Subject: Trading Vs. Selling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
maRk!
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools

If a user has a game listed as "For Trade" does that usually mean they are only open to trading and not selling?

I'm guessing they would list it in the GeekBay if it were for sale, but am not 100% certain.

I haven't acquired any games that I want to trade yet, but am finding quite a few users who are willing to trade for copies of games I would like to own.

Suggestions/helpful hints appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
smark wrote:

If a user has a game listed as "For Trade" does that usually mean they are only open to trading and not selling?

There is no distinction between trading and selling on the 'geek. I mean, when game is marked as 'For Trade', it means that the owner is willing to part with it, usually for the hard cash in exchange but it really doesn't cost to ask whether he would like to receive something from your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It never hurts to ask. I have games on my trade list that I would much rather trade than sell because they're oop and are more likely to earn me other oop games. Cash is cash though and a good offer is hard to refuse, so just try your luck.

Regardless of if you're trading or buying, it's always a good idea to send a pm and let the trader/seller know of your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mattlokk
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Price will overcome all objections my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
grouchysmurf wrote:
There is no distinction between trading and selling on the 'geek.

This is not true. (And I think the original poster already understands this.)

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm happy to entertain requests to buy games that I have listed as "for trade" (even for games that I don't also have listed as "for sale").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone would mind too much if you asked them if they'd be willing to sell.

The main distinction between Trading and Selling from the site's perspective is that we ask for a 3% commission on sales facilitated by the site. As such, if you do work out a sale you should request that it be conducted through the Marketplace. Not only does that give us a record for commission purposes, but it also offers some amount of official recourse should anything go wrong.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once made a 'trade' for a new-in-shrink game, and only discovered after reaching agreement that the other party didn't actually own the game, but instead purchased it online and had it delivered directly to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
greg wrote:
This is not true. (And I think the original poster already understands this.)

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm happy to entertain requests to buy games that I have listed as "for trade" (even for games that I don't also have listed as "for sale").

Ha! That is something new for me. Sorry for misleading anyone.

When I mark my games 'For Trade' (I've done it once so far), I do it solely for the purpose of selling it as rarely am willing to exchange the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally, I much prefer to trades games listed as "For trade". get something new and shiny. If I seel it, I will probably end up with an overall lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maRk!
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the input.

I started getting into gaming in January and have already bought 30 games/expansions brand new.

I'm not a player who needs to own a brand new game.

I'll definitely try hitting up traders for any games I'm interested in from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
smark wrote:
I started getting into gaming in January and have already bought 30 games/expansions brand new.

Oh, sweet hectic entry into hobby. I was through it myself. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.