BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: 3D Die rolling app rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Straitt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hello! I recently kindof completed a 3D dice roller using the Blender3D game engine. I got burned out on the project, and wound up cutting some corners with textures and a few other areas just to make sure it all functioned before I took a break. It's got a few bugs, the textures have almost no shading, and the sounds are horrible...but it can roll dice! The basic idea behind it was to make dice in 3D, but instead of cutting into the shape for pips and numbers, use textures. This way, when the physics engine handles collisions, the dice are perfectly balanced at their centers. Here's a link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tddnoyztnvm/dice.rar
It's a 50MB RAR file. After unpacking you should be able to run it by clicking on "diceapp.exe." I'm not sure if you need python to run it, or if it will work with the DLLs I supplied, but if you get an error it's probably not finding python.

Now I will try to put some screenshots on here, which I always have bad luck with:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/J2Jh6hKNkzAYEqKyNNXGdA?...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZTQOJtH6s6_I7t5ysIVnQA?...

Yeah, I can't get thumbnails to embed in the post, so the links will have to do. Anyway, if you decide to download the app, I hope it works, and you get at least 2 minutes of enjoyment out of it. It's really a work in progress, when I get back to it. For now, if you know anything about Blender, feel free to do what you want with it. (If you make it better, send me a link!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work! It worked fine for me without Python. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Straitt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I forgot to mention, though this isn't a game in itself, during testing it was used for a game of Heroscape. We had the laptop on a side table, and we were using a wireless mouse to control. It did what it was designed to do.

Oh, and before anybody asks why it doesn't add up totals in a little window or something like that...my focus was to replace real die rolling with a perfectly balanced simulation. If I have to count totals myself on real dice, that's what I was shooting for with this.

Also, thanks to some screenshots a buddy sent me, I know there's some morbid need to see just how many dice you can get on screen at once. whistle I'm just going to drop the warning that on my laptop I get about 50 dice out there before my frame rates drop to unbearable levels. Happy rolling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowcrunch wrote:
I know there's some morbid need to see just how many dice you can get on screen at once. whistle I'm just going to drop the warning that on my laptop I get about 50 dice out there before my frame rates drop to unbearable levels. Happy rolling!

No problem with that as my ancient P3/1000 can display 50+ dice on screen without any significant frame rate hits.

Now it would be a good idea if we could roll d6 together with other types of dice e.x. d10 in the dice tray, instead of having to use the RPG dice and roll behind a screen.

Very good app!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Straitt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You're not the first to mention the lack of a board or box just for rolling anything you wanted. It's less an oversight, and more from my lack of experience. Basically I installed blender, did some modeling tutorials, found the game engine, found some tutorials for scripting, and four months later I had the dice app. Originally it was supposed to be set up with a box for typing in "2d6" or "3d10" or whatever you wanted, but I still haven't figured out the python code to make that happen. And I didn't want to put a button in there for each combination for obvious reasons.

During testing I was asked the part about having it total the results, and I was also asked if I could make it split screen or with the ability to toggle to a different player's view on the same PC. All three items are still on my to-do list, after I take a break. That was a lot of learning to cram into four months (for me anyway)! I have to say though, all the positive feedback is motivating me to get back at it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribing to this thread, waiting to see what else comes of this application. Having a tablet PC, I want to see what all I can do with this, and how it can help make it so my cats can't interfere with my boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Straitt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Okay, I'm taking heavy interest again, and I'm open to ideas. Based on what Geo said, I was thinking of a VERY slimmed down version. One board/tray with buttons for 1-10 dice and buttons for d4-d20...maybe a button for changing dice color if I can ever get an answer on the python involved with that (read too many posts saying the blender game engine can't do that, but we'll see). I've been trying to learn the code to enable typing "2d6," "3d12," or whatever you want, but would that really be easier? Like I said, we used it for gaming with the laptop out of reach, and just had a wireless mouse on the table with us.

I know one buddy asked me about networking 2 players rolling against each other. That wasn't the intent of this, but if there's enough call for it, that's something I can try. Working with another guy right now on an attempt for an online multiplayer CCG, so we're delving deeper into the python, and I have a bit of the "how-tos" figured out in blender.

So, basically I'm asking what you want in a 3D physics dice rolling application. Lemme know and I'll try to pop in here to update progress more often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowcrunch wrote:

So, basically I'm asking what you want in a 3D physics dice rolling application. Lemme know and I'll try to pop in here to update progress more often!

If you happen to have access, check out a couple of apps on the iPhone. Mach Dice and Dicenomicon.

Mach Dice is mostly just straight forward, brute force dice rolling, for the most part. It'll give you total or a count of results (2 1's, 4 4's, 3 6's). It'll do simple bonuses, like 3d8+4, but is really quick about it.

Dicenomicon is a script maker's wet dream. You can set up conditions, drop dice, add dice, automatically do another roll, and almost anything else you want. It even has a built in script for D&D characters: 6 x (4d6-L) which rolls 6 sets of 4d6, dropping the lowest of each set.

I would likely use this during Arkham Horror, so having a quick input for number of dice and a quick count of values would be nice. Better would be being able to have it automatically know that 5's and 6's are successes unless I tell it otherwise.

Mostly pipe dreams, but just ideas to get your brain gears going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.