BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: What type of component should these tokens be? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J L
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello fellow designers,

I'm building a better quality prototype of the game I've been working on as of late. I think my existing prototype makes the game less clear and satisfying to play. I want to introduce new playtesters to the game and I don't want people to get turned off with my paper tokens and sharpie marked up cards

I've got an idea of what each component should be made from and what information it needs to convey except for one. The game features 9 pawns, shared by all the players, that are moved about the board frequently during each round. Each pawn corresponds to a section on the board where 2 cards are dealt. The cards represent what is required to score for this pawn. Each round the cards are dealt anew to change the scoring criteria for the pawns.

My instinct is that the pawns should be physical pawns or meeples. Players move them around frequently and they should be easy to pick up and reposition. I'm trying to avoid using cardboard tokens as they can be fiddly and are less tactile.

However the problem with using basic meeples is that there are 9 distinct pawns to represent. 9 different colours may be a bit much and will certainly cause issues with colourblind players. I've considered using differently shaped meeples to reduce the variety of colours required. I've also considered just using cardboard tokens with iconography. Perhaps even using plastic stands to mount them vertically?

Can you suggest an alternative or provide feedback to the ideas I mentioned?

~John~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
a 1" cube with a colored shape sticker on top. easy to handle and identify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Canada we have a craft store called Michaels - not sure if it is in the US. If you find a good craft store they will have many wooden cubes, pawns, discs etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent R.
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
On the count of three, you will want to game...
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed cardstock in a plastic stand (a la Arkham Horror) would be fine if you can get excellent graphics.

There are a wide variety of bits available if you want plastic or wood, and I saw several shops here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4765273#4765273
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeples makes awesome pawns, solve the colorblind issues by using different shape meeples:

Pic is from DapperDevil.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A battleship, a hat, a cannon, a dog, an old shoe...

(Just kidding.)

Quote:
9 different colours may be a bit much and will certainly cause issues with colourblind players.

Right. Also an issue in places with poor lighting.

Quote:
Perhaps even using plastic stands to mount them vertically?

thumbsup

They are inexpensive, easy to handle, and they offer an opportunity for some nifty artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harmon
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think pawns or meeples could still work with 7 colors plus black and white. I know kill doctor lucky does 8 different color pawns and it would only be 1 more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Get yer board, and split it up into a 3x3 grid.

Each square of the grid serves the purpose of the pawn. When/if you would move the pawn, move the cards instead. It might not work for your design but if it does it'd be a lot cheaper to produce than 9 distinct meeples.

If the pawns currently need to move because players change possession of them, then give players a colored token to show ownership, or make the 9 districts on a tile big enough to hold 2 cards that can still go from player to player (though that sounds pretty unwieldy to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.