes you waste turns and takes up space in your deck. I know! Let's create a new version of it that still obliterates the deck's Copper and Estates but that, rather than burning turns to do so, actively improves those turns by replacing the weak cards with a virtual Copper and an extra card from the deck! Brilliant!

Quote:
Name: Traveling Merchant
Card type: Action
Cost: 4
Text: Gain a card costing up to 4. If you gain a curse card +1 Card +1Action; if you gain a victory card +1 Card; if you gain a treasure card +1 Treasure; if you gain a duration card +1 Action


This is highly superior to Ironworks in decks based around the brilliant strategy of gaining Curses. Of course, it's a pity that it's pretty much Ironworks-except-worse in any deck that isn't based around gaining Curses, i.e. every deck ever.

Quote:
Name: Timber mill
Card type: Duration
Cost: 3
Text: Now and for the next 3 turns +1 Buy per Timber mill in play


What was the point of this, to be broken with Bridge and Gardens and to be worse than Woodcutter with anything else? A mere two of these - the first time the "per Timber Mill" effect matters - will net the user +4 Buys, which is basically more than anyone will ever need.

Quote:
Name: Cursed Ship
Card type: Curse/Duration
Cost: 3
Bonus: -2 VP +1 Action
Text: Now and the start of your next turn +2Cards


I've got an idea! Let's take Laboratory, throw in a Wharf effect, and lower the cost to 3! Don't worry, we'll tack on a 2 VP cost, because I'm sure a weak card like the Fishing Laboratory couldn't possibly make up for such a hefty cost as that with its power.

Quote:
Name: Mercenary
Card type: Duration
Cost: 3
Bonus: -1 Treasure +1 Action +1 Card
Text: Now and the start of your next turn your opponents discard one card from their hands. There can only be one Mercenary in play at a time.


I can't see myself ever buying this. Compare pretty much any of the other cheap Attacks - even a Cutpurse is better than this.

Quote:
Name: Reuse
Card type: Action
Cost: 3
Text: Gain a card from the Trash pile


Useless in most tableaus, and then becomes "Action: Gain a Province" when Swindler or Saboteur is available. It seems like all of your cards are either worthless, broken, or either worthless or broken (but never just decent) depending on the tableau. This is known as "bad design".

Quote:
Name: Rogue Merchant
Card type: Curse/Action
Cost: 2
Bonus: -2 VP -1 Treasure
Text: When this card is trashed +6 coin.


On top of your usual let's-make-cards-that-are-useless-in-pretty-much-every-tableau nonsense, you've here gone and completely ignored the fundamental rules of the game. Why is this an Action when it doesn't have any Action effect, and what's the point of the -1 Coin effect when you can just choose to not play it? Everything about this list of cards feels like you just typed up a bunch of random stuff without even thinking.

Quote:
Name: Villain Village
Card type: Curse/Action
Cost: 1
Bonus: +1 Action -1VP
Text: You may trash one Villain Village from your hand or discard pile. When this card is trashed +1 action.

[/q]

Native Village, a 2-buy, can be used as a flat +2 Actions, and here you go making some absurd thing that takes multiple copies, costs VP, and isn't reusable to try to simply accomplish that effect?

Steve is entirely correct in this matter.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
I didn't pretend they are anything but ideas. so i have an idea, give me some help. Where can they be balanced? So when i write fan expansion i meant i am a fan and i put some card ideas down, and there were more than ten so i said expansion. so be helpful!



Looking at just your first two cards, the first (Hitman) is an instant win card in a large number of setups, and also features the worst game mechanic ever (turn skipping).

The second card (Healer) doesn't even work given the rules of Dominion. (How would you find a curse in your deck or discard pile? The card doesn't give you a means to look at them.)

There's not really anything I can say except that you should read and understand the rules and play a few games before making up your own cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brotwein wrote:
I don't think Destry was being uncouth at all. Intelligently articulated problems with some of your ideas.

i agree he wasn't i thank him for the help just an ill timed reply
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Oh dear.

Quote:
Name: Hitman
Card type: Action/Attack
Cost: 7
Text: Choose up to two opponents, skip their turn.


Let's see: this costs 7, it's a targeted Attack, it scales horribly, and it leads to stupidly broken infinite turns combos in two- or three-player games. And to think I wondered just how many basic design flaws could be crammed into a single card.
............



despite your comments being far from friendly i'll take them as constructive criticism

for some reason i thought the board would show me where i was wrong and politely help

but instead i got some frustrated people who would take any opportunity to criticize someone

look all i did was throw some ideas down
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not in the mood to expound on why I think each card you posted is terrible, in fact I haven't even looked over all of them.

I also see no reason to.

Here's why:

A) Fan-made cards should not be posted in bulk. One at a time, or 2-4 if it is a new type.
B) This sure as hell isn't a fan-made expansion - what's the theme, what's the reason, did you make any of the physical cards, what's different about it? It just looks like a hodgepodge of cards that you wanted to make.
C) Looking at even a sparse few of them, I can find cards that would ruin the Dominion experience for everyone, most notably the "Hitman."
D) Hitman breaks at least three unwritten rules of Dominion's design.

