Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.......come down to a final DR ?

I played a great scenario this past week and it came down to a melee combat in the second story of a wooden building that I had to take , I declared H2H and needed a 7 to eliminate the squad, and my opponent needed a 7 also, so we BOTH rolled exactly 7s and ended up with casualty reducing each other, so he had a HS upstairs and denied me the control of the location, gah!

In the end however it turns out it didnt matter , because in the setup he had 2 HIP half squads I found 1 and the other one was in the cellar location of the SAME hex as the massive assault!

Its amazing that the scenarios seem to end up this way a lot, I dont know if its great design, or the fact that as a player I go " Holy cr4p! I have 2 turns to take 14 victory locations!" so I go hell bent for leather......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I've had at least one game where building control to win came down to whether or not a PBF shot would break the enemy forcing him to rout. But I don't look at it as the entire game coming down to a single DR, because that DR only occurred due to good play on my opponent's part just getting to that position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't claim to remember any of the details, but it has happened to me and my ASL buddy multiple times. Or at least really close to one DR. But there are probably more games that go so overwhelmingly in one direction that one of us resigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It happened a couple of years ago, playing "KP167" as the Philippine Army, when victory or defeat boiled down to my Clearance roll on the last Japanese roadblock on the last turn of the game. I succeeded....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob does not mean that the scenario was decided by one DR, but that the game had to go all the way to the last possible (final) DR to decide the game. Game decided by one DR = lame. Game decided by the last possible (final) DR = cool. Big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens all the time to me, in part for the same reason you always find your keys in the last place you look.
When you're fighting for one last location of VP, you claim the win when you get it or keep fighting if you don't.
But I have had a few scenarios come down to the last cc where there's no recourse after the roll. It's always an outstanding scenario when that happens, win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twice in almost succession a buddy and I were playing 2 different ASL scenarios.

The first, A Desperate Affair, saw him win when I jumped into CC on the final player turn with a -1 leader. He ambushed me and advanced out for the win. So last possible action wins the game.

In almost our next scenario, Acts of Defiance, the game goes as usual with the large Russian AFV causing great damage. Somehow a last CC is needed by the Germans for the win. Same opponent needs anything but an 11 or 12 to eliminate me. He rolls an 11. I choose not to roll. So 2nd to last decision, but still, right down to the wire.

In both games the "final die roll" won the game against huge odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bk_otj wrote:
Rob does not mean that the scenario was decided by one DR, but that the game had to go all the way to the last possible (final) DR to decide the game. Game decided by one DR = lame. Game decided by the last possible (final) DR = cool. Big difference.

A Clearance roll is the last roll of a turn, so a Clearance roll on the last turn of a game is the last possible DR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Several times. My most memorable was Totsugeki. My Japanese piled onto the Chinese holding the last Gun, his Chinese died, but his final roll was only enough for a CR and a Japanese win. Until we remembered the Japanese were overstacked, and were also annihilated for a Chinese win instead.

I have also had lots of games come down to last turn DRs, but not necessarily final DRs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that happening two years ago playing SK scenario Paper Army. I was playing the routed Italians and at the last turn in the last hexrow I got FFd by the only Greek squad in range. I had to exit with this squad to win. NMC. So passing morale would mean Italian win, failing it would mean Greek win.

I think that in cases like this, it really doesn't matter who wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Henry Thripshaw
United States
Pacific NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened to me most recently two scenarios ago.

We played J9 - A Stiff Fight and like the original poster, it came down to a final hand-to-hand close combat DR between the Gurkhas and the Japanese in the heavy rain. I won primarily due to killing a leader and a squad in the advancing fire phase and pinning the only remaining Gurkha.

It's always more tense when it comes down to the end and it's very frustrating for one player, but usually after awhile it's a positive memory, not a bummer. Nothing beats a well-balanced fun scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks ASOP guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
I had a Valor of the Guards scenario come down to the the final die roll of the the CC phase. I managed to win as we got stuck in melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played another great game that ended pretty much the same!

both of us thought we were on the ropes at some point, but it came down to a final counterattack on my part that was thwarted by my squad being pinned 1 hex away from one of the victory locations , so close!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.