United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
So last week I managed to sell my copy of Warcraft: The Board game, and after E-Bay fees I made something like $23.50 on it. I then immediately turned around and used that money to purchase a copy of Aquire (Hasbro edition) through the BGG Marketplace. Hopefully it will arrive this weekend before I head out to the semi-regular gathering of 121ites (group of friends from college).

I'm having some trouble breaking through barriers when it comes to board games. Most of the guys in our group who play board games are only into war games; it started with Risk, then Battle Cry, and I was recently able to get them into the Game of Thrones. Most of the girls on the other hand don't like board games at all. So I'm stuck here in the middle, trying to find games that both sides might enjoy. I know that I really like Acquire, and I'm hoping that somehow, through some miracle, it'll go over well with both sides...

All that said, my gaming collection now consists of:

Acquire
Battle Cry
Carcassonne
A Game of Thrones
Monopoly ($1.50 at thrift store in perfect condition...couldn't resist)
Risk (found it in the attic)
Stratego

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try to get them to play Carcassonne. For the war gamers, point out how cutthroat it can be, and to the women point out how cooperative and pretty the city can be!

Worked for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
re
My wife is a non gamer however Settlers (as anyone will tell you a great “gateway” game for anyone) gave her the push she needed to play nerdy games. Another game that works very well with the girls in our group is Union Pacific, Medici and the afore mentioned Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers is an awesome game. Play a few of the regular game, and then when you, your buddies, and your wife feel ready, play cities and knights. Cities and Knights is a real blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree..plus....
Settlers was the game that opened my wife up to boardgaming as well. She is not a wargamer by any stretch, but she does like the following other games: Wyatt Earp, Carcassonne, and Finstere Flure.

That last one (Finstere Flure) can be really cutthroat and unpredictable...I'd highly recommend it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Art
Two words: Modern Art

With smart people, I've had a lot of success with Modern Art. It's simple, it's intuitive, it's fun, and it's interesting and challenging in ways that most people seem to easily grasp. Even Carcasonne has those awkward field-scoring rules at the end which people rarely understand until it's too late (the Hunters & Gatherers edition is better in this respect). Modern Art is the complete package. And it's now back in print and pretty cheap.

Settlers is great too, of course.

My "top three" I usually suggest are Settlers, Modern Art, and Bohnanza. But as always, it depends on how inherently gaming-averse your buddies are. Two other good choices are Liar's Dice and Mu & Mehr, both of which can be a good gateway games because of their similarty to classic games which your friends may already be exposed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keller
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I recommend Ticket to Ride.

Two weeks back, my 4 gaming buddies and their wives got together with my wife and I.

The 10 of us sat around our massive dining room table and broke out Puerto Rico and Ticket.

Most of the women had tried Puerto Rico and a couple of them liked it ok. I recommended that we break in to 2 games of 5.

The 3 women who played Ticket LOVED it.

As soon as the Puerto Rico game ended, 2 games of Ticket had been played. The 3 gals playing Ticket convinced the other wives to play a 5 girl game of Ticket. They then proceeded to play 2 more games. The girls were hooting and having a blast.

I've NEVER in my years of boardgaming seen girls get so into a board game (other than like Apples to Apples or Scattergories).

Funny thing is, I'm a die hard gamer of the 4 to 8 hour variety and yet Ticket I'd say is one of my TOP 5 games right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have the right idea, trying to get the group to play Acquire. I'd probably get some to play Carcassonne, and some to play Acquire, and if the wargame-types can't get into either one, Game of Thrones will work, but takes pretty long.

Keep trying; you have good games to start with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Deems
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Game
I would like to second Brad's suggestion for Ticket to Ride. I have played countless two player games with my wife. My wife is a big card playing fan but is very resistant to board games. She is a TTR fanatic now. Everyone we have played with adores the game and immediately asks how they can order it. Keep in mind that these new players are casual gamers at best and have absolutely no idea that German style board games even exist. I cannot say enough positive about this games ability to attract casual gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't fear the farmers
Since you've already got Carcassonne in your collection I'd recommend you try that one with your female gamers. I got my wife to try it Saturday afternoon and she asked ME to play on Sunday and Monday. She's already asking me about additional expansions (we already have I&C) because "there aren't enough tiles".

I play pretty cutthroat, which my wife can handle, but you can tone it down a bit if you think it will turn off your friends. Also, the farmers really aren't all that difficult to use and score. We played our first game without them and after the next game (when we used them) our reaction was "That's it?" Just take your time when placing and scoring them to see which fields are connected.

If Carcassonne is well received I also recommend adding Inns & Cathedrals to the mix. The big meeple adds another small piece of strategy, and the extra tiles come in handy to complete areas that vanilla Carcassonne tends to leave unfinished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.