Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I come up against on occasion when I tell people that I'm a writer and/or game designer: "Dude, I've got this great idea, it will make millions. I'll share it with you and we'll get rich/we'll split the profits/you'll pay me a reasonable sum up front/other inane comment."

Here's a way to find out what your idea is worth from Schlock Mercenary's Howard Tayler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game idea is most likely worth minus money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not agree more with that article. Ideas are very good but they have no value (at least monetary ) if they do not create anything tangible, that you can use, touch, read, listen, etc.
Or course everything starts with an idea, and they have a relative importance but after all it is what you make with ideas which is valuable and not the ideas per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To wax philosophical (in a Platonic vein) for a moment, Ideas are Forms. They shape the universe. They have value in the most basic sense imaginable: i.e. if there were no intellectual content to a thing, it would not exist. It would be a zero.

BUT

Ideas that correspond to nothing in reality are not Forms; they're fantasies. A notion that has never become incarnate, and never will become incarnate, isn't an Idea. It's just an idea. It's just your imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yet there are better ideas than others. Some ideas have more chance of becoming a valuable product once executed. This is not to say that a bad idea can't be turned into a good product by good execution. I am only saying that some ideas have more chance of leading to a good product once executed.

Last year I had an idea for a play at the school where I teach. (no I am not a drama teacher). I thought it was a good idea, but I struggled with it. It did not work too well. Two days ago I had another idea for a school play. This idea almost writes itself. Over the last two days,the story has been flowing. I already have an 8 page outline just brimming with clever ideas. Some will say that the second play has better execution. I disagree. The second idea had much higher value. A large part of its value is that it resonated with other concepts and triggered other ideas.

Some ideas lead to easier and better execution. In games some ideas lead to convoluted rules and bad execution. On the other hand some ideas lead to elegant rules that almost write themselves because by some accident of nature you find a game mechanic that blends perfectly with the theme. Not all ideas are equal. Some have more value. Though this value only becomes evident in retrospect once you see the finished product. Maybe some people have vision and can see at a glance the path from idea to finished product. Without this vision, certainly all the ideas look like they are equal and therefore of no value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Richard Florida, the economy is driven by the Creative Class. A group of people whose ideas create wealth. An interesting read even if it is elitist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why Utah has one of the highest rates of bankruptcy in the United States. So many people with so-called 'brilliant' business ideas. It seems so few people realized how much WORK it is to turn these ideas into something of value. My dad is an entrepreneur (in the truest sense. I don't even KNOW all the businesses he's tried. Some successful, most not or at least not for long) and if you don't settle in, balls to the wall gut out, sacrifice some hard work, it will never come to anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that finished product is what needs to be valued, I find it strange that people harp on ideas as having no value.

They certainly are the inspiration for creating the finished product, if nothing else.

Is there a correlation between people that devalue ideas with the people that have no great ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willi B wrote:
While I agree that finished product is what needs to be valued, I find it strange that people harp on ideas as having no value.

They certainly are the inspiration for creating the finished product, if nothing else.

Is there a correlation between people that devalue ideas with the people that have no great ideas?

I don't think so, I'd rather say there's a correlation between people that devalue ideas that correctly assess that an idea alone does nothing with the people that have gone through the work of actually realizing an idea.

If you look at video game/mod forums, there's always a veritable shitload of people who'll say something along the lines of "Hey, I may not have the skills or patience to do anything, but I have a really good idea, I just need a few people to realize it!".
Wow, yes, great, you have really good ideas. I have really good ideas too, so does that creepy guy with the skin condition who won't stop playing with his balls in public, and the crazy cat lady from across the street.
An idea requires no effort, you see or experience something, or think about something, your subconcious goes to work and it's there. It happens to everyone, it's not a rare or difficult skill, and the work (Otherwise known as the stuff we hate to do) to make something of it is only just beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
If you invent a device that can store JUST the smell of farts for later enjoyment, it's probably not worth much.

I think this would have great marketability. Think of all the pranks you could pull with it.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Willi B wrote:
I find it strange that people harp on ideas as having no value.

No; I generally see the opposite, actually - people more prone to having good ideas are often the first to call ideas by themselves worthless.

Really, I don't think it's exactly that these folks literally consider ideas worthless, it's more that they're exaggerating to make a good point. An average person will DRASTICALLY overvalue how valuable and worthwhile an idea by itself is, so simply stating that ideas are flat-out worthless is perhaps a means of trying to emphasize this fact.

In general, it would be a good thing for more people to know - ideas just aren't that great by themselves. Same goes for intelligence; I would say that being successful (as a nice, vague metric ) is more about determination and execution than it is about intellect. It's certainly useful too, sure, but alone it's like having a powerful engine in a car without wheels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted this before on "public play testing", but it is SO true:

Many designers have great ideas, very rarely unique and fun mechanics. I have found it very easy to say to someone, "Hey! I got a great idea for a game!" and spit out some clever theme and title like "Space Chickens!" or "When Sofas Revolt!" Then when I start pitching some of the mechanics (even to myself in my own head) I sail into the turbulent storm of "How will it work?"" Unless there soon prevails one stroke-of-brilliance mechanic, :::Sploosh!:::: down goes the whole ship, ideas, mechanics and all.

If that is the case, I might consider posting some of the games mechanics here on BGG. To try and raise the ship out of the deep, murky waters of the unplayable, un-fun game graveyard. At least there is a chance some of you geniuses out there might help it out.

I always find when I even BEGIN to describe how a game plays to another human being, as I hear the words coming out of my head, certain issues IMMEDIATELY get red-flagged. They may be minor, but important little things that sounded good on paper, but once described, don't sound so fun or just not quite right in practice.

BGG may have some of the best advice, smartest gamers, and best playtesters in the WORLD. But I think any designer worth his/her salt will not give away that gem of brilliance at the heart of a new game idea. Not unless it is not quite sparkling the way it should.

....Ideas are golden, as Einstien says, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Ideas may be easy to think up, but require a whole lot more to follow through with.

best of luck..and dreams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Buffett said in an interview:

"If you have two good ideas in your lifetime, you can afford to give one of them away."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ornelles
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
George S. Patton

My friends I designed, created, and played many of our own custom games. One thing we always did was that no matter how crazy the idea we just went with it. We made our own pieces, boards, and art and created our own rules. We then playtested our prototypes.

One thing was true over and over again...the more offbeat or strange the concept the more fun the game turned out to be. When we tried to do some classic type games they never "paned out" but the strange ones became our new classics.

One good idea also spawned many others. Often one person would come up with the concept/rules, the other with the artwork or pieces, and I was always known as the "rules guy". By working together we made one person's idea turn into something real utilizing our different skill sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
superflypete wrote:
If you invent a device that can store JUST the smell of farts for later enjoyment, it's probably not worth much.

I think this would have great marketability. Think of all the pranks you could pull with it.
laugh

Patent Pending
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.