Subject: which game do you like better? T&E OR RE? BRASS OR STEAM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
which game do you like better? Tigris & Euphrates VS Reef Encounter+expansion Or Brass VS Steam(no expansion). I cant find such comparision Threads. Since these two pairs are quite close mechanism or ways of playing. What is your opinion towards these games? I havent played these games yet. However I spent more than 30 hours doing homeworks like read the rules, the reviews, youtube clips. My choices are Reef Encounter and Steam. Simplely because RE got a more complex mechanism and more varities and Steam has a longer histries and forged to be a "perfect" game with hundreds of expansions, though may only be compatible to AOS, but after some houserules, you know...
Would you guys share some opinion and comparision towards these four games and their expansions? Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
you've asked the same question in two forums. You don't have to, as most of us see both.
Quote:
Hi all, I have got a problem here. I am looking for some deep games. Now I am interested in two pairs of games, that is Tigris & Euphrates VS Reef Encounter+expansion; Brass VS Steam(no expansion). I have no idea how do these two games in each pair like each other. Currently I think RE is more complex and may giving more varieties than T&E. I probably will only buy one of the two. However to Brass or Steam, I am not so sure. They come from the same designer. Same tansportation chioses. I wonder if they work in a close way. If so I would pick Steam. I am not very rich, so I try to pick one big apple from one certain type, because I know I wont have time for all of those famous games. So just the most suitable one. Say once I got agricola, I will never buy Le havre or even Caylus. So please tell me if so, should I buy both Brass and Steam? Are they of many diferences? Thanks a lot!
1. Tigris vs Reef. I've played many dozens of both these games. If you believe that these games are similar (as you do - but others will say they are not) and you only want one, then I would go with Reef as it's the more complex game, due in part to the Dominance mechanic. Reef also has slightly less luck, as you have some control over the tiles you pick up.
2. Steam vs Brass. I've only played Steam a couple of times, but Brass a fair bit, so this is harder for me. I really like Brass, and there are a number of different viable strategies, making it quite re-playable. The problem I found with Steam is that it's easy to get left behind if you make a mistake, and it's almost impossible to recover. Whilst the same could be said of Brass, it's not so obvious, nor is it quite so devastating.
Having said that, all 4 of these games are ranked very highly in the charts, so you're unlikely to go wrong whichever you pick. You can also play Tigris, Reef and Brass online at various websites (I don't know about Steam - I haven't looked), so you could try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb

With regards to T&E vs RE. It comes down to Number of Players for me. With two, RE, with three, either, with four, E&T.

I'm going to think out of the box and say AoS on this one. I can't bring myself to like Brass yet, and I have no interest in trying Steam at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
freduk wrote:
Hi,
you've asked the same question in two forums. You don't have to, as most of us see both.
Quote:
Hi all, I have got a problem here. I am looking for some deep games. Now I am interested in two pairs of games, that is Tigris & Euphrates VS Reef Encounter+expansion; Brass VS Steam(no expansion). I have no idea how do these two games in each pair like each other. Currently I think RE is more complex and may giving more varieties than T&E. I probably will only buy one of the two. However to Brass or Steam, I am not so sure. They come from the same designer. Same tansportation chioses. I wonder if they work in a close way. If so I would pick Steam. I am not very rich, so I try to pick one big apple from one certain type, because I know I wont have time for all of those famous games. So just the most suitable one. Say once I got agricola, I will never buy Le havre or even Caylus. So please tell me if so, should I buy both Brass and Steam? Are they of many diferences? Thanks a lot!
1. Tigris vs Reef. I've played many dozens of both these games. If you believe that these games are similar (as you do - but others will say they are not) and you only want one, then I would go with Reef as it's the more complex game, due in part to the Dominance mechanic. Reef also has slightly less luck, as you have some control over the tiles you pick up.
2. Steam vs Brass. I've only played Steam a couple of times, but Brass a fair bit, so this is harder for me. I really like Brass, and there are a number of different viable strategies, making it quite re-playable. The problem I found with Steam is that it's easy to get left behind if you make a mistake, and it's almost impossible to recover. Whilst the same could be said of Brass, it's not so obvious, nor is it quite so devastating.
Having said that, all 4 of these games are ranked very highly in the charts, so you're unlikely to go wrong whichever you pick. You can also play Tigris, Reef and Brass online at various websites (I don't know about Steam - I haven't looked), so you could try before you buy.

I feel sorry fo posting it twice, because after posted it in RECOMMENDATION, I thought it is more suitable here.
Ok I will go RE. I love complexity. It also has expansions with cards. That means varieties to me. I always worried about the varieties while facing Caylus or Steam, since there are no cards or something like that. Only thing matters is the sequence and strategies. Once you play with the same group all the time......
Could you guys talk about The main deferences between Steam and Brass? Say the key game point something like that? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.