GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: The Introduction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
July 8, 2004
I've finally invited my neighbors, Pat (who's a Registered Nurse and works nights) and Lori (who works for the school system) over to introduce them to Boardgames, starting with the basic Carcassonne. I had given Lori a copy for Christmas but she's yet to find the time or inclination to try it. Pat is not into games or cards of any kind so I was a bit hesitant about this get together.

They arrived about 3 o'clock and after a run down of the rules, we began. They analyzed moves to make sure they understood the consequences of different placement, asked me for opinions of which would be the best move, made sure they understood the scoring for each move and basically tried to absorb this totally differnt concept in games. We didn't play cuttroat, though not exactly helping each other either, and we had a great time. The worst part, of course, is sorting out those tricky farmers but even that they understood in the end.

We all ended up with a farmer sharing what became a massive field, but Pat had one extra city and Lori ended up with 2 extra on the periphery. Lori had managed to finish a large city with her last tile and scored 30 points on it which gave her the win. Pat had drawn most of the Monasteries and scored well with those; she came in second. Yeeees, the teacher came in last. But they enjoyed the game so will come back again and then I shall pounce!

To round out the visit, I showed them my camels! My new herd of pastel camels. Oh, you should have heard the ooo's and aahh's and aren't they cute! I don't think that will be too hard to show them in the future.

And since it was sitting right there on a shelf, I brought out Wings of War to show them how great it is to fly planes in aerial combat. My husband helped Pat and I helped Lori. We only did one set of maneuvers as a demonstration but they seemed quite impressed with the concept.

By now it was 4:30 or so and they had to go fix supper but they both thought we should get together and do this again. Success!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Andrews
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mission Accomplished
Bravo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.