Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I know that I've posted a couple of recc. threads the past couple of days. I've got some GC goodness for coolstuffinc.com burning a whole in my proverbial pocket, and I've been gearing up for a big order! Here's what I'm considering:

Cyclades - $39.99 - I wish there were some video reviews of the components or the gameplay, but I think I'm going to have to go with my gut on this one. The artwork looks awesome, the components look good, and the theme is great! I know that a lot of the photos in the gallary are from the Essen release which didn't have the plastic pieces, but I wish it was more clear what the plastic pieces were! If there were a photo of the official release "unboxed" it might help. If there isn't one by the time I get my copy, then I'll try to post one!

Unnamed Object - $15.99 - We've gone to a camp where they played a game apparently very similar to Incan Gold. I'm mainly getting this one because I think my wife will like it (you know... with the gems and all)

Infinite City - $22.99 - I'm so set in my ways on a tile-laying game... Carcassonne has me seeing things in one way and one way only. I've heard good things about this one, so I'm willing to take the risk! (Other thought instead of this one was Skyline 3000, but the look of it reminded me a lot of Metropolys, which I already have.)

Small World - $34.99 - This seems like a no-brainer, and I'm kind of surprised I haven't gotten this before now. It gets made out to be borderline wargame, and that turned me off for a bit, but I read some reviews, watched a couple of videos, and now I'm on-board!

Thunderstone - $25.99 - I like Dominion... I don't have it but a friend does, so I don't need it. This seems like the next logical step.

I probably won't order until Monday or Tuesday, so if you come up with anything to sway me, I may just have to change my mind. (FYI, the current lineup would blow my GC and have me spending an extra $25... so if you are going to reccommend something instead of what I'm ordering, consider that.)

Thanks for any thoughts you may have about it!

Considerable thought was also given to:
Ad Astra - $39.99 - I've heard good things. We like Settlers, so it may be good.

Blue Moon City - $25.99 - This would also be a contender with Infinite City for a tile-laying game.

Chaos in the Old World - $38.99 - Looks great, but I think the theme would keep it from seeing much play.

Colonia - $42.99 - Also looks good, but I'm just not sure about another "goods" type of game, plus I'm ordering Agricola for a friend in the same order. I know they aren't that similar, but still... goods production right?

Dungeon Lords - $35.99 - I would love this game - or maybe I'm hyping it up in my mind too much... either way it would never see the table at home, and it would maybe see the table once at game night. I'll scratch this itch with Thunderstone instead.

Power Grid - $28.99 - Always wanted it, and it has a great rating and reviews... just not ready to pull the trigger on this one yet.

Race for the Galaxy - $22.99 - Well, we like Puerto Rico, and I've heard that this is similar... but I've got 2 card games on the list already, so maybe this one will wait until the next order.

Snow Tails - $31.99 - This has looked interesting since I first saw it in the Essen coverage. I like the idea, just worried that its too similar to Formula De (or D), and we've pretty much got the "race" genre covered by that. (I know the mechanic for Snow Tails, and that it really isn't like F.D., but the type of board and the squares for movement, etc... are all remeniscent of it.) It was off my list completely, but I watched a review on it and back on it went!

The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac - $32.99 - I'm not sure why this isn't in the order. When I first started researching, this was right up there at the top of the list. For some reason the other games up there just are more appealing right now. I might trade out Infinite City for this, but that would bump my order another $10... I guess I could drop Incan Gold as well soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, the more you spend with Coolstuff, the higher your future discounts will be!

Personally, I'd go more with Blue Moon City than with Infinite City. My group seems to prefer it, though I haven't played IC yet. BMC is a favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City is not a tile laying game.

Dungeon Lords is similar to Agricola and nothing at all like Thunderstone.

I would pass on Incan Gold and get Race for the Galaxy instead. You will get much more mileage out of RFTG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I love love love Race for the Galaxy, but Incan Gold fills a pretty unique niche: plays up to 8 well, can be taught in 5 minutes, and plays in 15. I'd definitely recommend Race for the Galaxy, but Incan Gold is emphatically not the game I'd throw overboard for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Macabee wrote:
Remember, the more you spend with Coolstuff, the higher your future discounts will be!

How's that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indiexxx wrote:
Blue Moon City is not a tile laying game.

Dungeon Lords is similar to Agricola and nothing at all like Thunderstone.

Sorry, I mistook the modular aspect of the board...

Also, the comparison I was making between Dungeon Lords and Thunderstone was the theme - fantasy, dungeons, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Macabee wrote:

How's that work?

