Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: General Gripes and Observations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally avoid making negative posts, but there a few little things that have been bugging me, so I thought I'd get them all out at once - and then I don't have to think about them anymore!

1. How come I still have to cut counters out of their frames with an Xacto knife to get nice smooth edges free of "nubs"?

The technology exists to make nice counters that easily and cleanly pop out of their frames (Carcassonne, New England, for example). I wish game companies, and Fantasy Flight in particular, would switch their production sources to printers who are able to provide such a service.

2. Stop printing text so small! Okay, I know my 40+ year-old eyes are starting to succumb to their age, but c'mon, give us all a break.

The text on the Vortex tiles is probably the most perverse example of micro-sized text in a game. How about the quick reference cards for Power Grid? What's with the mouse type? If text is meant to be read, then make it readable.

3. Why the useless generic box inserts? Many game companies insert elaborate plastic inserts for holding components in their boxes, which is a very nice and much appreciated perk - so long as the insert was specifically designed for the game.

I recently tossed out the extremely impressive generic insert for Maharaja, because it simply wasn't practical for the game's components. I've encountered several other such situations that I can't recall at the moment.

If you're going to put a generic insert in a box, then make it truly generic, with several large, medium, and small non-descript compartments. That's all we need.

4. Who's buying all those copies of Rage on Funagain? That game has consistently been at the top of their Best Sellers list for at least 2 years.

5. Please make more games that are playable by more than 4 players! I am fully aware that 6-player games can sometimes be problematic in terms of downtime and component costs, but as we try to grow this hobby and include more of our friends, family, and co-workers in our game-playing activities, chances are more than 4 players will be present at a gathering.

I don't know about you, but I find it a lot more fun to get everyone involved in one big game, rather than split folks into smaller groups.

6. Wouldn't it be nice to know how many copies are left of a particular title before it goes out of print? I know this is completely impractical, but I wish there were some way of knowing how many copies of a game a publisher has left, and whether or not they plan to do a reprint.

Sometimes, there's a new game out that I'm interested in, but I put off buying it either because I'm on the fence, or there are so many other games I need to buy and play first. By the time I'm ready to purchase the original game, much to my dismay, it's gone out of print and is nowhere to be found - at least not at reasonable prices.

I can't think of an immediate example, but this has happened a couple of times in the last 3 years.

Okay, that's enough! Thanks for making this space available for me to vent.

Games are great!
-Eddy Bee

"Once a gamer, always a gamer!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rage
Old and new versions of Rage seem to sell for $20 or more on Ebay. I sold my old Uno version just this last April for that much.

Seems like Ravensburger is really good at creating a box insert that will hold all the components of a game very well.

Yes there is a need for more six and seven player games. I keep having to recommend old out of print titles for six players. Eight or nine players split nicely, but not six or seven!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why rage?
I believe some may be buying rage cards simply for its versatility. Offhand, I think it can at least accomodate lost cities, david and goliath, ole and sticheln.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some of the same gripes as you do.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=view&jo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
re: Maharaja insert
Did you see this? http://www.poeppelkiste.de/gutespiele/2004/raja/einsatz.jpg

(posted from here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/43414 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you, EB. My 50+ year-old eyes are on the slippery slope to the dreaded "large print;" I'm too clumsy for some of the otherwise excellent inserts in A Game of Thrones, even; we usually get six or seven players when I have a well-advertised game night with my group, and while Bohnanza and Acquire are popular, I'd love to get Domaine, New England, Torres and Java played by these guys. I guess two groups of three will have to do! Some games are really only best with exactly four (Serenissima or New England) or five (A Game of Thrones), and we simply can't get these in. Others (Torres, Aladdin's Dragons) scale well, and they get some play.

For a rant, I thought you kept your temper well, by the way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.