Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: What to play tonight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
So my friend Chris and I are going to the local game store tonight to boardgame with the owner (Wally) and a friend of his (John). I told Wally that we would probably have time for two meatier games and I'd bring one he's played before, and one that he hasn't. The ones he's played before are Goa and Euphrat & Tigris; I'm still trying to decide between the two (and leaning towards E&T, just because I can't get enough of it as of recent).

The new one is a bit more of a challenge; here are some of the candidates:

Ra
Taj Mahal
Way Out West (just got this the other day and I'd like to give it a go sometime soon)
Industria
Dschunke

So what do you think? Which game should I get him hooked on next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I like Industria, but it's unforgiving and there's lots of German text on the bits. Prolly stay away from that one.

Dschunke is prolly what I would go for. Not too hard rules-wise and pretty quick game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chase
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'd go with Ra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ochs
United States
Jackson
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion..
I'd personally go with Taj Mahal. It has been the heavier game that I've had the most luck with new players. It combines hand management with board strategy...the best of both worlds . Especially if any of your friends dig on poker or playing chicken, I would go for Taj.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott and Suzy Krutsch
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hook a game store owner?
I hate to be stupid, but I'm surprised you have to hook a game store owner. They guy who owns our local game store is already into all of this. Is it that your game store doesn't carry the German stuff yet? (It seems like a great idea to hook your game store owner on the kind of stuff you like!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you misread my question, which was: What game should I get him hooked on next? To be fair, until recently (recently being 6 months to a year ago), Wally only played minis (16mm and Warhammer stuff) and not much else. Now (with my influence, I'd like to think) he's into designer games. He said to me the last time we played, "I can't see not playing these any more", which is a great sign (as well as the regular Monday night board game sessions there at the store). And to top it off, he's agreed to set a date to play die Macher (continuing play after he closes up and locks the door). So I'd say he's "hooked".

As for the game session: We played T&E (session report written and approved) which took us to 8 p.m.. He wanted to start closing by 8:45, so luckily I had Web of Power with me, and we played that instead of introducing a new game (I don't think we would've had time for me to explain new rules and play...and I wanted to play something). Session report for Web of Power is there, too.

In short (yeah, right), a nice night of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.