Hide
13 Posts

Diplomacy» Forums » General

Subject: How well does it play with 3-5? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Phan
msg tools
I have heard time and time again that Diplomacy plays best with 7. How well does it play with less than that?
My gamergroup is basically 3 people, and 4 or 5 is probably the highest it will ever go.
Also, how does the new Avalon Hill version (in terms of rules and bits) compare with the older versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays less well with less people. If you need a Dip fix, play PBEM at any one of the many free online sites. Nothing like stringing out the trauma and anguish over weeks rather than hours! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
In short it does not play well with less than 7 players. If you are less than 7 players there are variant maps that play a lot better.

The rules for the lates AH version is not changed since the many previous versions. Only the bits seems to change once in a while.

Lars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, seven is by far the best, and each decreasing player is a bit worse, on down to three, where I haven't really played a 3-player that I enjoyed.

Here's my experience with good less-than-seven variants

6 player - leave off Italy, or use Edi's 'Chaos Italy' variant
5 player - South America 5.1
4 player - South America 3.2 (or Sail Ho!)
3 player - Hundred

The rules are the same, but the bits in the new one are not as nice as previous editions. If possible, get some older bits to go with your new board, 1990's had the metal bits, 1970/80 had plastic bits, before that were the wooden bits (best, by general consensus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
visit Uhlan Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Mediterranean is a fun 5 player variant

Diplomatic Corp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTodd wrote:
Ancient Mediterranean is a fun 5 player variant

Diplomatic Corp

Seconded. Print out the larger version of this map and this makes for a really satisfying 5-player Diplomacy board and game. I don't think I'd play with less than 5 players on any variant map since you would diminish the best aspect of Diplomacy - negotiation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Phan
msg tools
Is it possible to make this game a print and play, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
In my opinion, seven is by far the best, and each decreasing player is a bit worse, on down to three, where I haven't really played a 3-player that I enjoyed.

Here's my experience with good less-than-seven variants

6 player - leave off Italy, or use Edi's 'Chaos Italy' variant
5 player - South America 5.1
4 player - South America 3.2 (or Sail Ho!)
3 player - Hundred

The rules are the same, but the bits in the new one are not as nice as previous editions. If possible, get some older bits to go with your new board, 1990's had the metal bits, 1970/80 had plastic bits, before that were the wooden bits (best, by general consensus).

I agree with this statement, and would add that for teaching mechanics the 2-player scenario works pretty good, though there is no diplomacy, which is really the heart of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
St_Jimmy wrote:
Is it possible to make this game a print and play, then?
It is possible, as it is, really, with any game. However, the game is relatively cheap ($13 new on BGG marketplace), and I believe that we shouldn't be pirating games. This is my personal stance, both as a game player, and a game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plem45 wrote:
I agree with this statement, and would add that for teaching mechanics the 2-player scenario works pretty good, though there is no diplomacy, which is really the heart of the game.
Yes, learning the mechanics this way is a fantastic idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
visit Uhlan Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a version without the units printed on it. So long as you aren't gonna box it and sell it, you're free to print it and play it. It plays by standard Dip rules - in fact everything you need to know is on DipWiki:
http://www.dipwiki.com/index.php?title=Ancient_Mediterranean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Phan
msg tools
Ah, thank you.
No, I don't plan to box and sell it. I just want to try it out, and if I like it, then I'd definitely invest in actually buying the game. Just wanna "rent" it first.
This might be a dumb question, but what's the link to the maps you mentioned, Jeremiah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a dumb question, and I'm happy to point you in the right direction:
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/s/sailho2.htm
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/s/southamerica32.ht...
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/s/southamerica51.ht...
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/h/hundred.htm
http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/Diplomacy_ChaosItaly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.