FAB: The Bulge» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overstacking - when is it observed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Just to confirm: is overstacking observed at the end of player's movement phase? Does it imply that I can have, for example, as many units as four, provided I relocate two of them by the end of my movement phase? Can I third unit through area in which there are two other units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all. Stacking is observed/enforced at the end of movement phases -- not during them.

(edit) And as per rule 5.1 quoted below, overstacking is also resolved as it occurs as the result of combat results as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Thanks for the reply!

Here is another one. What if...

Say, armor unit makes a long raid which is to end at area in which there enemy unit. For this last move armor has two MP reserved so that one would be spent on moving through the river, the other for entering area occupied by enemy units.

But alas, opponent blows up the bridge, armor can't - or isn't willing to - perform river assault. According to rulebook, denying the option to enter that area, costs the armor 1 MP. 1 MP is all that is left.

If armor now can't leave that area for it had to pay at least 2 MP and prior to its movement that already were two units, how do we deal with overstacking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 5.1: Stacking limits are enforced at the end of each Phase and throughout each Combat Phase by retreating (6.6) any units in excess at those times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
harzal wrote:
Rule 5.1: Stacking limits are enforced at the end of each Phase and throughout each Combat Phase by retreating (6.6) any units in excess at those times.

How is word 'enforced' interpreted in terms of overstacking which can't be handled due to lack of MP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:

If armor now can't leave that area for it had to pay at least 2 MP and prior to its movement that already were two units, how do we deal with overstacking?

As per rule 6.6, the armor unit must retreat again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
How is word 'enforced' interpreted in terms of overstacking which can't be handled due to lack of MP?

There's only one possible interpretation: At the end of each phase (not only movement phases) you check overstacking and then units in excess must retreat as per rule 6.6.

In the case of combat, you check overstacking every time one of your units has to retreat. If such retreating unit causes overstacking, then it needs to perform an additional retreat (again, as per rule 6.6).

Btw, do not forget the addition to rule 5.1 that clearly states no unit may voluntarily end its move overstacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Thanks a lot, now it's clear. I somehow misinterpreted ruling of 5.1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.