Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose that on a tile (on the ground) there is 2 geese and 1 paper. There are also 2 transporters, one of each player on this tile. Will both players earn a research or only the first in turn order? If the former, can each player decide what research they will do on their own or do they have to share the same? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Hoffmann
Germany
Essenbach
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research
Hi Ken,

only the first player in turn order will be able to do research as the geese and the paper will be spent afterwards. This is one of the (few) ways to screw your opponents - grabbing their paper and geese for your research. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two geese and one paper only produce 1 research, so it would be resolved by order of play / conflict rules. Either player could request the sequence be set at the start of the production phase.

Also don't forget that if two geese and a paper are left on a tile, not being carried by a transporter, both geese and paper are used by the game and disappear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:

Also don't forget that if two geese and a paper are left on a tile, not being carried by a transporter, both geese and paper are used by the game and disappear.

So that means that my example wasn't possible, assuming none of the 2 transporters were carrying the goods?

In other words, you must not just "witness" the research on a tile with one of your transporter, you have to physically carry one of the ingredient, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
jearles wrote:

So that means that my example wasn't possible, assuming none of the 2 transporters were carrying the goods?

In other words, you must not just "witness" the research on a tile with one of your transporter, you have to physically carry one of the ingredient, right?

Well, you never have to "carry" geese, but yeah. essentially that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
jearles wrote:

Not quite. Research is only created during the production phase, so it is possible to have one transporter drop off the paper and then leave. As long as you get a transporter onto the tile by the time the production phase happens you can get the research - but if there was no transporter the research would be produced and "poof".

Metaphysics Research
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thats what I thought

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
fardoche wrote:
jearles wrote:

Well, you never have to "carry" geese, but yeah. essentially that is correct.

Technically correct, but remember that transporters can unload and load goods during the Production phase, so it would be very stupid for the first player not to pick up the paper and produce research before the game decides to produce the research by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HRune wrote:
Hi Ken,
[...] This is one of the (few) ways to screw your opponents - grabbing their paper and geese for your research. devil

Few ways to screw your opponents? Are we playing the same game ?

Let me list a few spontaneously:

1.) Building walls (preferably with somebody else's stones) to cut off
important infrastructure (e.g. around somebody's sawmill).

2.) Building useless buildings (e.g. the stone factory) in spaces your opponent intended to use for some critical infrastructure buildings.

3.) Stealing stuff (Gold, Geese, ...).

4.) Using up the production capacity of a building that someone intended
to use.

5.) Manipulating the game length by building many wonder blocks to screw somebody's long term plans.

and I'm sure I am missing a few ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.