BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: economies of scale question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have an idea of how much Risk would cost if it was published in small doses like the "expensive" games? Everyone knows that it'd cost more, but other than blind guessing, i have no idea by how much.

I'm just using Risk as an example since it's one that many are familiar with. Being in the US, i could walk out of the store with it and a soda or two for $30, and i think everyone who buys it feels satisfied when they open it up and see all the colorful plastic and mounted board. I doubt many feel like they've gotten a deal, but compared to most games, they're definitely getting an economies of scale discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do value more: game pieces or game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where, but there's obviously a disconnect, because quality or fun doesn't have anything to do with what i'm talking about. I'm simply wondering if anyone knows how much Risk would cost if it were limited to small print runs - say 2000 - versus the not at all small print runs it enjoys now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I'm not sure where, but there's obviously a disconnect, because quality or fun doesn't have anything to do with what i'm talking about. I'm simply wondering if anyone knows how much Risk would cost if it were limited to small print runs - say 2000 - versus the not at all small print runs it enjoys now.

And if it involved new art, and rules writing, and typesetting on all of the above, and all the development that goes into making a game actually work from the initial submission? Probably around $60-80, but only because they clearly wouldn't have to spend any money playtesting the damn thing

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Based on my talks with manufacturers and my still limited knowledge, I'd say Risk would cost twice as much with smaller print runs. Maybe four times as much if you drop below 1,000 units. This is a semi-educated guesstimate only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably more.

If you're creating unique pieces, the cost of the molds would make your first 100 or 1000 copies very expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic Risk has a handful of piece types in several colours, yes?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
caffeinehead wrote:

It would be interesting to identify the specific factors with economies-of-scale in a typical game production; a few of these could be quantified, in isolation.

For example, here's 2 specific production factors with economies-of-scale:

- die-cut or molded components
fixed expense: create a die, or mold
running expense: stamp components with die, or, mold generations of plastic components, etc

- artwork
fixed expense: artists, proofs, final artwork
running expense: printing cards, box covers, etc

(Besides production factors, other economies-of-scale apply when selling a game- Marketing, Shipping/Distribution, etc etc. These are more difficult to quantify- but seem thankfully tangential to a breakdown of basic production factors, anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.