Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Trading/Economic games with uneven information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Linger
msg tools
Are there any trading/economic games with uneven information about future economic events? And if so, do they play well?

What I'm envisioning is a game where at certain points in the game, there will be predetermined events that will cause big swings in resource availability and market conditions, but players don't have equal access to the information. Say, each player gets to look at one of the hidden future event cards. Or different roles have different access, or it's something that players can buy, or something like that.

Sorry if this is too obscure, but I'll bet there's a game like this out there; it's just really hard to search for one with my limited knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hab & Gut has uneven information among the players. Effectively, it's a stock game where players are purchasing and selling commodities, and also shifting the stock prices with action cards. A player shares a rack of market-influence cards with his left and right neighbors, and on a players turn he plays one card from one rack for full value and one for half value, each card influencing a stock +6, +4, +2, -2, -4, or -6. It's rather good, though I don't know about US availability. Funagain is apparently getting some for $45, though I think that might be on the pricey side for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In La Città and Kingsburg, there are cards that impact the game, and one person might get to peek at them while the others do not. In Agricola, there's a card that lets one person use all of the upcoming Round cards, while most players are limited to the current and past Rounds, like usual. In Cuba, one person gets to decide which Acts will pass through Parliament, which will decide the Tariffs, Subsidies, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you specifically thinking of game where such tidal shifts are not controlled by the players themselves?

Because if such things are within the purview of player choice, they're by definition uneven information.

The intentions, desires, values, etc of economic agents are always unknowable until they are manifest.

I have a feeling you're thinking of a little more specifically asymmetric information about agent-neutral events.

Medieval Merchant has a bit of this, but it is mostly player-controlled. Players hold a hand of "city discs" which determine when various cities on the board become open for trade. Players only know which discs they themselves hold, but can control when those specific cities become open, not knowing when or by whom the other cities will become such.

That's about the best I can offer, as I'm not really informed on the "big" economic games out there, that surely have this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Le Havre is an economic game with lots of resources and buildings (visible to all) which do various things. It also has a secret deck of a few shuffled special buildings (with stronger effects than normal buildings) that will be drawn periodically. There is one normal building you can use to peek at the top few cards of the special building deck and thus gain information about the future that other players won't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.