Pretty nicely actually. I'm up to 2%! (6% if I was buying single cards or minis!) Essentially they have record of how much you've spent with them, and a tiered discount level based on that number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just throwing in my 2 cents on your future consideration of Snow Tails. We have both Formula D and Snow Tails and feel that there is room in our collection for both as they seem to have a different "feel" -- at least for us. Formula D feels more like a "pedal to the metal" game that's most fun when you're taking risks in higher gears hoping you can make it around the track before your car falls apart from under you. The fact that it can support a lot of players (and is probably better with more players) is a plus. Snow tails, on the other hand, has more of an elegant feel -- it seems more like a finesse racing game where you pay a bit more attention to the steering and obstacles and don't necessarily just try to fly around the track as fast as possible. I also really like the modular track and the trees that can be added.
YMMV, but that's how the two have worked out for us. Of the two, I prefer Snow Tails, but they're both good games.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with whatever you order -- happy gaming!

(edited for spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to comment on the four that I've played.

Incan Gold - I couldn't wait to get my hands on this game. I like the push your luck mechanic, but I didn't end up liking this game. I felt like I couldn't get into the game flow of the game because I was always too busy messing with cards or counting out the gems. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I wanted this to be a fast paced game and it was just too fiddly for my tastes.

I've got this one and San Juan. I like them both, but I've played San Juan more than RftG, simply because I'm not brave enough to try teaching RftG to anyone yet. I've played the solitaire version of RftG a few times (requires 1st expansion) and I can see how the game has potential to be loads of fun. I guess that is why I haven't gotten rid of it yet, even though I've never played it with a group. Another thing that keeps me from getting rid of it (I like to get rid of games that I don't ever play) is the fact that a lot of people on the Geek really love this game. I feel like there is an experience there that I need to appreciate and will probably highly enjoy. So it's a keeper for now.

Thunderstone - I've never played Dominion, but had a copy of Arctic Scavengers that I'd played once. I liked, Arctic Scavengers, but thought I'd like the theme of Thunderstone a little better so I traded my game for a copy of Thunderstone. I've played Thunderstone solo about 3 times now and I'm not sure what to think of it. Oddly enough I think it has a great dungeon crawl feel to it. I think it is sort of a pain in the arse to sort through all of those cards but I guess I'll appreciate the variety the more I play the game... if I keep it. I may get rid of it and get Arctic Scavengers back when Rio Grande releases it. Another thing that bugged me about this game was the setting. I'm not used to the setting of the game (the particular monsters and names of the heroes and items) and that makes it a little harder for me to get into. If this was a World of Warcraft theme with identical mechanics I'd be playing it all the time.

Chaos in the Old World - I don't own this but finally got a chance to play it at game night a couple of days ago. I was really really impressed. I guess I'm a big fan of area control games and didn't realize it. I think this is possibly the best game I've ever played... I liked it that much. Like you, I'm not sure how often that I'll get this game played, but I'm going to get a copy anyways, just in case I get the chance. Awesome game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of the games you have on your 'consider' list I find personally much better than the ones on your buy list.

Ad Astra: Very interesting mechanics on role choosing and timing. Lots of double think on what other players are doing. Not unsurprisingly like Citadels (since it is the same designer). (The double think part is like citadels, the game itself is very different).

Chaos in the old World: Fabulous game. IMNHO so much better a wargame than Small world. Small world got very boring very quickly for me.

Power Grid: A classic for me. I couldn't imagine not owning it. Great for playing with people who don't play a lot of games, and for large groups.

Thunderstone: No idea, I haven't tried it, I've also read really good things about Warhammer Invasion which might be similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
A few thoughts, for what they're worth, although you know what you like and have obviously done your research.

Consider thinking of games not so much as a tile-laying game or a card game, but ask rather would I like to play it?

Infinite City isn't rated so high, I'm not sure I understand your reasons for wanting it. I'm sure you have your reasons. I haven't played IC but I have played Blue Moon City, and I would recommend that.

Race for the Galaxy - sure it's a card game, but it plays more like a board game. It's a great game and I recommend it to you. Be prepared to get over the initial hump of the learning curve.

I hope you enjoy whatever you get. You've done so much research that I think what you get will be good. It's always best to try games before you buy, though. I have a lot of games that I don't play much because I got them without trying them first (not always easy to do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
out4blood wrote:
Macabee wrote:

How's that work?

Pretty nicely actually. I'm up to 2%! (6% if I was buying single cards or minis!) Essentially they have record of how much you've spent with them, and a tiered discount level based on that number.

I'm ... uhhhh ... up to 5%. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is a game that I'm ashamed it took me 3 years (from finding BGG) to own. Save yourself the shame and pick it up now - there's a reason it's as highly rated as it is, and even my non-gamer wife loves it . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG: I really liked this game at first. The learning hump wasn't too bad, and I didn't have too much of a problem learning the icons. I liked the basic gameplay quite a bit, though I found it too random (luck based). I started hating it with any more than solo or at most 2-players. I found it too much work to track the other players actions while managing my own hand/tableau. I liked the role-selection/drafting on other players aspect, but not enough to want to play it. I had the first two expansions, and while they added things that I liked, they didn't make up for my main problem (work to fun ratio). I ended up selling it to a friend.

