Popular Tags: [View All]
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused by the lay off rule, how does it work?

when my opponent have 3,4,5,6 of turtle on the board on his side, and i want to lay off my 2 and 7 turtle, do i play these 2 cards beside his run, on his side of the table, or do i play these 2 cards on my side of the table?

from what i understand, they comes to my side. wont that means i now have 2 single cards which is not part of a run or set on my side? in that case, can other players continue my run and place 9, 10 of turtle? i'm totally confused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven D
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are 100% correct.

You play the 2 and 7 of Turtle in front of you. They are your resources and they count towards your score. It may look a bit odd, but they are still considered to be part of a run... it is just that the entire run is not in front of only one player.

If a third player (or any player for that matter) plays the 9 and 10 of Turtle to that run, they go in front of that player and those cards count towards their score.

Hope this helps!
And thanks for playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
more rules question after trying it out with a deck of playing cards.

if i have 7,7,7,7 set in front of me, can my opponent lay off a run based on 5 & 6 from a suit? can cards in a set be used in a run as well?

basically i find that after forming a set, a run become very hard to form and the game dragged on.i was wondering if i got the runs wrong.

also, regarding scoring, if i have 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 & 11 of a suit, am i consider having 9 cards for a run for the bonus points?

and what if i've only lay off my opponent run such that i only have 2 cards in a suit. do i score points for that? (5 point each?)

the the special bonus of a run of each suit, must it be a run that i've meld? does lay off considered? what if i've a suit that i lay off 3,4 &10. is this a run?

thanks! i have no experience with traditional rummy, so all this are very confusing to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven D
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the really late reply...

--if i have 7,7,7,7 set in front of me, can my opponent lay off a run based on 5 & 6 from a suit? can cards in a set be used in a run as well?

No, once a card is in a set it can not be used in a run, nor the other way around. There are the wild cards to help out with this and keep the game going. Plus, it is part of the strategy in Rummy... play cards that tie your opponents hands!

- If i have 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 & 11 of a suit, am i consider having 9 cards for a run for the bonus points

Yes, you have 9 cards (not 11 values)

- If i've only lay off my opponent run such that i only have 2 cards in a suit. do i score points for that? (5 point each?)

Yes, these are scored as lay off points for you

- the special bonus of a run of each suit, must it be a run that i've meld?

Yes, that was the intention of the rule

- does lay off considered?

No, they are just normal lay off points

-what if i've a suit that i lay off 3,4 &10. is this a run?

No, those are just lay-off points.

That said, if you have enough cards at the time you put them down to from your own run, that would be a good play. Then you can qualify for bonus points. If you lat them down one at a time, the cost is that you don't get the bonus.

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.