Subject: Overwatch and sustained fire??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
old spirit
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew how to do the scrabble icons to demonstrate but I'll try my best...
A SM is in Overwatch facing a closed door. Behind the door is a line of GS both revealed and blips. The first GS opens the door. Overwatch kicks in and the first GS dies on the first roll. The second GS moves forward for the kill. Now, is the SM in sustained fire? Or, does the SM have to 'start over' by rolling the dice and then roll again to get into sustained fire because of the 'new' GS?

Try this one:
If the first GS is killed on the second roll forcing the blip behind to be involuntarily revealed does the SM maintain sustained fire or does the SM have to roll and then roll again to get back into sustained fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Esau
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The second GS moves forward for the kill. Now, is the SM in sustained fire?

No, the sustained fire bonus only applies if the SM is still firing at the same target.

Quote:
If the first GS is killed on the second roll forcing the blip behind to be involuntarily revealed does the SM maintain sustained fire or does the SM have to roll and then roll again to get back into sustained fire?

Same deal, if the SM's target changes the sustained fire bonus is lost. If the 1st shot against the 2nd GS is unsuccessful, the SM gets his sustained fire bonus back on the next roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sustained Fire *only* works against the same target, never because the Marine simply fired twice in a row (he has to fire twice in a row at the same target).

oldspirit wrote:

Try this one:

This case is interesting, not because of Sustained Fire (which is clear, since the first GS died, then there's no more sustained fire), but because of the involuntary reveal. IIUC, the marine would get an overwatch shot at the newly placed GS. Not sure I agree with that (I like the idea of one overwatch shot per GS turn), but according to the 3rd Ed FAQ, that's how it should play. However, if the newly revealed blip was more than one, the marine only gets one shot at one of the newly placed blips.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get sustained fire as a reaction to an action. Revealing blips - voluntarily or not - is never considered to be an action. As simple as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I've always played it, until the second "faq" came out (Additional Clarifications )

Quote:
Q. On the Genestealer player's turn, suppose the Space Marine player reacts to a Genestealer action, using a CP to turn-and-shoot a model in such a way as to bring a blip into LOS. This triggers an involuntary blip conversion, which (according to the rules on page 17) gives the Space Marine model another opportunity to react. The Space Marine uses another CP to turn-and-shoot the model in such a way as to bring another blip into LOS. This triggers another involuntary blip conversion, and so on. Is the Space Marine player allowed to "chain" multiple reactions together like this?

A. Yes.

I was extrapolating this into Overwatch, so I'm probably mistaken, but if revealing a blip counts as an "action" for CPs to be used, why wouldn't it count as an action for Overwatch fire?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook explains this on page 17:
Quote:
In the case of voluntary reveals, the Genestealers may not be placed in line of sight of a Space Marine. With involuntary reveals they may be and, in this case, placing the Genestealer counts as performing an action and so the Space Marine can fire on overwatch or spend command points to perform an action.
(emphasis added)

Edit: Also see my Line of Sight thread which has an example of an out-of-sight Genestealer opening a door which does not allow an overwatch shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.