Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple months ago, I rented a copy of The Adventurers from our local game shop because it just looked like a fantastic game. They spoke highly of it, the art style was very attractive, and it sounded like a good time for the family.

But the excitement of playing it wore off quickly when I opened the box, flipped through the rule book, and pulled out the minis. To my great disappointment, it stopped looking like a fun family game to play with our kids as soon as I saw the scantily clad female figurines. I just couldn't imagine putting a busty female figurine that's falling out of her shirt in my daughter's (or son's) hands to play a game with.

So I packed it back up, set it aside and pulled out another game to play. And we had a great time that night playing something else.

One of the reasons we love playing board games as a family is because it takes us away from all the other media messages that glamorize scantily clad women. So why throw it in a game that would be great for some family fun?

Based on the ratings on BGG I'm sure it has great play mechanics and makes for a fun time. But I just don't see why creating the female minis in this fashion is necessary. I don't see how any part of the structure of this game necessitates that attire. Or is it simply to go along with the Laura Croft stereotype (which we get enough of everywhere else we turn)?

So I've got a simple question:
Can we get some modest Adventurers minis please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Indiana Jones Legos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hasenstab
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just not use those? There's plenty of other characters to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwhyne wrote:
Why not just not use those? There's plenty of other characters to use.

That's what we do. But I think TheBoardGameFamily needs to use up all the figures if everyone in their house plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a serious question, or an opportunity to vent? Given the cost of creating figure molds, I think the chances of the publisher providing different ones post-publication are slim at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G A
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is silly. The scantily clad tiny plastic minis are going to corrupt your children? Give me a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is entitled to his opinion, you have yours. Personally I let my 7 yr old play the game. He didn't look very close at the minis. Had he mentioned something about them I would change my mind. Having values and not wanting those values to be undermined is not a light matter for parents. Even if you have kids being sarcastic to someone who wants to have a certain level of respect for women is not cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't expect them to create any new minis for the existing game. But my 2 cents on the next one (assuming they'll make more related games).

And I like the Legos idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pulp adventure game, set inside the bowels of a temple located deep in a steaming jungle. What do you propose the females should actually be wearing - cardigans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your shop rents games? Cool beans.

If you ever buy the Adventurers and want to sell the minis, please let me know, I could use them to up the production value on a few of my older exploration type games.

As for replacements, the legos idea is a good one. If you can find people selling parts from the Indiana Jones DVD game, then you can get male and female adventurers (look on Ebay). There are also pulp adventure types in Fireball Island, which I'd recommend highly for a game with much of the same flavor. There might be some nice PnP cardboard figure types available too but I haven't looked for any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not big on push you luck games because the decision points often feel very one-dimensional. But Adventurers is a great game in this genre because it offers a variety of tactical decisions and that's a lot of the fun.

But I too found the minis off-putting for playing with my children, especially the painted ones which exagerate the sexualization of the women and the grossness of the men - my 6 year old noticed it right away too asking me why the women didn;t have big enough shirts to cover them and why one woman didn;t have pants or a dress and asked me if they were homeless people who needed new clothes... He also asked why the men were so ugly... I was relieved however that the men characters' privates were not apparent...

Seriously, this is a kid's game and I don;t see the purpose of the female characters falling out of their shirts and such.

I think the solution for us is to hunt up a copy of the terrible game Dragonology from Borders or somewhere so we can substitute the minis in this game. Then he'll even have some dragons to play with as well as the new happier looking minis for playing Adventurers.

The teenagers and grown up's can fantasize all they want then and play with the supplied minis when not with the kids...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could also take some white paint and paint a T-shirt on the open shirted figure.

The native princess...well, she is in appropriate garb for her culture, I suppose. One could also look at painting some sort of garments on her as well, I think. I am not a particularly good painter.

Now, soldering with a 4X binocular microscope...that, I'm pretty good at.robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a serious issue, especially if you play games with your kids. Since mine want nothing to do with me and my games, I don't consider it a big problem, but if I were to play this with the wife she'd have the exact same observations/complaints.

Edit: Is it wrong that I wish my wife would wear what the Aztec is wearing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and kids of 10 and 6 did not feel that there is any problem with the figures. The problem is with you, my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Edit: Is it wrong that I wish my wife would wear what the Aztec is wearing?

I don't think so. I use the Bible as my moral compass in life, and from what I read it's way cool to be into your wife and think she is hot.

Hebrews 13:4a says the marriage bed is "undefiled"...which has been interpretted to mean that what ever the two of you do between yourselves is cool, no matter how hot it gets.

You have to remember, the whole male/female thing was God's idea. In Genesis we read how the first thing that God ever said was "not good" was that man should be alone. The first commandment that God ever gave was to "be fruitfull and multiply". And God said that it was "very good" when he finished making this whole marriage thing. He blessed it and said that the "two shall become one flesh"...so, yep, it's good to think about your wife that way.

I've been very happily married for 18 years now, and have 3 above average children.

