GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,975 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Gen Con Indy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hale
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I have been a gamer all my life, but I took a break from it for a few years and now I'm back into the swing of things. During this time I have never attended Gen Con.

I missed the pre-reg period, therefore I can't sign up for anything until I get there.

I live in Los Angeles and I know that they are going to have one here in december.

Since I missed the pre reg is it worth traveling down to indy. Is Gen Con all that? Would I be better off just waiting for the one out here?

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GCIndy is great. I think it's much bigger. It's so fun that I wish I could live there every day of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sullivan
United States
San Francsico
California
flag msg tools
If you can get to Indy, then do it.

GenCon SoCal was kind of small last year (I know it was the first year in Anaheim but I expected it to be larger). But if you can't get to Indy, you could always go to SoCal, and fit a trip to Disneyland in at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go GO
If you're choosing between Indy and SoCal, definitely go to Indy! Of course, I've never been there, but I did go to SoCal last year. It was the first time there, and did reasonably well for a first time. But Indy should be much bigger, with lots to do.

Incidentally, the schedule of events is available in a database format (HanDbase, useful for Palms, Pocket PCs and Windows-based PCs - free demo version at their site) at http://tinyurl.com/6abt8. You can use it to plan what you want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with not having preregistered is getting in the door. Last year the lines were quite long. You used to be able to get a ticket wednesday night, but I've preregistered lately so I'm not sure if they still do that.

Good news is don't worry about getting event tickets. There are plenty of demo areas that you can spend the whole Con playing games in. They also have game libraries that you can check games out of and play without an event ticket. or you could just play the games you buy in the exhibit hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brooks
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generic Tickets
You can also buy "generic tickets" that will probably allow you to get into a number of boardgaming events. Otherwise, like someone else pointed out, spend time at the exhibit hall doing demos and go to the GameBase7 area to check out games you like and find other takers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.