Subject: Card draw/play variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From reading the rules and playing a couple of games, the mechanics behind the dark cards feel a bit off to me. I like games where a player uses points to play cards and then other players use those points to play cards against them e.g. Dungeoneer, Lord of the Rings CCG.

It would make more sense to me if the track on the player sheet was used when light and dark cards for that character were played. So you could get the benefit of playing light cards for yourself, but need to be aware that this would allow other players to use dark ones against you. Using your character's light/dark track to make bad things happen to other characters when your character isn’t doing anything directly against them feels a bit strange.

So as a house rule I might try the following:

1) The rules say that moving to ritzy or seedy locations has an effect on a character’s mental state. This makes sense with ritzy locations as you get to draw a light card. However, I’m not really sure why moving to a seedy location allows you to draw a card for another character. So:

Change

"...when a detective enters a seedy location, that detective’s player may draw one dark card from any other player’s dark deck for free, assuming his hand isn’t full."

To

"...when a detective enters a seedy location, the player who has the least dark cards in hand may draw a card from the dark deck of the character that moved, assuming his hand isn’t full. If players are tied then the player who has the least dark cards and is seated closest to the player who moved (clockwise round the table) draws the card."

2) Similarly, when a character is shifted more to the dark end of the scale, I think this should mean that more bad things happen to them, rather than letting them casue bad things to happen to other characters. So:

Change

"...when a player wants to play another detective’s dark card from his hand, he must light shift by the number of spaces shown in the card’s upper left corner."

To

"...when a player wants to play another detective’s dark card from his hand, the detective the card is played on must light shift by the number of spaces shown in the card’s upper left corner."

Additionally, there is now a cost associated with entering glitzy and seedy locations:

If a detective enters a ritzy location, they get to draw a light card but then they also dark-shift two spaces (so there is now a cost associated with getting a light card). Likewise, if a detective enters a seedy location, one of their dark cards is drawn but they light shift two spaces (so there is a bonus associated with the increased threat of dark card play).

I’m not suggesting that these are necessary, or that they would improve the game. Just that to me they feel more right than the rules as they currently stand.

Thanks
Chris

EDIT: Added Bleached Lizard's suggestion of costs to enter ritzy and seedy areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
[I just saw that Chris Davis (Bleached Lizard) includes something like this in his 'Director's Cut' version.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, this variant introduces a problem. Once a player has no light points, if no other player plays dark cards on them, they'll be unable to play light cards for the rest of the game. I don't think this is a good thing.

I like the rules as written because they basically maintain the balance of dark/light cards played by each player. Basically the game is telling players they have to use as many light cards as dark cards, and won't be able to focus in any one type.

I think this comes from the fact that the game is relying on players to be the opposition for the other players. The game needs this in order to work and the dark/light card rules encourage this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Another problem is that it would simply cause detectives to never enter seedy locations - what would be the point?

The way to work around it is to say that if a detective enters a ritzy location, they get to draw a light card but then they also dark-shift two spaces (so there is now a cost associated with getting a light card). Likewise, if a detective enters a seedy location, one of their dark cards is drawn but they light shift two spaces (so there is a bonus associated with the increased threat of dark card play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Another problem is that it would simply cause detectives to never enter seedy locations - what would be the point?

The way to work around it is to say that if a detective enters a ritzy location, they get to draw a light card but then they also dark-shift two spaces (so there is now a cost associated with getting a light card). Likewise, if a detective enters a seedy location, one of their dark cards is drawn but they light shift two spaces (so there is a bonus associated with the increased threat of dark card play).

Hummm, good point. I think I reasoned that players would put the evidence tokens in seedy locations as this would 'lure' other characters in.

But I like the idea of the shift assocaited with the locations. I haven't had a chance to read your Director's Cut rules fully yet. Is this what you have decided on for that?

maka wrote:
To me, this variant introduces a problem. Once a player has no light points, if no other player plays dark cards on them, they'll be unable to play light cards for the rest of the game. I don't think this is a good thing.

I suppose I was thinking that it would still be worth other people playing dark cards because of the effects. But I agree with you, yes.

Thanks both for your thoughts.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The only difference in TDC is that the draws/shifting are the other way around: draw a light card and dark shift for entering a seedy location, draw a dark card and light shift for entering a ritzy location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.