Joseph, you might take offense to these comments, but please don't - you are simply the latest in a recent queue of people posting broken fan card ideas, and I am simply another person who feels like I should give cursory glance to all of them and gets aggravated when it's another terrible card proposal.

Okay I'm leaving I'll come back to reply to personal attacks on my character in a few hours.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Undrdatree wrote:
look all i did was throw some ideas down


Yes. We know. All you did was throw some ideas down.

That's the problem.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas were actually balanced in terms of power.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas would actually be consistent across different Kingdom Card sets.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas conformed to Dominion card design philosophy.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas conformed to the actual rules of the game.

You didn't bother to think. All you did was throw some ideas down.

And stop whining about how the world is oh-so-cruel to you and you're such a martyr for the horrible fate that has befallen you here and yadda yadda yadda. Stop making terrible cards and we'll stop informing you that your cards are terrible.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Undrdatree wrote:
look all i did was throw some ideas down


Yes. We know. All you did was throw some ideas down.

That's the problem.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas were actually balanced in terms of power.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas would actually be consistent across different Kingdom Card sets.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas conformed to Dominion card design philosophy.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas conformed to the actual rules of the game.

You didn't bother to think. All you did was throw some ideas down.

And stop whining about how the world is oh-so-cruel to you and you're such a martyr for the horrible fate that has befallen you here and yadda yadda yadda. Stop making terrible cards and we'll stop informing you that your cards are terrible.


look dude idk what you think this place is but i didn't think you had to be a professional to post something on the board
i'm not claiming the cards are great the savior of dominion... so tell me they are terrible and tell me how some tweaks can help or if they are beyond saving other wise go back to your unhappy life.

no i didn't bother to do some of those things listed cause i didn't think it was life or death i thought the board would be helpful
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the harsh world of Dominion variants, where anything you say can and WILL be used against you. arrrh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Name: Hitman
Card type: Action/Attack
Cost: 6
Text:Trash this card then choose up to two opponents, skip their turn.


and let me guess this edit is still stupid, because.... well just because

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:

Yes. We know. All you did was throw some ideas down.

That's the problem.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas were actually balanced in terms of power.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas would actually be consistent across different Kingdom Card sets.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas conformed to Dominion card design philosophy.

You didn't bother to think about whether those ideas conformed to the actual rules of the game.

You didn't bother to think. All you did was throw some ideas down.

And stop whining about how the world is oh-so-cruel to you and you're such a martyr for the horrible fate that has befallen you here and yadda yadda yadda. Stop making terrible cards and we'll stop informing you that your cards are terrible.


You forgot to award him no points and wish mercy upon his poor soul. Show some class.


Joseph, don't worry about it because this happens often in threads for fan-created cards. Just go back to work on a few of your ideas and perhaps playtest them at home.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Name: Hunter
Card type: Action
Cost: 4
Bonus: +1 Action
Text: When this card is played discard an estate card from your hand, if so +2 coin +1 Card, if not gain an estate card.


Quote:
Name: Cursed Ship
Card type: Curse/Duration
Cost: 4
Bonus: -2 VP +1 Action
Text: Now and the start of your next turn +2Cards


Quote:
Name: Mercenary
Card type: Duration
Cost: 3
Bonus: +1 Action +1 Card
Text: Now and the start of your next turn your opponents discard one card from their hands. There can only be one Mercenary in play at a time.
removed -1 Treasure

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:

Quote:
Name: Cursed Ship
Card type: Curse/Duration
Cost: 4
Bonus: -2 VP +1 Action
Text: Now and the start of your next turn +2Cards


Quote:
Name: Mercenary
Card type: Duration
Cost: 3
Bonus: +1 Action +1 Card
Text: Now and the start of your next turn your opponents discard one card from their hands. There can only be one Mercenary in play at a time.
removed -1 Treasure



These cards are still incapable of being brought into play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
Undrdatree wrote:

Quote:
Name: Cursed Ship
Card type: Curse/Duration
Cost: 4
Bonus: -2 VP +1 Action
Text: Now and the start of your next turn +2Cards


Quote:
Name: Mercenary
Card type: Duration
Cost: 3
Bonus: +1 Action +1 Card
Text: Now and the start of your next turn your opponents discard one card from their hands. There can only be one Mercenary in play at a time.
removed -1 Treasure



These cards are still incapable of being brought into play.


how can they be change to be brought in play? do i need to change the card type to action/curse/duration?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
JackRudd wrote:
Undrdatree wrote:

Quote:
Name: Cursed Ship
Card type: Curse/Duration
Cost: 4
Bonus: -2 VP +1 Action
Text: Now and the start of your next turn +2Cards


Quote:
Name: Mercenary
Card type: Duration
Cost: 3
Bonus: +1 Action +1 Card
Text: Now and the start of your next turn your opponents discard one card from their hands. There can only be one Mercenary in play at a time.
removed -1 Treasure



These cards are still incapable of being brought into play.


how can they be change to be brought in play? do i need to change the card type to action/curse/duration?


Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok i changed that i thought it was redundant to put both
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.