Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug recently got Formula D. This came on the heals of a game of Formula De at the previous game night. I think Doug was enticed by the cool gear boards that replaced the previous method of pencil and paper record-keeping.

Both Doug and David are very experienced De players, having run multiple "seasons" prior to my joining the group. I've had my share of De sessions in the past and do have Formula De myself, so I'm no stranger to the game. Doug has all but 2 of the orignal Formula De maps.

So, though it was late in the evening, and nearing our finish time, Doug was excited to get Formula D to the table. We decided that a single lap, single car per player (we usually run 2 cars each) would be quick enough. We decided to use the "street" racing night track complete with police station, debris field, and shooting gallery!

We picked our drivers, set up our gear boards, and off we went!

I think the only new mechanic we had to deal with from previous games of De was the NOS, and the few random new spaces on the board (the aforementioned debris field, shooting gallery, and police station).

Doug took the early lead, making it into pretty much every turn on every roll. He had to eat up a gear box or 2 to downshift and keep in the turns, but had plenty of car to do it. David and I both got cheated out of a the same turn in 4th gear, needing an 8 to get in and rolling a 7, and as David had rolled a bad start, he was already lagging behind. We both hit the straight away into the shooting gallery, David just slightly ahead of me. His NOS wouldn't put him into the turn after, and he didn't want to risk the gallery, so he kept it in 4th. I had the special NOS ability driver so decided to power through the shooting gallery in 5th. With the NOS boost I made it into the turn! Doug had already been through this section and I think was in the police station turn when I made it into the shooting gallery turn. I had to eat a gear and work my way back up towards the police station, and I missed it by 1! I had to stay in the low gear as I went through the turn. David followed the next turn and did the SAME thing! Coming into the last 2 turns I was hoping to catch Doug. I had it set up perfectly to hit that last stretch towards the last turn in 6th gear! I had enough car left that only a 30 would take me out. Unfortunately Doug had already crossed the finish line as I readied to roll the 6th gear... 30!!! I made it through the turn, ate up all of my brakes, slid out of the turn by 3 and then crashed! Allowing David to take his time and get 2nd place.

I personally don't like the game with only 3 cars on the track. It is too easy for one car to take the lead and keep it. The cars are too spread out and don't interfere with each other. In the future, I would like to play with more cars. Granted, this time was just due to time constraints, so I don't think it will be the norm. I can see the single lappers becoming the norm though, as the last time we played 2 laps, the last lap really dragged on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time you might have each person run 2 or even 3 cars...carnage, er, challenge galore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
I (being another Doug ) also recently bought this game last weekend in Calgary. It has become a favorite of my sons. We haven't moved into the advanced rules yet as the family is still getting everything sorted out but it is a huge hit here. My son gets his sister and his friends to play whenever he can and always asks me to play when I get home from work. Great fun. It was this or PitchCar when I bought it and I think I made the right call. I'll probably pick up Pitchcar eventually but I'm already eyeing up Formula D expansions!

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.