Blue Moon City is a much lighter game, but still with deep strategy. It is a faster game, and can generally be played twice in the time of one RftG game. The only tile laying is building the board in the beginning of the game. The gameplay is worker placement. I can't recommend it enough, and it works for gamers and n00bs alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Power Grid is a game that I'm ashamed it took me 3 years (from finding BGG) to own. Save yourself the shame and pick it up now - there's a reason it's as highly rated as it is, and even my non-gamer wife loves it . . .

This is my all-time favorite game. I love many others, but PG just flat out does it for me. I especially love the new Power Plant deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indiexxx wrote:

I would pass on Incan Gold and get Race for the Galaxy instead. You will get much more mileage out of RFTG.

I agree, but keep in mind they are on opposite sides of the complexity spectrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubsfan31 wrote:
Just throwing in my 2 cents on your future consideration of Snow Tails. We have both Formula D and Snow Tails and feel that there is room in our collection for both as they seem to have a different "feel" -- at least for us. Formula D feels more like a "pedal to the medal" game that's most fun when you're taking risks in higher gears hoping you can make it around the track before your car falls apart from under you. The fact that it can support a lot of players (and is probably better with more players) is a plus. Snow tails, on the other hand, has more of an elegant feel -- it seems more like a finesse racing game where you pay a bit more attention to the steering and obstacles and don't necessarily just try to fly around the track as fast as possible. I also really like the modular track and the trees that can be added.
YMMV, but that's how the two have worked out for us. Of the two, I prefer Snow Tails, but they're both good games.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with whatever you order -- happy gaming!

+1

I was going to comment, but I noticed she already covered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macabee wrote:

This is my all-time favorite game.

You don't say

[/admiring animated avatar]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have some pretty good games there. My recommendation (in order) is as follows:

1. Cyclades. I just got this the other day and have played three times. This game is fantastic! The components are very good especially the plastic pieces. Love the theme and lots of player interaction. Great mix between Euro and AT.

2. Blue Moon City. I really like this one also because of the "puzzle factor" in the card mechanism. Theme is pretty cool, too.

3. Thunderstone. I like this game because of the theme. Not much interaction with players but fills the deck development itch.

Good luck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
Ok, I know that I've posted a couple of recc. threads the past couple of days. I've got some GC goodness for coolstuffinc.com burning a whole in my proverbial pocket, and I've been gearing up for a big order! Here's what I'm considering:

If you want a big order then put both lists together! I know you said you are reaching a cash limit already but still, if you are gonna make the wife mad why not make her mad all at once by buying them all in one order instead of several times spread out over a week with the follow up "i just have to have these too" orders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the suggestions. You've instilled enough unease in me to re-think some of my choices. For sure I'm going to get Cyclades... but everything else is up in the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've appended my original list, taking into consideration your suggestions, and some of the things I had been thinking before flooding my brain with all of this research! (You know, making an informed decision is great, but there's something to be said of making the unplanned blind buy at the FLGS once in a while. I wouldn't have ever played Metropolys or Taluva if I hadn't bought them blind!

So here's what I'm getting... still a few days out from the actuall order, so feel free to try and sway me some more!

Cyclades - Cyclades just looks and sounds awesome! I wonder if they have had this on the "back-burner" just waiting for Clash of the Titans to be released in theaters? God of War III just released too... coincidence? Hmmmm...
Power Grid - Now out of this and Power Grid: Factory Manager, I assume Power Grid is the better game. I know they aren't anything alike really, so I'm just wondering if Factory Manager should even enter my thought process?
Small World - Still wondering why I haven't picked this up yet... time to remedy that. Hey, would anyone say that there are similarities between Small World and Evo? I just get that kind of feeling from it... look at that, a little more research and they are from the same designer. Very interesting...
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac - I had heard a review on The Spiel podcast about The Adventurers and it was at the top of my list prior to starting my research... It somehow worked its way out of there, but now it's back in!

Thunderstone, Infinite City, Blue Moon City, and Race for the Galaxy were all in the running, but they were the games that I was fluctuating on the most. I dropped them from consideration when I decided to go with The Adventurers and Power Grid. Unnamed Object got dropped due to pricing because of the addition of Power Grid. Power Grid and The Adventurers are going to come in at about $8 cheaper than Incan Gold, Infinite City (or RftG, or BMC) and Thunderstone. I still want Thunderstone, but we just got Dominion in our group, and haven't actually gotten it to the table yet. Maybe when it sees some play and we start to get bored of it. (We've played it previously with another guy that doesn't live anywhere near us.)

Note to self: Next time Cyclades is in stock... ORDER IT RIGHT AWAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
I own both Powergrid and Powergrid: Factory Manager.
Powergrid is a great game, enjoyed by all I've played it with. Factory Manager is not bad, but very similar in my groups opinion, to Puerto Rico, just alot faster. I like it, but I think I would have gotten something else instead if I had my time back.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.