Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I was asked this question and gave my opinion without actually seeing a complete game but now I want to back track and revisit the question.

As it says in the rules zombies will only enter a rough or building hex if there is a survivor in it. This rule is in place to reflect the difficulties that zombies would have negotiating buildings and rough terrain. This allows for the survivors to give zombies the slip.

I originally said they could move into a hex in route to a survivor but after seeing the complete game I understand the reasoning of why the rule is written.

Hope this makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you simply reiterating what is already in the rules, i.e., zombies may not enter a rough terrain/building hex on their way to a survivor? Zombies have to move around the rough terrain/building hex, chosing the route expending the fewest movement points? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Yes. the game has generated many threads and I know it was addressed on one them awhile ago but not sure which one.

When asked previously I gave a different reply. Now that I have access to the complete game I wanted to clarify and correct the previous response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems. - HS
mbmbmbmbmb

I am a little confused by the rule regarding zombies moving into rough terrain. The way I read the rules is that zombies can enter rough terrain if a survivor has ended their movement in the rough terrain - the zombie can attempt to get the survivor hiding in the woods. If there is rough terrain between the survivor and zombie (the survivor is in a clear hex on the other side of the rough terrain), the zombie must go around it. Is this correct?

Another potential way to read the rule would be that the zombie would only enter the rough terrain if they have enough movement points to actual reach the survivor ("Zombies will ONLY enter rough terrain to melee a survivor.."). If this is the correct interpretation of the rules, that would mean that the zombie would not enter rough terrain to chase a survivor unless they were close enough to get to the survivor during its movement.

For example, the survivor ends movement in a clump of multiple wooded hexes. Let's say that a zombie, with a movement value of 4, is 1 clear hex and 2 wooded hexes away from the survivor. Can the zombie move the one clear hex and enter the rough terrain, ending its movement in the adjacent hex to the survivor this turn (it uses 3 of its available movement points, but cannot move further since it doesn't have 2 more MP)? Or because it can't actual reach the survivor during its movement does it need to skirt the edge of the woods?

In the same example, if the zombie had a movement of 5, could it cross the clear hex and 2 rough terrain hexes to melee the survivor? Or because it would have to cross an empty rough terrain hex before entering the subsequent rough terrain hex with the survivor, does it need to look for a way around the woods?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Quote:
I am a little confused by the rule regarding zombies moving into rough terrain. The way I read the rules is that zombies can enter rough terrain if a survivor has ended their movement in the rough terrain - the zombie can attempt to get the survivor hiding in the woods. If there is rough terrain between the survivor and zombie (the survivor is in a clear hex on the other side of the rough terrain), the zombie must go around it. Is this correct?

Yes. This is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer, approved by Mark Walker:

Zombies will not enter a building or a rough hex that does not contain a survivor. Instead, they will go around. Zombies will enter any building (not just building hex), or any rough hex that contains a survivor. Once in a building or rough hex, they will continue to move through the building or adjacent rough hexes to get to the targeted survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.