I agree with God...it's "very good"!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildger wrote:
My wife and kids of 10 and 6 did not feel that there is any problem with the figures. The problem is with you, my friend.

I don't think he has a problem and your post was less than charitable. This all has to do with cultural norms as they relate to modesty.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but this game was designed in France. From what I know of French culture (which I admit is little), I believe that they are a bit less modest than many Americans, especially rural Americans. I think that the figure sculpts reflect that cultural difference.

Different time periods, regions, and cultures have different normative values for modesty. Even in our own country, there are huge differences between cosmopolitan dwellers and say...the Amish. Is one right and another wrong? I don't think so.

The key is to be modest within your own cultural norms, so long as those norms do not conflict with your religious convictions (at least for me). For example, Greek Christians from the first century wore full length gowns that covered their ankles. Today, many Christian women wear "modest" dresses that are below the knee, but most definitely show ankle. Does that make ancient Greek Christian women prudes and contemporary American Christian women immodest? I don't think so.

When I was in elementary school, a guy with an earing would have been considerd a homosexual. In the 18th century seafaring towns, it wouldn't have been given a second glance...much as today, not much thought is given to seeing men with an earing. The Yali tribe of pygmey cannibals that live in lowland and highland Papua wear a "skirt" that is supported by a koteka, a "p---s tube" made of wood and not much else. They are completely modest within their context. Remove the wooden tube, and they are mortified. Their women go around topless and have a little short skirt made of grass. Within their context, they are completely modest, yet how would a contemporary Western or more specifically, US courtroom react to their modest garb?

It is very much a cultural thing. Modesty is the moral and virtue. How that is expressed is quite variable and very culturally dependent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Side note...I sure am glad I am not a member of the Yali tribe. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to drive wearing a koteka? Or how about walking through a revolving door!

Ok, cultural bias here...but man, that's just not right to put a 3 foot long wooden tube on your...um...personality.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It never bothered my 5 and 8 year old. Kids don't usually see this as sordid unless someone makes it seem so to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
It never bothered my 5 and 8 year old. Kids don't usually see this as sordid unless someone makes it seem so to them.

Your 5 and 8 year olds wear codpieces?!?surprise

Ok, I'll tell my kids to try to not stare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for standing up for your opinions and beliefs. I'm sorry others would be critical of you for having ideas different then their own.

I have your same views on this issue. I too was quite excited by this game and after seeing the depictions of the female characters (cover, pics of minis online) I quickly lost interest. I haven't seen a copy of the game itself, just the box and images online.

Is using a different mini (ie LEGO) all you need to do to alleviate the issue of women's dress for those of us who personally hold that opinion? Or are there other parts of the game (ie character cards etc) that have the same dress depictions?

I'm not asking for an argument on the moral issue, I've go my own opinion on that already, I just want to know if I can make the changes necessary for me and my family to enjoy this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The judicious application of tape, paint, or sharpie could mitigate most if not all objections.

Also, the backs of the player cards load level and action tracks could be printed on other pieces of paper as can the icons for the character skills.

The game mechanics are a blast. Creativity can mitigate the perceived objections without much difficulty.

I have significantly modified my basic game, adding actual jade treasures and a golden Pirates of the Caribbean final treasure coin...snakes, a panther, jungle vines (from fish tank decorations).

Your imagination is the limit. Have fun and be creative and remember...under our clothes, we are all stark naked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
This is a pulp adventure game, set inside the bowels of a temple located deep in a steaming jungle. What do you propose the females should actually be wearing - cardigans?

I don't know what version of Indiana Jones you own. Must be a director's cut or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupiter Jones
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same reaction when we rented it. It's unfortunate, for it could have been a great family game, but not with those outfits (or lack thereof).

Sad to hear that there are kids under 10 out there who are so desensitized to this that they WOULDN'T NOTICE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William W
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
While revealing, the outfits show nothing more than a swimsuit would. Though I realize the context of the game attire is different, I find it hard to believe that those of you with concerns about the card and figure art don't take your children to the pool or beach.

The human body is not something to be villianized or forbidden. I think that it could lead to a good family discussion about why some people may wear different things, or be more revealing.

My next comment may seem little inflammatory, but it's not meant that way. When issues like this arise, they generally are due to religious values. I would ask, if a child is not old enough to be educated about the human body, how are they old enough to choose or be educated about faith?

I would encourage those with concerns to seek opportunity instead of shelter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theswally wrote:
Sad to hear that there are kids under 10 out there who are so desensitized to this that they WOULDN'T NOTICE.

Only sad if your world view is right in some non-subjective way. There are people who would think it a very positive thing if children weren't conditioned to be hyper-sensitive about seeing a woman's breasts.

Did the women in Hawaii and Tahiti truly benefit when Christian missionaries taught them that they must cover themselves? Or was the mode of dress that had served them for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years, perfectly reasonable for people living in such a friendly climate?

I understand that you want to raise your children a certain way, and respect your right to do so. But I dislike your judgemental statement that other world views are "sad". Those who want to be respected should be respectful of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.